Status: Back, and updating weekly!

Materialize

A Step in a Dark Direction

The ring of my key chain twirled in a perfect circle on my middle finger, as I watched the numbers on the elevator slowly ascend. I whistled along to the muzak, the paper bag filled with pop tarts and liquor nestled in the crook of my elbow. As the elevator car reached my floor, an undesirable stench filled my nostrils. “Shit” I muttered, crinkling my nose. The door opened with a whoosh, and I stepped over the threshold and onto the carpet floors of the hallway. As I walked down the corridor towards my door, I passed apartment 24 and the repugnant smell overwhelmed me. I froze, hesitating to take another step, and instead took one step back against better judgement. I stood there for a moment, just staring at the door. Slowly, I leaned toward the door and pressed my ear to the heavy, cold metal. For reasons I couldn't explain, I closed my hand around the knob and to my surprise, it opened with ease. A musty grey light spilled from the doorway. I left my bag of groceries in the hall, stepping into the apartment.

“Hello?” I called out, and the echo of my own voice startled me. I heard a movement in the back bedroom. I should have turned on my heel, ran for the hallway, into my home where I was safe with Sharona. Instead, I followed the sound. The door was ajar, a single stream of light flowing out. I push it open with a single finger, hoping it was stuck, any reason not to proceed. It flew open with the force of a great fist. The room was bare except for a double bed covered in blankets. I heard a whooshing sound from the covers, followed by a groan. I took a step closer, and with further investigation discovered hair amongst the blankets. Eyes flew open, and then I noticed the pale grey face they belonged to. Flattened and covered in hair, a mouth became visible as well. With a snarl, a voice of indistinguishable gender screeched “Kill me, you filthy creature. Put me out of this misery.” A leathery hand reached out from the blankets, grabbing at me. With a shiver, I yelped but could not jump away. With obvious delight, the being began to laugh melodically, the sound doubled and continued to do so until the whole room was filled with a chorus of cackles. I closed my eyes, wrapping my arms around my face.

“Please! STOP!” All at once, the laughter died. I gasped heavily, hesitantly lowering my arms. When I opened my eyes, it was my own walls that stared back. Standing there, in my bare living room, a bottle of vodka in one hand, I breathed heavily. I let out a loud scream, and threw the bottle to the ground. With a great cry, I took a step towards the wall and connected my fist with great force. As sobs racked through me, my hands flattened the wall and I rested my forehead on the cool plaster. I had never been so exhausted.

“Here, have some water.” Her voice was dripping with sympathy, but I took the glass anyway. Being careful not to brush her fingers, terrified of what would result in such an encounter. I drank the water quickly, and shuffled over to the only furniture I owned: my blue recliner. I plopped down, resting my elbows on my knees. I rubbed my face with my dry hands, and sighed.

“I can't do this anymore, Shar. I'm scared. I don't know what's happening to me.” I glanced over to my phone, considered calling my mother again. Maybe I'd ask if I could come back home. Undoubtedly she'd laugh, and hang up. Tell father that the disappoint called and begged for his life back. After I'd put them through, they'd never agree to it. After all of the restless nights, filled with my screams as I navigated my way through horrendous nightmares, my mother gave me an ultimatum. Therapy or I was out. She said she couldn't watch me suffer any longer. I think she just missed having a good night's sleep. I should have been locked up, that would have solved all of our problems. “I'm going out.” The moment I said it, I couldn't take it back. I stood up, and walked toward the closet to grab my jacket that hadn't been worn in months. Sharona followed close behind.

“You are? Eli, are you sure that's a good idea?” If she tried to hide the terror in her voice, she failed horribly.

“What do you think I'm going to do? Murder an innocent child? Jesus, Shar stop looking at me like I'm a walking time bomb. Besides, aren't you the one who's always encouraging me to leave the house and enter the world again? Maybe it's time I stop ordering in groceries and actually go to a market for once.” I laughed, trying to sound light and not as terrified as I was. “Go hangout in the walls or whatever you do when you're not bothering me. I'll be back in no time, love.” With one last, reassuring smile I turned and unlocked the door. With my hand on the knob, I took a deep breath and opened the door. I stepped into the well lit hallway, and wondered for a moment which way it was to the elevator.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it's been five years since I've updated. A lot has happened, but I am back. And I am going to see where this particular story goes. Give it a read, feedback is appreciated!