Sorry for Your Loss

Chapter 1 of 1

The whistle blew and I don’t think I’ve ever been happier. My team, The Ryerson University Rams, had just finished our hockey practice for the day. It had run later than I thought it would. Normally I wasn’t too concerned about late practices, but I needed to get back to my dorm to watch a hockey game.
“Mallory! What are you doing tonight?” My teammate, Darby asked from across the room.
“I’m heading back to my room to eat Chinese takeout and watch TJ’s game. Thankfully I have all my homework done so I can totally focus on the game.” I smiled.
“Typical! Have you talked to lover boy lately?” She asked, peeling off her chest pads and hanging them on the hooks behind her head.
“I was talking to him earlier today. He said he thinks he has some kind of stomach flu, but he’s gonna play tonight anyway.” I replied, pulling TJ’s Fighting Sioux track pants over my underarmor for the walk back to residence.
I packed up my bag, hoisted it over my shoulder, grabbed my sticks and headed out into the bitter Toronto night with Darby trailing behind me. After stopping to grab the Chinese, I helped her drag her goalie pads through the snow and to the front of our dorm.
“Ok, I’m gonna go grab a shower. If Teej calls, tell him I’ll call him during one of the intermissions.” I said, grabbing my towel and shower supplies before heading to the bathroom.
After a quick shower, I walked back to my room to find a note pasted to my tv.
‘Mallow, I went to take a shower; didn’t want to make your room smellier than it already is. TJ called and I told him that you were wet. He just about died! Anyway, I’ll be back once I’m done. xoxo Darb’
I giggled and shook my head. Getting dressed in a separate pair of TJ’s old tracksuits, I got in bed and started to watch the game.
I kept my eyes glued to the number 74 for the entire game. He didn’t seem sick at all. TJ had played his usual minutes of ice time and was playing like his usual self. After sending him a quick text, I headed out to brush my teeth before bed. Noticing that I didn’t get a reply, I shook it off and got into bed.
I was startled awake by my phone vibrating on the table beside me. Picking it up, I noticed that it was TJ calling me at three in the morning.
“Teej, why are you calling me at seven in the morning? I thought we agreed no calls before 11 on Saturdays,” I yawned into the phone.
“Umm Mallory? This is Ray Barile. I’m the head trainer with the Blues.”
“Oh, hi Ray. Why are you using TJ’s phone?” I asked, sitting up and tousling my hair.
“TJ wanted me to call and let you know that he’s having emergency surgery right now.”
My stomach dropped. “Emergency surgery? But why?”
“He has appendicitis and needs to have it out. He’s going to be in the hospital for a few days so if you wanted to come down he’ll be at Barnes Jewish Hospital.”
“Ok, thank you so much, Ray. Hopefully I’ll be there soon.” I said, hanging up the phone and jumping out of bed. I hauled on some clothes and packed a small suitcase. I knew that I had tonnes of clothes at TJ’s.
I made sure I looked halfway decent before I unplugged everything in my room and headed out to the subway. I had no cash on me so I had to take the train to the airport. Sure it took longer, but there were no flights out of Toronto direct to St. Louis until about 4 in the afternoon anyway.
I got to the airport and checked in. After grabbing a bit to eat and calling Darby, I hopped on the plane and headed to St. Louis.
I took some cash out at the ATM and hired a cab to take me to the hospital. Once there, I headed inside where I was met by Ray at the door.
“Hi Mallory, it’s great to finally meet you.”
“You too Ray. How’s TJ doing?”
“He’s doing rather well. The surgery went great. He’s resting now. I think he’s still asleep, so if you want to pick something up at the gift shop I can take your suitcase up to his room and hide it in the closet,” Ray smiled.
“Sure, that would be great. What room is he in?”
“6348. I’ll head up there now and hide your stuff. Take your time. He’s pretty out of it from all of the medication so he’ll probably be asleep for a while. I’ll text you if he’s awake.”
I smiled at Ray and handed him my suitcase. Turning left, I headed into the massive gift shop. As I walked through the aisles, I kept racking my brain as to what I could get him. Then it hit me; balloons and a card.
As I made my way over to the wall full of balloons, I knew what I was going to get. I picked out a giant “Get Well Soon” balloon that had Oscar the Grouch on it, and then I giggled when I picked out some “It’s a Boy!” balloons. I picked out a simple card that said “Sorry for your loss” and headed to the counter to get the balloons blown up and to pay for everything.
Once everything was paid for, I sat down at a table and wrote a little message in the card for TJ. As I was attempting to draw a stickman with a scar on his belly, my phone chimed and the message said that TJ was awake.
I got into the elevator and headed up to the 6th floor. Once I got there, his room wasn’t that hard to find. I gathered myself and knocked lightly on his door.
“Come in,” I heard TJ call from inside the room.
I turned the knob and pushed the door open. “Hey Sweetie, how are you feeling?”
“Mallory? What are you doing here?” He smiled, pushing himself up higher on the bed.
“Well, Ray called me and then I got on the first flight I could. How are you doing?” I asked again, walking over to the bed and placing the card on the table.
“I’ve been better. It doesn’t hurt if that’s what you’re trying to get me to admit,” he smiled, winking at me.
“Well, yeah. Oh, I got you balloons and a card.” I giggled, showing him all the different balloons and handing him the card that I put on the table.
TJ picked it up and took it out of the envelope. His face immediately wore a smile and he started to laugh.
“Oww, I wish laughing didn’t hurt. ‘Sorry for your loss’? Mal, this is hilarious.”
“Well, I suppose I can feel sorry for you because I still have my appendix and you don’t. Oh, and you can’t have it either, sucker!” I laughed, reaching for TJ’s hand and holding it in mine.
“You really didn’t have to come down, you know. I’m fine,” TJ said, giving my hand a light squeeze.
“I know I didn’t have to, but I wanted to. And besides, you think I was actually going to trust Bergy with your care for the week or so that you’re out?”
“But what about school, and all the money you spent to get down here? I’ll have to pay you back or something.”
“TJ, listen to me. I’m not too concerned about school. I have to write a paper which I can do here. My coach is ok with me being here so I don’t have to worry about practice; as long as you sign a jersey for him. And for the money, you’ll have to pay yourself back cause I used your credit card,” I blushed.
He smiled. “Well, in that case, I’m glad you’re here. I’ve missed you baby.”
I leaned in and pressed my lips to his. “I’ve missed you too, Teej.”
We sat and chatted for a little bit until I noticed his eyes begin to droop.
“Are you sleepy?” I asked, running my fingers lightly through his hair.
“A little, but I think it’s the meds that are making me sleepy.” TJ admitted.
“Why don’t you lie back and go to sleep. I’m not going anywhere so I’ll be here when you wake up.”
He groaned, “But I’ve been sleeping all day.”
“I know, but you need to sleep in order for the pain meds to leave your system. Now, come on, lie back and rest.”
“Can we cuddle? You look like you could use a nap too,” He smiled, scooting over a bit in bed.
“Now that you mention it, I am tired.” I said, taking my shoes off and crawling into bed next to TJ.
He wrapped his left arm around my shoulders and I dragged my fingers lightly through his hair.
“I love you, Mallory.” He smiled as his eyes fell shut.
“I love you too, TJ,” I said, leaning up to kiss his cheek before falling asleep myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cover title goes to It's_Alice! Hope you all like it and comment!! :)