Every Word

six.

The day track ended for me felt like, well, it felt like Christmas. You know that warm feeling you get, walking into your living room knowing there's something there that you want, and you get it? Well that's how I felt. I woke up knowing exactly what I was going to do that afternoon. I wasn't going to run laps, throw discs, or be kept away from you.

I decided to switch places with you that afternoon. I had a brown paper bag with a sandwich, an ice tea, and a bag of barbecue potato chips. I sat there eating my sandwich at the same table we always sat and waited for you to come out. Other than you waiting for me.

Half way through my sandwich, and a couple sips of tea you came out of the store with a brown paper bag holding your lunch.

"Early today?" You said with a smile. I smiled back nodding my head, a mouth full of turkey and cheese.

"Track ended." I said swallowing the sandwich. I opened my chips and watched you sit down.

"Was the season good?" You asked opening your bag.

"It was good. I placed a few times, broke some P.R.s er um," I wasn't sure if you knew what a P.R. meant, "personal records." I start munching on my chips.

"Well that sounds good. So what are you going to do with your afternoons now?" You said this like you knew the answer. Or at least you were hoping for a certain answer.

"Well, If you don't mind." I said clearing my throat of chip crumbs. "I was going to stop by here every so often, the days I have no plans."

"I don't mind." You cracked a small smile. "I don't want to stand in the way of your social life though." You had a look of guilt in your eyes hiding excitment.

"I'll make sure that you don't." I said laughing lightly. "And don't worry, I'm coming here by choice right? I like talking to you." I tried to keep my facial expression serious but light. Making sure you knew I was being honest.

"Me too." you said lightly. You sounded a little nervous.

"We should hang out some time." I said not thinking. "I mean, outside of this store." I probably sounded like an over excited little boy. "Do you go out much?"

You laughed lightly, "I don't get out much actually. I don't have a car, nor does my mom." You looked down at your hands, like you were ashamed to not have a car. "But I would like to go out with you some time." you looked up and smiled.

"Great." I smiled big. We continued to eat and talk.

That day felt like my greatest success, ever.