Sequel: Light in the Storm
Status: Finished. Sequel: Light in the Storm

Eyes of Light

Ten; Destined

Eve led me in slowly, my hands warming and glowing again when I stood beside Nick, his muscular arms still crossed over his chest. His deep eyes were narrowed at Sheba and a scowl took over his smooth features. He let out a grumble.

“Don’t growl at me, dog,” she hissed, Nick opening his mouth to shoot fire right back. I smacked his arm with the hand that didn’t hurt, and I felt my arm tingle again. He shot me a look but sighed and turned his harsh gaze to Coimbra; I guess I couldn’t argue with that.

“Sheba, please. We owe Nicholas,” Eve sighed, smiling brightly at me. I returned it with a shy one, wincing from the cut on my forehead. “Oh dear. What happened to you?”

“The mutt probably did it,” Sheba muttered, Nick’s eyes narrowing.

“Well, if I didn’t push her out of the way, then your dirty magic would’ve killed her!” he pointed out, sighing deeply when Eve put up her hand.

“If you don’t silence him, I will,” Sheba hissed, stepping forward. There was a sudden coolness in the air as she lifted her hand, as if she were getting her magic ready. Nick flinched, his eyes cold.

“Go ahead. It’s your kind that ruined my family, you hag-” Sheba stepped forward, anger in her eyes.

“Nick,” I hissed, stepping in front of him reflexively when Sheba pushed her hand forward. I didn’t know why, it wasn’t as if I could protect him… but I did it anyway, a surge of gold shooting through me, my body jerking forward when I set my hand out to halt her. Sheba yelped and dropped her hand, stepping back quickly. I looked forward in shock, Eve’s eyes wide.

“What… what did I do?” I breathed out, biting my lip.

“You shocked her,” Eve said with surprise.

“Huh,” Nick snorted, amusement in his tone.

“Watch it Nick, she isn’t used to your kind,” Eve warned, looking back at Sheba.

“I’m… sorry, really-”

“Don’t worry about it child,” she sighed, clearing her throat.

“And… you said you didn’t know about your powers before?” Eve questioned, stepping forward. She reached her hand out cautiously and I blushed, shaking my head, letting her pull me away from Nick. “I’m not surprised that your magic is already powerful.”

“But I just shocked her, that’s it.”

“A shock, my dear, freezes powers for at least five minutes, unless the witch you try to freeze is in complete concentration, then it only stuns them. What were you thinking, when you stepped in front of Nick?”

I bit my lip and glanced over at his blank figure out of the corner of my eye. “That… I didn’t want him to get hurt; that I wanted to stop her from doing anything,” I whispered, waiting for Nick to pipe in with a ‘I can take care of myself,’ but he didn’t. He just sighed and slouched his shoulders, leaning himself against the wall of the entry way. I flicked my eyes back to Eve, her smile apparent.

“You work off thoughts, just like your mother,” she smiled sadly, reaching her hand out to touch the orb around my neck. She was wearing a similar one, the shape more rounded though, and hers was a solid red. “That brings me to your wolf friend and your glowing.”

“So… they’re connected? Nick and my glowing?”

“Well, of course,” Sheba said dryly, unhappy about… everything, it seemed.

“Sheba, could you go fetch the book?” Eve asked with a smile, her eyes settling on the older woman.

“The book?” Nick and I said in unison, our eyes meeting for a second. I looked away quickly, turning around to watch Sheba move.

“Oh, and meet us in the sitting room, please,” she continued. “Coimbra, why don’t you go contact your brother? After all, you almost attacked our guests.”

“Of course, my dear,” he smiled, nodding to us before backing away, disappearing in a whoosh. I stared on in shock, Eve’s voice bringing me back. “Follow me, please.”

She pushed up her sleeves and gracefully waltzed out of the room, pushing herself through a large burgundy color curtain, revealing the next room. I glanced over at Nick’s unmoving body and sighed stepping forward. It wasn’t long before I heard his footsteps following, both of us entering a large, dark blue room. My heart lurched as I looked around, paintings of landscapes hanging all around. There was even one of a wolf, similar to the ones at my house.

I glanced around, the hardwood floor dark, shimmering slightly under the golden light hanging above. A large leather couch sat by the wall with a few matching chairs splayed around and a big table with a thick book sitting right on top; It looked as if it were heavy enough to break the table. There was a picture frame on the nearby table, my mother’s smiling face occupying it.

I took a breath and looked away, following as Eve sat on the couch, picking up a tea cup. This was also similar to my set, except the orbs painted on were red; specifically for Eve, I guessed.

“Both of you may sit, if you’d like. We’ll be here for some time.”

“There can’t be that much to go over. At least not that much that we, well I, don’t already know,” Nick sighed, stepping farther into the room, standing in front of the table.

“True, but what I’ll be telling you might bring you shock… Nick. And Lonnie here has a right to know of her life, so, still, there is a lot of ground to cover,” she answered softly, sipping at the cup which most likely held tea. He scratched his head and nodded weakly, slowly striding over to sit in one of the chairs. I followed by taking a seat next to Eve reluctantly.

“I’m in danger, aren’t I?” I questioned slowly, cracking my knuckles.

“We all are.”

Sheba soon entered, a book with a large heart on the front in her hands. I furrowed my eyebrows, my eyes trailing over the title as she handed it over to Eve: The Facts of Witch.

“Where to start…” Eve muttered, opening the book slowly. She tapped her fingers against her cheek and sighed, flipping a few pages forward.

“We could go by this book, or I can summarize it for you,” she said after a few moments of silence, the air awkward.

“She’s not good with books,” Nick muttered, his eyes focused on the ceiling. I smiled slightly and nodded, Eve chuckled.

“Alright then. Let’s see… Sheba, where do we begin?”

I turned my head to face Sheba’s hard gaze. Her eyes softened a bit as she drew closer, clasping her hands together.

“Well, you could always start with what exactly glowing is…”

“Perfect,” I smiled quickly, knowing that had been one of my eager questions.

“Alright,” Eve sighed, setting the book on her lap, her hands on top. I faced her with my full interest, biting the inside of my cheek.

“You’d think a witch would glow when she’s using her powers, but that isn’t the case. A witches power could either be strong, medium, or weak. Medium only comes with a great deal of practice, which is where Sheba and I stand, but when you have strong power… you’re always a descendant of the great witch. Weak power is what normal witches have; but you, Lonnie my dear, are not a normal witch. You have powers beyond any other descendant from your family. Your mother sent her powers to you before she sacrificed herself for our world and we are very thankful, all of the witches, for our beloved Rosalind… and now you.”

They seemed to speak of my mother as if she were some type of goddess… maybe that’s the way they saw her, their leader.

“Your powers are still developing though, and with proper training, they’ll be out and ready in no time,” she continued quickly, knowing she was supposed to be on the subject of glowing, but I stopped her.

“Ready for what… exactly?” I breathed.

“Defeating the black magic. It’s not a physical task, although you need to be prepared for more than what seemed to happen to you today. It’s a battle of strength of magic and belief. If you have a reason, then you could do it. Your mother was able to give you her powers and sacrifice herself because she believed fully in you. If you can find something that has to be protected in this world to motivate you to the fullest, that’ll be step one to defeating the black magic… maybe once and for all. But we’ll talk about that some other time. I think this is more of a pressing matter…” she trailed off, glancing over at Nick. He eyed her skeptically and sat up straight, pushing his curls away from his forehead, only to have them fall back down.

“Why do I glow?” I nodded, trying to concentrate on what she was about to say.

“A glow isn’t necessarily caused by happiness, as I said earlier. That was just a jab at Sheba,” she chuckled lightly; Sheba, however, was less than amused. She cleared her throat and continued. “You see, a glow has nothing to do with power, really. If all humans were witches, they’d all glow at some point…”

“And what’s that point?” I asked slowly, Nick shifting in his seat, ready to listen. Eve took a good look at him and then at me, cocking her head.

“A glow to a witch is a way of showing attraction. You glow around a certain person, whether it be a vampire, a human, or even the forbidden: the wolf.” I froze, my eyes widening in shock. What was she saying? That I was attracted to Nick? “Every witch is always at least a year younger than the person she’s attracted to, making the soul mate a little more special with sort of a… color code.”

“Soul mate?” Nick coughed, his eyes wide. I felt my face flush, Eve’s head turning to face him.

“A soul mate is when two people are meant to be together-”

“I know what it means!” he hissed, his cheeks burning red. “But-”

“And-” she interrupted, “there is no way around it. Not one.”

“I don’t get it,” I whispered, tearing my gaze away from a shocked Nick.

“You and Nicholas are soul mates.”

I felt my heart lurch forward, my eyes settling on Nick’s pale face. How could this be? He practically detested me, and now Eve was saying that we were… soul mates?

“Nicholas is also known as the golden child of the great wolf, his eyes brighter than the stars. The great wolf doesn’t hold the same power as you, Nick,” she pointed out, his face still blank. “Just as Lonnie is more powerful then her mother, the great witch. With Nick being the golden wolf and Lonnie having this great power, it only makes sense.”

“No, it doesn’t make sense,” Nick muttered, tightening his hands into fists. “How would you even know anything about soul mates, witch?”

“Listen here dog; you will call to us correctly,” Sheba hissed, Eve’s eyes still bright. Nick narrowed his eyes, catching my gaze for a moment before shifting it back to Eve.

“We as creatures have mapped out futures, our world holding a new meaning. We can’t back out on each other, all of us equally united. It’s for peace and love.”

“That’s… amazing,” I breathed, blinking in surprise. “It’s like no wars between each other, only the noticeably evil.”

“Very good Lonnie,” Eve smiled genuinely, but Nick didn’t look amused. “It’s fate, between you two. Your lives are mapped out together.”

“But… but she’s just a child!” Nick called out, my mouth dropping open.

“I am not!” I didn’t know how many more times I could say that without getting too annoyed. Nick ignored me, his wide velvety eyes on Eve.

“How old are you? And Lonnie?” she asked, looking between us.

“Seventeen,” he answered gruffly, his face like stone. I stared at him for a moment, blushing when my hands began to glow.

“Fifteen,” I answered weakly, his eyes trailing over me again.

“Two years is not much of an age gap. Coimbra and I are two years apart. Besides, Lonnie seems like a mature young woman.”

I smiled lightly but quickly turned it into a frown when Nick grumbled, sitting back into the chair, but I could still see the shock in his eyes from the news we had just received.

“Wolves and witches are forbidden though, aren’t they? How can a creature that’s forbidden to witches be my… soul mate?” I questioned, confused by everything.

“Do you know why wolves are forbidden from witches?” Sheba uttered lowly. I could see Nick’s head turn towards her, ready to listen to a piece of information that involved him. I shook my head, just as eager. “A wolf’s calling howl can only be heard by witches, but the mutts often use it to hurt our ears.” I glanced over at Nick with furrowed eyebrows, a smug smile covering his lips. “It’s one of their defenses against us. Humans and vampires do not have a defense to our power, but those dogs seem to be made to fend off anything.”

“Wait… you said it hurts them? I could hear Nick’s howl, in the forest, and it didn’t hurt me. I felt… drawn to it, I guess, and tired.”

“How fascinating!” Eve squealed smiling eagerly. “Is there anything else? There has never been a destined pairing of a wolf and a witch.”

“What do you mean? What else could there be?” I breathed, scratching my head. This was all getting to be too much. A wolf, I could take; witches, me being one, that could be alright; but all this information about powers and howls, soul mates and duties… I didn’t think I could get through this.

“When a witch is paired with a human, they can manipulate their partner; Not in any harmful way, unless that is what they wish, but getting rid of your partner is a violation of all things supernatural, and it is the great witches disciples’ duty to make sure that doesn’t happen. And when a witch is paired with a vampire, it might also be the same. Is there anything unusual? I’m almost positive he won’t do whatever you say,” she chuckled, Nick’s lips twitching up into a side smirk.

I bit my lip and looked at him, his deep and narrowed eyes locking with mine once again. I thought about it for a moment and wondered why I could hear his thoughts as a wolf, and knew this was the best time to bring it up.

“I can hear what he’s thinking, but only when he’s a wolf,” I finally spoke, Eve’s eyes widening. She looked over at Nick for confirmation, his head tilting forward in a short and irritated nod.

“Oh… could you give us a demonstration?” Eve’s face was full of interest, Sheba’s rather disgusted, and I sighed. “Why don’t the four of us go back outside and have Nick phase and Lonnie tell us his thoughts.”

Nick hesitantly stood and followed us out, keeping his distant from Sheba. I tried to ask him what his deal was, but he ignored me and pushed forward, steering clear of all three of us. He wasn’t so cold to Eve, what made Sheba different? He wasn’t even as rude to me, which was shocking… I hoped he’d change that soon, if we were really soul mates; it was hard just thinking about that.

Eve led us outside and down the steps, onto the lush grass. She motioned Nick forward and had Sheba stay close by with me. Nick let out a huge sigh and took a few steps forward, distancing himself from us. He shut his eyes tight and stood still for a second before he started shaking lightly, mirroring his earlier phases. Before I knew it, a wolf appeared, it’s paws digging into the dirt as it stared ahead. It’s gold eyes scanned over Eve and Sheba, seeming to narrow on her before they settled on me. I looked down quickly, my skin beginning to glow brightly, but I glanced up just in time to see Nick’s gold eyes burst with light, the chocolate ring widening yet again.

Eve seemed to gasp with wonder, her hand clutching my tingling shoulder tightly in awe. She urged me forward, my skin glowing a little brighter with every step. Nick stood as tall as he could on all fours, looking alert, his eyes connected to Sheba. I bit my lip and took another step forward, wanting to reach my hand out and touch the soft fur. I couldn’t stop my sudden impulse, my hand setting on his back. I expected him to jerk away or snarl, but he didn’t; he kept still and eased down, his ears sticking up.

“Think something Nick, please,” Eve instructed, and I heard that smooth and slightly irritated voice in my head again.

“This is moronic,” it scowled, the wolf’s face blank. I felt like laughing, but I turned to Eve instead, gently running my hand over the fur; I swore I heard him whimper, but I couldn’t tell.

“Well? What did the mutt say?” Sheba cleared her throat, crossing her arms.

“He said that ‘this is moronic,’” I repeated, looking down at Nick. He cocked his head and sniffed, Nick’s voice filling my ears with a mumble.

“More like she is.”

“Or… more like you,” I muttered, looking up nervously. Eve clapped and giggled, nodding.

“Yes, he would definitely be thinking that.” Sheba was, once again, not amused; angry even.

“That’s it you beast,” she hissed, pulling her hand forward. A saw a string of green shoot out quickly, the wolf falling backwards with a yelp. I slapped my hand over my mouth and stared at him in shock, my heart pounding with a sudden fear. He didn’t move.

“What… what did you do?” I yelled, my voice echoing. Sheba blinked, her eyes settling on my now angry figure. When she didn’t answer, I took a shaky breath and stepped forward, straining to hear his muffled voice, or thoughts, again.

“Why do you care so much?” it muttered weakly, it’s head soon jerking up. He went to lunge forward but skidded to a stop, snarling lowly.

“Nick-” I started, but was quickly interrupted by a deafening howl. I cringed at first, Eve and Sheba clutching their ears. Sheba looked as if she were about to burst, Eve wearing an uncomfortable face. I felt tingly suddenly, like my knees were about to give and I was ready to sleep. My eyelids became droopy and I sighed heavily, rubbing my neck.

Nick stopped howling and sat straight up, the wolf soon disappearing, his body coming back into view. I noticed that his shirt was now ripped, his eyes settling on the fabric that was revealing his tone chest.

“I just changed,” he growled, quickly pulling it over his head, pushing back his curls. I looked away quickly, focusing on the two witches who were breathing heavily.

“Why don’t you change again? You’re putrid,” Sheba hissed, Nick’s eyes narrowing.

“Listen here, witch; I don’t need to take this from you. What happened to your dear Mortimer, need I remind you?” he smirked, a grunt falling from her lips.

“Please Lonnie, call him off,” Eve pleaded. I stared at her in shock, Nick’s eyes trailing over me, the glow flickering out. I blinked in shock, wondering why it had lasted that long.

“She can’t tell me what to do, and neither can you. You either help us and tell us what we need to know, or I’m leaving her here with you and you can deal with your black magic and let it destroy every one of us.”

Eve opened her mouth, Sheba cutting in.

“We don’t need you, mangy.”

“Enough!” Eve shouted, her voice booming through the fields. I jumped, staring at her in shock, while Sheba and Nick looked on without a word. “Sheba, Lonnie needs him in the battle. She needs her partner to protect her and he’s a wolf, the only other creature that can distract the black magic long enough for her to act. All of us need to work together so that we can continue living… in peace!” she shouted the last part, her eyes raking over Nick who seemed about ready to burst, or phase again. “Now please, calm him down.” She looked at me with pleading eyes and I looked to Nick, his body still unmoving, except for his heaving chest.

I felt my cheeks begin to burn as I took a shaky step forward, setting my fingertips on his shoulder, concentrating on my thoughts: I just needed him to calm down. It was amazing; my skin was even brighter as I touched him, his body relaxing as if I was actually calming him… as if I were actually using a form of magic.

“Very good,” Eve sighed, smiling proudly. “Magic takes concentration.”

Nick looked at me, his eyes searching mine for a second before he slipped away from my touch and held the torn shirt in his hand, my eyes still running over his muscles. Was I seriously attracted to him?

What a stupid question.

But how would being soul mates help anything? Wouldn’t it just make it worse? He already seemed even more resentful. Everything was going to take time… time that I didn’t know I had.

“Now, I think I should explain this a little more so you two get it,” Eve started after she calmed Sheba. “You two will be working together when it comes time to defeat the black magic, and afterward, you’ll still be together. Even if you try to run for some reason, you’ll be drawn back, just as all soul mates are.

“The book of witch facts has many things you’ll both need to learn; Lonnie for yourself, and Nick… you’ll need to know it for her, to help and guide her since you think age is such an important factor; not only will you be her soul mate, but you’ll be a teacher in some ways. You’ll also learn what you have to do, so I suggest you contact your father sometime.

“When the black magic first surfaces, and I’m guessing that’s it’s started it’s hunt today, then you don’t have much time to prepare. You’ll have to live your lives normally, but now that the information is out, you’ll have to stick together at all times. Nick, you are a wolf, a natural protector. I know it isn’t easy, being around your forbidden creature, but if Lonnie can do it, which she has without any complaints of you so far, than you can stand to protect her as you are told; not only for your duty, but for love,” Eve breathed, a shaky gasp falling from my parted lips.

Nick stood still, his eyes wide, his jaw tightening at the word love. I gulped and looked down to the grass, claw marks now visible.

“Sheba will teach you the black magic, it’s working and it’s power, and I will help you bring out your powers while you and Nick form a tighter bond; you’ll need it for this battle and to follow the rules.”

“What rules?” Nick muttered, looking up slowly. His curls blew through the gentle breeze, his lips pouted and his cheeks slightly red. I glanced back to Eve who inhaled deeply, smiling slightly.

“I suppose wolves don’t have what you would call rules…”

“They’re orders; whatever is said by the great wolf, my father, is obeyed, but we live how we want, and I expected to love who I wanted freely, but I suppose witches get to overrule that too?” he said, his voice clear and emotionless.

“Don’t think of it that way… these rules apply to every creature associated with a witch and, as of now, you will be very much associated with Lonnie. You will become the great wolf and she the great witch, and you two are destined to be together… forever.”

When would these words sink in? My head was too dizzy and my mind was drawing a blank. This wasn’t going to be easy, my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this, actually, so I really hope you do too. It's over 4000 words, so that should make for no earlier updates. I have this whole school drama thing, trying to change schools, so I might not be able to update too much until it's settled. I really wanted to update H&N, but I can't tonight. I'll hopefully start it and have it out tomorrow.(:

So... I'm surprised by how many of you guessed this. It shows that you really are getting into it and paying attention to details that even i forget! I love your comments, they make me smile.
What do you think? it might be kind of cheesy... but it's the whole thing; they're stuck with each other which makes everything harder. haha.

Questions? I might be able to answer most by now.
Comment, please. I want to know if you like it.(:

(sorry for any mistakes. I'm going to go through and correct it soon, but I have to post while my internet is working.)