Every Word

nine.

I remember that first day you weren't at work. You were sick and I didn't know. I sat there for a while waiting for you to come out of the grocery store. To see you in your work apron and your paper bag. But you didn't show. I thought maybe you might have had plans and took a day off. Making up stories in my mind. I came back the next day, and you still weren't there. The third day I decided to find out where you were.

"I think she's been sick." The freckled freshman told me. He was covering the cash register for you for the past couple days.

"Oh, thanks." I said patting the counter and headed out the door.

I went to her house to find no lights on through the windows or over the door way. I was debating with myself weather or not to go and see what was up. Maybe that would be awkward. I mean, I'd only been to your house a few times, and have only been in your drive way. I made up my mind and stepped out of the car.

I knocked on the door and saw a light flash on in a window towards the back of the house. Then the door handle started to move. You barely cracked the door open just enough to see who was there.

"Oh, hi." You said like I was a stranger. You opened the door a bit more, just enough to where you could put half your body through. "Ummm, I'm sorry if it sounds rude but, I really don't think you should be here." You said this in the most sincere way. But it still hurt a little.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I was just stopping by to see if you were all right." I tried to smile. You smiled back and opened the door wide enough to where you were now standing in the doorway. You were in your pajamas and looked like you hadn't seen daylight for ages.

"Thanks." Your smile faded a little as you yawned and began to speak again, "I've just been really sick and I don't want to give you some kind of bug or anything." A car drove by real fast and the sound made you jump. I laughed a little and realized how far out of reality you were.

"Oh, well, I hope you get better soon. I guess I should leave, let you get some sleep." I said smiling.

"I'll try." You tilted your head to side, put on a half crooked smile, "Really, thank you for stopping by."

"No problem. Anything for a friend." I shrugged and stepped back from the door.

"Bye." You waved and slowly closed the door. As I continued to my car the back light turned off and imagined you sleeping.

A peaceful image of you, plain faced and eyes closed. Smiling lightly at the thought I pulled out of the driveway and headed home.

You were okay, so I was okay.