Every Word

twenty-three.

We kind of stopped talking for a little bit. But it's not like we didn't see each other, it's just that, small talk seemed to be all we were capable of. We'd ask how we were and how we've been, then we just sat around. And I couldn't take it.

"It's not something you can just forget is it?" I ask and took your hand into mine as we walked into the park.

It was beautiful. It was late Winter as a light layer of snow covered the ground. Only enough to barely see the ground. Everyone was bundled up tight and warm. Even through our gloves, I could feel the heat from your hand.

"What?" You asked. I got a glance of your face. You looked confused.

"I know something has been bothering you. I just didn't want to bother you about it." I took in a lung full of cold air and let it out in a cloud of hot breath. "I don't mind If you don't want to tell me about it. I just hope you can let go of it a little." I wondered to myself if that sounded rude. "Not to sound rude." I said making sure to sound as sympathetic as possible.

"I understand. But, it really isn't anything I can work around you know." You looked up at the sky as it began to snow just a little bit more. You smiled at it. "But I guess for now I could try to ignore it." Your smile was gone and you began to think.

"Are you thinking about it?" I asked.

"Yes." You sighed and watched clouds escape in your breath. "I'm sorry If I've seemed a little, gloomy the past few weeks." You squeezed my hand and looked up at me.

"I don't mind. Sometimes our feelings and emotions get a hold of our selves and we have no choice but to feel a certain way." I smiled back at you. "Want to sit?" I asked heading towards a bench.

"Sure."

We sat in silence for a bit watching snow begin to layer, though it was still under an inch. This silence wasn't like before. It was comfortable and quickly broken.

"I really do want to tell you." You said taking my hand with both of yours. "It's just something that's really hard to say to some one you love so much." Your eyes wandered my face looking for a sign of a reaction.

"I guess I get that. If you can't tell me, really, don't worry about it. Just, try to feel better." I gave you a half a smile letting you know I wish I knew, but also letting you know I was comfortable without knowing as well. "I love you, and would never make you do something you don't want to."

"I love you too." you smiled up at me and for once it was a convincing smile. Like you were really happy. Then we sunk back into that calm silence. It may have been quiet outside, but inside I repeatedly was asking myself what could possibly be wrong. What was wrong Sam? What were you thinking?