Sequel: Light in the Storm
Status: Finished. Sequel: Light in the Storm

Eyes of Light

Eleven; Normal No More

My eyes focused on Nick’s blank features as he stood in the cooling air with no shirt, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. Sheba had gone inside, having enough of Nick, and I could see his relief when she did. That left Eve, Nick and I all standing on the grass, Eve’s eyes filled with curiosity.

“I don’t think you can go home. You can’t risk having a human around the black magic, especially now that it knows where you are,” Eve finally spoke, breaking the thin silence. I bit my lip and looked over at her with worried eyes, hugging myself.

“I have to go home. My dad could call the police, he worries so much. And I need my stuff, my clothes…” I trailed off, shaking my head.

“I’m sorry Lonnie, but we do have a guest room and you and Nick will have to use it. You’ll need to go to school like normal and you can call your father, but you need to stay clear of everyone. It’s just you and Nick now when you’re at school, and if you have to go anywhere else-”

“It’s… me and Nick,” I sighed, nodding slowly. Did this mean I couldn’t talk to Anna? And Josh… was he still waiting for me? Nothing will be normal for a while, and as far as I was concerned, nothing would ever be normal again.

“You’re saying we have to share a room?” Nick finally spoke, shock and hardness in his voice. “Did you not get the fact that there is a two year age difference and that I really don’t want to be left alone with you… for nights at a time?”

I sighed and looked down at my feet, feeling an automatic blow to my chest. I guess it made sense why that hurt; he was my soul mate and he didn’t even want me. I shouldn’t want him, either.

Impossible.

“Age has nothing in the matter; you two are soul mates. I don’t know how else I can explain that to you. When you get married, you’ll have to share a bed obviously, and children-”

“Wait just a second witch,” Nick hissed, his eyes wide. “Married? Who the hell said anything about marriage… and kids? You may get your facts of life from some old hags book, but that does not apply to me or any of my kind, so don’t you tell me who I am going to marry or have children with.”

“Nick, you may not seem to get this, but your father also has a soul mate… your mother,” Eve said lightly, her eyes trailing over me to make sure I was alright; his words hurt, but I knew that’s the way he was. Who said he was exactly what I wanted anyway? Sure, he was beautiful, but it couldn’t kill him to be a tad nicer.

Nick’s eyes narrowed at her and he took a deep breath, ready to speak. Eve silenced him with one finger, closing her eyes to continue.

“It’s true, your mother is human and soul mates do not just apply to witches. It is, however, most common with our kind… being supernatural humans. But the great wolfs’ blood-line has a string of soul mates; the world knows who comes next and who will be their future soul mate. Even if Lonnie was not the child of the late great witch, she would still be your soul mate because you are required to have one. Lonnie would be yours, even in human form, and that’s just something you’ll need to get used to.”

Was that right? I was supposed be with Nick no matter what?

“Now, please, don’t say anymore; you might upset your soul mate,” she finally smirked, clapping like a child. Nick scowled and crossed his arms, flickering his gaze down to his feet. I met Eve’s eyes and touched my necklace, my fingertips sending warmth to the gold orb.

“Do I glow… just when Nick’s around in either wolf or human form?” I questioned softly, the trees rustling from the gentle breeze. If the black magic came, I think we’d have a good indication by how fast the wind was, and that was probably just one of a few signs that I needed to learn.

Eve’s eyes lit up again at just the mention of it. “Glowing is quite complicated, actually, but it’s very useful; you found your soul mate because of it. You’ll always glow when he’s around, in either form, but only other creatures can see it. Human eyes are not prone to a witches glowing. I noticed that Nick’s eyes seem to glow when you get closer, they even seemed to sparkle when you touched him. It’s something that happens absentmindedly.

“A vampire, a witch, and a wolf, along with other creatures, can all see who glows the same colors, knowing that they are together. If they do something to cross the other, you can expect to be hit back by both, seeing the connection so strong.

“I have never seen a connection as strong as yours, though, Nick and Lonnie. Gold is the ultimate power glow and I think this is a once in a blue moon opportunity. You both are heir to the titles from your blood-line and you were both picked to stay together, knowing that you will fall in love-” she eyed Nick seriously as she said this, then turned to me with a smile before continuing. “It may not be now or next week, but something will bring you two together, and you’ll be almost inseparable when that time comes.

“Now, I suggest you two go inside and get something settled. Lonnie, I have some clothes that you may wear for school and I assume you brought your own, Nick?” He nodded slowly and stepped forward, clutching the torn shirt in his hand. “If you do need something though, Coimbra would allow you something of his; although you may not want it, it is available,” she smiled kindly, motioning me forward.

I let out a sigh, my eyes trailing over Nick as he lingered by the door for a moment, eying something with distaste. As Eve led me up the steps, I noticed Sheba standing by the curtain, her arms crossed and her eyes focused on Nick almost deadly.

“Sheba, please; leave the poor boy alone and he won’t bother you,” Eve chuckled, motioning Nick to go forward. He snorted and entered, brushing past her with a small growl. For a split second, I saw her eyes glaze over with what looked like fear before she stepped through the side door by the fireplace, disappearing into what had to be a small room.

“He sure is feisty,” Eve giggled pushing past the curtain, Nick following behind me. “That may come in handy though…”

“Why? For battle or something?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows, I took a glance back at him, his chocolate eyes meeting mine with almost no emotion. I felt my face heat up from a feeling besides my glowing, and my eyes trailed back down to the floor, sweeping over his muscles before I turned around.

“Uhh…. Sure,” Eve giggled again, sending me a wink. I blinked in surprise and bit my lip, knowing I was blushing even more.

She led us down a long hallway, the dark walls holding many more paintings that looked similar to my mother's. The floor was covered in a long but skinny tan rug, doors appearing as we turned. Four doors came into view and she led us to the last one, quickly tugging on the knob and pushing it open.

A dim light flooded the room through a foggy window, drapes that looked wool covering the sides. It was neat. A dresser sat in the corner next to a small door, a closet, and a nightstand with a small vintage looking lamp sat on the left side of the large bed. A quilt was draped over the mattress, the light colors seeming to contrast from the dark charcoal looking walls, but the room had an unusual welcome feeling to it.

Turning around, I saw that Nick had carried his backpack with him down the hall, plopping it down on the floor by the dresser. He quickly unzipped it and pulled out a black t-shirt, pulling it over his mess of curls and onto his muscular body, the form fitting snuggly. I let out a short sigh and turned to Eve, rubbing my arm.

“I’ll gather some clothes for you. Feel free to look around our home. If you’d like to start our teachings tomorrow, than that would be best, witches tend to be more productive with rest…” she trailed off, her eyes locking on Nick as he leaned against the dresser, a book in his hand. “And I hear wolves aren’t as irritable.”

He sighed and chose to ignore her comment, opening the book and flipping through the pages quickly, giving it all his attention. Eve hurried out the door, my body filling with shock as it shut a few seconds later, no doubt from her magic. I would have to get used to that, and the fact that I could do things that weren’t normal… I just had to learn how.

Standing in the middle of the room, my eyes focused on Nick as he read intently didn’t help anything. I felt like I had to talk, like he had more to tell me. Sighing, I stepped towards the bed and leaned against the foot board, taking a quick glance around before he looked up, no doubt sensing that I had yet another question.

“What are you reading?” I asked first, as if to test the waters. He didn’t seem as irritated as he looked… his posture more relaxed as he answered.

“A book my dad gave me.”

“Is it important?”

“Not really,” he answered reluctantly, his eyes scanning the page once again. I furrowed my eyebrows; why did he look so into it then?

“How is it not important?”

“It’s more useless, I guess,” he sighed, frustration in his voice. His deep eyes lingered on the tattered page for a moment before he shut it carefully, dropping it into his bag.

“Useless?” I knew I was bugging him, but I wasn’t going to let that stop me. I wanted to know about him, now more than before. He shook his head, another irritated look appearing over his features. “Is there something between you and your dad? Like a dispute or something?” I wondered, biting my lip. He didn’t deny it, his eyes meeting mine again before he shrugged, running his fingers through his hair.

“My dad has a lot of responsibilities, being friends with the witches and all,” he sighed, but that was it. I waited for him to continue, but he never did.

“Is that why you don’t like witches? It can’t just be because their forbidden…”

“No,” he shook his head. “My dad loved witches, the great witch was his closest friend. He tried to help her in battle, but she stood her ground and gave him no other choice but to leave. He wasn’t her protector, after all; he had us to protect: my mother, my brothers and I.

“When news got around that the great witch was gone and the child that held all her power was too, things got out of hand. There were fights between, not only the witches, but the creatures. Being the great wolf, he had to work with the leader of the vampire covens and all the other representatives of creatures, trying to figure out what would be best for the witches. They couldn’t simply pass it to someone such as Eve or Sheba, the disciples of your mother; they needed blood, the most powerful witch.

“He… started spending less and less time at home, going off for days… weeks at a time to search for you,” he whispered, keeping his eyes away from me. “I was his only son that could phase and, while he was gone with his pack to search, I had to take over his position, to act as the great wolf when I was really only seven. I had to help my mother and act as if my older brothers were younger when those other creatures came to my home, looking for a fight because my father never returned. They called him a coward and a man that couldn’t leave, but I still looked up to him and few knew he was doing the right thing.

“He only came home a few times a month, but he was gone for years, if you added all the days together. I was almost fourteen when he came back one day, tired, holding no hope. He said that he couldn’t find the next great witch, but that the black magic would return sometime, and everybody would be in danger,” his jaw tightened and he paused to look up at me, his eyes now full of hate. “He left again, but not to find the great witch or to gain his hope back; he left to go into hiding.

“The witches couldn’t stand it anymore, and when I was fifteen, I finally forgave my father, understanding that he could be in danger for failing at his many attempts, but he never spoke to me or any of us. He left my mother devastated and my brothers without anything to go for. I had to take over, to help find my own pack and start searching for the great witch… for you. A few witches formed a group and found my father’s hiding spot, confronting him. He couldn’t even phase to defend himself before they placed a spell on him.”

“What did they do?” I whispered, feeling sick suddenly. He looked so grief stricken and angry, almost sick to his stomach at the story he was telling me. Was it normal to feel the same about my kind? I suddenly felt hatred towards witches… connecting with him on a level.

He laughed without humor and walked forward, managing to still keep his distance. “They turned him into a wolf… permanently.”

“What? How?” I asked quickly, clasping my hands together nervously.

“It’s a spell that stops the human blood from flowing, opening the wolf chambers, which in turn locks the human chambers. The spell leaves him as a wolf and, the more he ages, the sicker he gets. Soon, he won’t be able to change back and he’ll die as an animal.”

“Nick… I’m sorry,” I breathed, knowing how it felt to lose a parent; knowing that your dad was still out there, incapable of being there for you had to be harder than death itself, and I really wanted to help him.

“I don’t need your pity,” he spat, his face almost hurt. He clenched his fists to his sides and swallowed hard. “The spell is forbidden, and so is reversing it. There’s nothing that can be done.”

I stared at him for a moment, letting the words sink in. Nothing could be done? Surely something could happen; Nick could do something, right? I could…

“I could help…” I whispered, biting my lip. Nick narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips, cocking his head. “I could do the reversing spell… if someone taught me. I mean, I don’t think Eve would, but you could… couldn’t you? Find out about it?”

“Lonnie, it’s forbidden. Do you realize how much trouble you could get in for that? If the witches band together like they did with my father… you’ll be done for,” he started seriously, no softness in his eyes. I wondered if he was angry for just suggesting it, or if he thought I were stupid, but either way I didn’t care.

“I want to help though. I… I really do.”

“There’s no way,” he muttered, shaking his head, his curls bouncing. His face didn’t look too set though.

“You could help me, when we aren’t training for this black magic.”

“It’s too much for you to handle-”

“But you don’t know that,” I interrupted, raising my voice. “You don’t know me, Nick, and I don’t know you… yet. I’d like it if you had at least a little confidence in me.”

He stayed silent for a moment, his eyes burning into me, but I saw a flicker of light in them, and I hoped that he believed in me at least a little, to save us from the black magic and to help him

“You’d really do that?” he finally sighed, crossing his arms loosely. I nodded quickly, holding in my breath as his eyes ran over me. “If… you can, I’d be thankful, but it isn’t going to be easy. You may be the new great witch, but you aren’t experienced, and I have no idea what magic can do.”

I let out my breath slowly, almost relieved, and nodded in a short response. “What’s the other forbidden spell?” I questioned suddenly, knowing that things were going to be hard.

“Witches,” he breathed, licking his dry lips almost nervously, “can kill. Just one thought, that’s all it takes…but I believe that you have to be truly evil to have your magic be carried out that way, or have the want to protect something you love.

“That witch in there is nothing but an evil shrew and, if I were you, I’d stay clear of her for as long as I could,” he muttered lowly, his body coming closer. I felt my skin almost ignite, his hand setting on my shoulder gently, to make his point as serious. He looked down at me with his eyes fully open, his lips pouted out almost.

“W-what do you mean?” I stuttered, trying to control my breathing, but I felt my stomach lurch with what felt like nerves, butterflies; my eyes connecting with his for a moment longer before I looked away, waiting for his response.

“Sheba had a human soul mate,” he said smoothly, dropping his hand from my shoulder. “He made her angry and she busted, killing him.”

I stared up at him in pure shock, blinking slowly. I felt a chill run up my spine and I swallowed, opening my mouth to speak. “Why did he make her mad? How did she… kill him?”

“He walked out on her. No one thought about punishing her, since he broke the rule, but she’s a crazy old hag and she doesn’t deserve the power she has; just…” he said through clenched teeth suddenly, his eyes serious. “Don’t let her tell you things and don’t let her try to talk you out of this battle, okay?”

I sighed deeply, unable to look away from him, jumping slightly when he raised his voice.

“You need to answer me. You’ll stay clear of her if you want me to teach you whatever I know, alright?”

"Yes", I nodded weakly, feeling as if he had more suspicions, or knew something that he didn’t want to tell me.

[&&lights]

The night was awkward, Nick choosing to sleep on the floor. I didn’t blame him, I guess. I didn’t blame him; we didn’t exactly know each other, even if we were soul mates. Maybe I should stop thinking about that because it didn’t seem to mean anything but a duty to Nick.

But I ended up having a dream.

It was as if my eyes were scanning the forest overhead swiftly, blurry trees passing my mind. I could hear a loud howl echoing through, almost earsplitting, but I felt that familiar calming wash over me. It was odd, my eyes sluggishly landing on a certain spot in the forest, zeroing in as if I were zooming on a screen.

I found myself standing there, almost frozen, the wind whipping around horrendously. A black cloud of smoke filled my mind and I couldn’t see anything but an outlined figure. I could feel immediate worry washing through me and I didn’t know why. I felt a surge of heat fall through my body and a golden bolt shot through the air, clearing the black smoke with a small screech. It whipped away, almost hiding in the leaves, and my eyes settled on an unmoving body, a body that looked too familiar.

I felt myself shoot up, my hand resting on my fast heartbeat. I swallowed and tried to breathe, my eyes settling on the blankets on the floor. It rose up and down slowly due to the body underneath: Nick. I inhaled deeply and shut my eyes, the warmth from the sun hitting the side of my face. I could hear rustling outside and I reopened my eyes, slowly sliding out of the large bed. Tip-toeing to the window, I pulled the curtains back, squinting at the sudden sunlight. It was early Sunday morning and my eyes settled on Eve and Sheba standing outside with Coimbra, their mouths moving and their heads nodding.

Eve suddenly turned around, her eyes meeting mine, and she gave me a smile, motioning me forward. I sighed and shut the curtains, gasping when I saw Nick standing with an irritated expression, his fists rubbing his eyes.

I stared at him for a moment with wide eyes, resting on his disheveled curls and his tired face for only a moment before looking over to the clothes Eve had gently set on top of the dresser.

“Eve wants us down there…” I muttered finally, settling on Nick’s chocolate orbs.

“Well Eve,” he grumbled, “can wait. Besides, I didn’t sign up for witch training; I have other stuff to do.”

“I need your help though,” I blurted, taking a step closer. I think I’d get tired of my skin glowing, but, at the moment, the brighter it got made me even more fascinated, and I couldn’t help but feel special for knowing who my soul mate was; I think I kind of always dreamt of that whole idea.

Nick held my gaze, setting his hand on the band of his sweatpants that hugged his hips loosely, cocking his head slightly. I think it was a habit for him, whenever he tried to figure something out. He blinked and licked his lips, shrugging.

“I’ll be there when you need me, but I’m not going to stick around here for long,” he answered shortly, his voice still emotionless, almost, but I still found his words to be different.

Things were definitely not going to be normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, i've sucked at updating and I'm sorry. This isn't that good, but the next one will be better; I hope.

So, your comments really amaze me. The detail you put in, about the characters and your precitions and thoughts, they really help me along and get me to want to update this. I love it and you guys.(:

Next update will be H&N; I've already started and I'm determined for that tomorrow. I'm not going to keep lacking on those updates, Nonroe will always be a first priority until it's finished because you guys made it. I'm just glad you share an interest for this, too.(:

Comments please. I'll get back on track soon.

(Sorry for mistakes, I'm not going to fix it just yet, but i will go through soon.)