Every Word

seven.

We were going to hang out that day. I remember saying that over and over again in my head. It seemed so cheesy, like those ridiculous teeny bopper television shows. I felt like the kid in the pink polo shirt and tight pants freaking out about a first date. That didn't change how excited I was.

"Just pick me up at the elementary school." You said for the third time. "Really, it's okay. That way you don't have to pull in then out and turn around. You just have to drive up to the curb, and go."

"But it's raining." I said laughing at you.

"I like the rain." You said in a proud voice.

"Fine." I'd been defeated. "See you in a few minutes." I hung up the phone and headed for the elementary school.

I pulled up to the curb to find you in a yellow rain coat, gray v-neck, dark blue umbrella with a funny looking brown handle, black rubber boots with a flower print all over them, and long flared jeans torn at the bottom. Your hair was a little messy from waiting in the rain and wind. You were wet, completely soaked. You probably looked like a mess to anyone on the street. But to me, you were outrageously gorgeous.

"How long have you been waiting here?" I asked covering my worried voice with a bit of laughter.

"Only a couple minutes, no need to worry." You said. You saw straight through my awkward smile. You always did.

"What are we doing today?" You asked as we drove through the rain. My car heater was junk and you were shivering. Maybe it was because you were wet, or maybe just the shitty car. But I felt horrible.

"We will be trying to keep warm in this nasty weather." I told you laughing. I tossed you my sweater from the back seat and you looked at it like you've never seen a sweater before in your life. "Put it on." I urged. "You look like you're freezing."

"Thank you." You slipped it on, it was probably three sizes to big. I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm slightly smaller than you okay?" You were laughing too.

Right then and there, I realized, you were in my car. You were in my sweater. You were laughing and talking with me. We were together, and I had you for the day. And for the first time in a while, I was afraid of a girl.