Every Word

eight.

That first time we went out, I didn't know if it was a date or not. It was eating at me all day. We had a meal together, that could be seen as a date. We raided a toy store, possibly date material. We went sight seeing. That could be seen as a date.

"I've never been out here while it was raining." You said touching the car window. You traced the rain drops down the glass. "Thanks for today." You said turning towards me.

"Thanks for coming with me." I said laughing. You just stared at me, and this whole questionable date thing was just boiling up inside me. I started the car and backed out of the small gravel pit. "Time to go home?" I asked you.

"Sure." You smiled and turned back to the window.

The silence in that car was killing me. I didn't know what was going on in your head and I needed a distraction.

"How about some music." I smile and pushed some buttons on the radio. It was a radio station that I imagined no one my age would listen to. It was called The Malt Shop. I was about the change the channel in embarrassment until you started to sing along. "You know this?" I asked in shock.

"Of coarse! My mom plays this stuff around the house all the time." She snaps her fingers in sync with the snapping in the song. "We inherited a bunch of my great grandmothers records when she passed. This music is just so..." I loved when you stumbled for words. You got this adorable expression on your face. Like you were lost, but you were happy about it.

"It's so happy. And relaxing, right?" I hoped we were on the same page.

"Exactly! I wish music was still like this."

We sang to oldies tunes and laughed all the drive home. This was better then singing to country tunes with my dad on our way to go fishing. This girl was something special. You were special.

Then as I pulled into your driveway, "We should do something like this again." You said.

"I'd love too." I still didn't know if that day was a date, but you wanted it to happen again, what ever it was. "I'll see you at lunch Monday." I say smiling and waving goodbye as you left the car.

You looked back and smiled before you entered your house.

"Damn." I said to myself. Turned up the radio, and sang like a loser to Clyde Mcphatter's Lover's Question.

Each day with you was like a masterpiece in the making. I hoped.