Every Word

twenty-two.

I didn't bother you about anything after the whole dog thing was taken care of. I didn't ask you why you seemed so bothered that night, and I didn't ask you anymore questions about what you seemed so down about. Even if it really was just your dog. You seemed happy for the most part. You seemed to be enjoying life as it came at you. You just had the occasional silent moment where you sat there staring at nothing. It made me feel horrible that you could just tell me what was on your mind. Did I do something wrong?

You were spacing again as we sat at the drive-in burger joint. You hadn't been there before and you wanted to know if the best slushes were really served there like I'd told you. You seemed fine as we drove there. You talked and laughed and joked. It was perfect, even though I knew you were still hiding something.

I think you were staring at an old couple eating outside the service window. They looked happy. The kind of happy that's true. Where you are with the one that you love and you know nothing bad will happen when you are around them. Even if you are seventy odd years old.

"Cute huh?" I ask nodding towards the elders.

"Um, what?" You looked at me confused.

"The old couple. They look so," I stopped as not to let anything slip that might set you off.

"Happy." You sighed. You looked sad. Like you the old couple really meant something to you. Like you knew something about them and it hurt that you knew.

"Do you need any extra sauces." The teenage waitress in roller blades asks as she hands us our food.

"Ketchup please?" I look towards you for an answer. You only shake your head and smile. It's not like the old people, the smile. It's not right.

I hate to use his name like this, but God dammit. God dammit Sam, why?