I-N-K

I-N-K

The note crunched in Jex’s hand. Three years, three fucking years of therapy was what Victoria had given Jessica. Not to mention one hell of a mental disorder. That was all in the past now, though. Jessica was Jex’s past.

Her eyes were set into a cold stare of disgust. Jex’s glare lay upon the small white house on the opposite side of the street. Her house. A toddler’s tricycle sat in the front yard, tipped over. The paint was peeling like dead skin around the window frames and tiles of the roof were missing. She had always known Victoria was something and nothing.

The backdoor was easily to break, Jex knew beforehand that no one was in, she had followed Victoria’s schedule religiously for the past few weeks. There was a panel of fence in the back yard that would give way. Victoria was never really into woodcraft programmes. Jex tucked her short bangs behind her ears and began to walk around the block, to the back yards.

One, two, three, four.

Victoria’s garden was three down, the loose panel was the third from the right. Her hand ran lightly against the panels as she walked down the alley behind the gardens. Her sharp stilettos clicked harshly against the concrete. Jex stopped at the fourth fence down. She crouched before the third panel from the right and pushed against it, until it gave way. Her gloves hands got a little grimy, but she wiped that away on her leather pants. She saw that the panel wouldn’t go past halfway. Jex sighed to herself as she got onto her knees. This was so pathetic.

On the other side of the fence, she stood upright and wiped her hands once more on her pants. She looked at the decrepit excuse of a family home before her. The bricks had all been painted white, quite tackily. Dead ivy crept up the house The back door was an ugly shade of blue and a pile of garden toys blocked the steps to the basement. The grass was ridiculously overgrown and weeds littered the area. Jex wrinkled her nose a little and walked towards the back door, stilettos sinking into the mud as she walked.

The house had a pitiful excuse for a patio. The cracked concrete revealed the tangle of weeks below. The white walls were trashed with burns, the creators of which resided in a sheet of cigarettes all over the back yard. Jex noted the majority of which were only half smoked, there would be enough to create 50 cigarettes if she collected them. She felt a niggling feeling in her skull and proceeded to robotically draw a pack of smokes and a lighter from her jacket pocket. She leant her shoulder against the wall as she sparked up and shielded the flame from non-existent winds. She took a heavy drag to get the cigarette burning, whilst using her free hand to re-pocket the box and lighter. Jex finally breathed out the smoke, watching for a moment as it curled beautifully through the air.

She stood upright again and observed the door before her. The wood looked incredibly flimsy and the glass had been broken long ago. Jex sighed at the sheer simplicity of everything. She had never expected it would be this simple. She slipped the cigarette between her lips as she used both hands to wrench the door open. It gave way easily and swung open with a eerie squeal. Jex peered inside. The house was just as filthy. She backdoor led into a small pantry area; shoes littered the cracked tiles of the floor. The shelves were stacked with all odds and ends. The kitchen was worse; the work surfaces were thick with grime. The sink was full of plates encrusted with food. Jex had to double over with repulsion as she watched a ‘roach crawl over the dishes. More cigarette butts filled the sink, making her feel slightly better about smoking in the house.

The hall was little better, Jex dreaded to think of what was residing in the filthy carpet. The clock chimed one in the afternoon. Jex smiled, perfect, she though, Victoria would be home in twenty minutes. Victoria would flounce into the house; Jex would take off her head, end of. She took another drag of her cigarette, inhaling and exhaling. Yes, she had it all worked out. Something amber and sparkling beckoned from the corner of the hall: a liquor cabinet. She smiled a secret smile to herself before walking over to root through the cabinet. She finally settled on some straight vodka and proceeded to take it through to the kitchen.

Whilst working through the cupboards to find a glass, Jex stumbled across some stale Pop Tarts; she shrugged to herself and popped them in the toaster none the less. Giving up on the glasses, Jex brought the neck of the bottle to her lips and took a lengthy swig of the vile liquid; before taking another drag of her diminishing cigarette. She spied a phone in the corner of the room. Seconds later the cords were cut and Jex was already walking in to the living room, to disconnect more phones.

She returned to the kitchen minutes later, the house had three phones, all of which were now lying off the hook. To her delight, the Pop Tarts had popped; she stubbed her smoke out in the sink as she made her way over to the toaster. She stood, 6 foot, in her pinprick stilettos, and leant against the walls, as she continued to eat the Pop Tarts. This was becoming terribly boring. She slipped another smoke out her packet and sparked up again. Only ten more minutes now.

Finally the door clicked open, she heard a body shuffle into the hallway. Jex heard bags drop to the floor and heavy footsteps make towards the kitchen.
“What the fuck?! Who are you?” Victoria stepped into view. Jex smiled to herself, Victoria had turned in to the mediocre Mom everyone pitied. Only 21 but she already had deep wrinkles. Her blonde hair was dry as a bone and her stomach gave hints of previous pregnancies all too unflatteringly.

“Victoria!” Jex gasped in fake shock. “How good to see you! Wow, haven’t you turned out quite the charmer,” she sneered. Jex secretly thrived off the terrified look in Victoria’s eyes.

”Now, Vicky, don’t you remember me, little old Jessica, from Middle School?” Jex gasped sarcastically. Victoria’s brown eyes softened, but only a little.

“Why are you here? How did you get in?” she questioned warily.

“I’m here for a chat, to catch up silly,” she laughed, fingering the stiletto blade in her purse. “I got in through the back door. You should really have that seen too, any old… murderer could walk in.” Jex took another drag on her cigarette, blowing the smoke in Victoria’s direction.

“I don’t really feel comfortable-“ Victoria began.

“Don’t be silly, I’ll have made that whole journey for nothing.”

“I- I.”

”Victoria, you look so good, did I tell you that already? Silly me,” Jex said falsely.

“You, you look… nice,” Victoria mumbled. Jex smiled appreciatively, she already knew that. She wasn’t silly little Jessica anymore. She had grown up. Her naturally black hair was cut in to short choppy layers. Her fringe swept across her large forehead, hiding it. Her face had become far more sculpted, razor sharp cheekbones cast attractive shadows down her face. Her plump lips were ruby red and her ears were gauged to a sexy 0. Her boned underwear, only accentuated her to-die-for body. Her long legs were the object of men’s dreams. They died to have her sharp stilettos discarded in their threshold. Have her toned body quivering in their laps.

“Thanks, darling,” she said, running a gloved hand down her stomach, taking her final drag. “So, what are you these days?”

”I, I what?”

”Job, you idiot, what do you do to pay the bills? I’m just making conversation.”

”I work in an office. Y- You?”

”Come on, do you need to ask?” Jex let a laugh leave her lips.

“Hooker?” Victoria said in a voice that was either laced with repulsion, or pure jealousy.

”Slash stripper, slash dancer,” she shrugged with a smile, “it pays the bills.”

“Look, I’m really not happy with you in my house…”

”Shut up Vicky,” Jex snapped, “come on, let’s go talk in the sitting room.” She snatched the vodka of the worktop before slipping by Victoria, into the hall.

“Don’t bother trying to phone the police, sweetheart,” she grinned, kneeling before the stairs and rooting through Victoria’s purse, “it’s not working, you should really get that seen to too.” Jex’s hand clasped round the small cell phone, pulling it out of the bag and crunching the gadget beneath those stiletto heels.

Let the fun begin.