Status: Finished

Wanna Live It Up Just Because

Chapter 39

Arpeggio hit her symbols for the last time, signaling the end of Alone. Their set had gone on without any problems. Besides Lestat and Dorian bickering. But the fans seemed to enjoy it. They did laugh and cheer for the two, some yelling "Team Lestat" and some yelling "Team Dorian."

Everyone knew that Dorian and Lestat argued.

"That, my friends, is the end of our set but not the end of the show," Neon said into her microphone.

A series of protest could be heard.

"Hey, we have to get off at some point. After this speaker, we'll be at our tent if any of you want to visit."

Cheers. Of course. Who, out of all those kids who were mouthing and screaming the words, didn't want to meet them?

"I'd like to introduce this very special speaker. Arpeggio would you come on down," Neon asked.

Arpeggio's speech was now. They would be switching equipment after she gave it. She wasn't going to have time to compose herself before talking in front of the crowd. Because they finished the speech that morning, she didn't have it memorized. She would look like fool reading from a sheet of notebook paper.

She stood from her seat and walked off the platform where her drums rested to Neon. As she walked, the fans screamed and cheered, some even yelling her name. Arpeggio handed her older sister her drum sticks, receiving the microphone in return. A deep breath made its way in and out of her lungs.

"You can do it," Neon squeezed her little sister's shoulder.

Arpeggio nodded. Neon turned and left the stage, taking refuge behind the curtain. The rest of the band had already done so and were standing next to the members of All Time Low. Arpeggio saw Alex give Neon a side hug.

If Neon could forgive Alex, Arpeggio could make her own speech.

Arpeggio turned to the crowd, bringing the microphone to her lips.

"Hey, guys. My name is Arpeggio Lowry. I'm Neon's little sister and the drummer for RxN, if you didn't know," her voice was amplified louder than anyone backstage had ever heard it.

She heard more screams. Her heartbeat quickened.

"A few days ago," she continued, "I was asked to do this speech. I'm a drummer, not a writer. So my sister helped me write it."

Arpeggio reached into the back pocket of her jeans and extracted the folded piece of paper, showing it to the crowd.

She could hear Lestat whisper, "What is she doing?"

"I'm not going to use this," she crumpled up the paper, throwing it to the side and looking her sister in the eyes, "I'm going to do something on my own for once."

Arpeggio turned back to the crowd.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to tell you. This isn't like an essay; there were no guidelines. I can tell you not to attempt suicide. I can tell you that you'll hurt a lot of people if you try it. I can tell you life is more valuable than you think. But everyone says that. It wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know a little about me."

Arpeggio pulled the microphone away to take a breath and returned it to its spot in front of her lips.

"I was diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was two. When I was five, I went to my first day of school. I was pulled out of class that day to take insulin shots. When I went to recess, I was made fun off. No one wanted to play with me because the teacher told them I was sick. I didn't know I was any different from the rest of them until I turned seven and went to my first slumber party. I couldn't eat any of the foods the girl's parents bought. But they could and they made fun of me. I called my parents crying, begging them to take me home. I lied and told them I was homesick."

Arpeggio paused and looked at the sky.

"Sorry, mom and dad."

She looked back at the crowd.

"I got my insulin pump when I was eight as a present. It became a constant reminder of something I was ashamed of: my diabetes. Sometimes I wish I could just rip it out," she proceeded to take the pump out of her body, "And live without it."

There were gasps. She needed to change the placement anyway; it wasn't a big deal. She could go a couple of hours without it in. And she would put it back in after the speech.

She tossed the tiny object to the side. It hit the stage with a clatter and broke. She had another one. Neon gave her a disapproving look, which Arpeggio ignored.

"I shouldn't have been ashamed; I shouldn't still be ashamed. But those kids made my life hell all the way through middle school and they still do. I never transferred schools. I didn't tell anyone what was happening."

She let her eyes wander the crowd. They were silent, surprisingly, and were looking up at her with attentive eyes.

"My parents passed away. My grandmother passed away. My older sister's boyfriend passed away. The people that could relate to me left me. Neon has been taking care of me since I was eleven. She's been there, trying to raise me as a productive member of society. For some reason, I couldn't talk to her about the things happening at school. I should have. She could have related to me and helped me out."

Arpeggio took another pause to breathe.

"In eighth grade, things went from bad to worse. A rumor was spread about me; I was called various names and beaten up on a daily basis. I believed everything they said about me. Neon was having trouble making ends meet at the time and I thought I was completely to blame. She couldn't attend all of our band practices because she was working overtime. I figured everyone would be better off without me. I didn't tell anyone how I felt, I tried not to show emotions, and I didn't think about the fact that I had just joined RxN as drummer months prior."

Taking the microphone away from her lips, she swallowed as much saliva as possible. Her throat was throbbing. This was too much but she wasn't done yet. She brought the object back to its place.

"I came home one day after having a marvelous science lesson. I learned the scent of ammonia and bleach mixed together is toxic to humans. So I decided I would end my life by drinking the household cleaners that contain them. It didn't work. But I did get an A on the test because I actually paid attention in Science that day."

Some mouths dropped; some people nodded, already knowing the story. There were tears in some eyes. She didn't see why. Nothing she said was moving.

"Trying to kill myself was the biggest mistake of my life. My body has suffered so much from that one attempt. I hurt my sister and band mates. I lost everyone's trust. I can't take it back nor can I fix what I've done. But you can learn from my mistake."

Were some people crying? She was baffled; no one should be crying.

"You don't have to kill yourself because you're different. You may be clinically ill or have diabetes, your nose could be too big or maybe your eyes are too close together. Whatever your flaw is, it's not worth killing yourself over. You deserve to live and be happy. Own what you have because it makes you an individual."

And now most people were crying.

"I don't have anything else to say. But I do hope that what you've heard, and will hear today, will convince any of you who are on the fence about giving up to stay with the living and get help. Thank you."

Arpeggio returned the microphone to its stand. She could hear the roars of applause the crowd. With a wave, she disappeared backstage. Leaning against the wall, she grabbed hold of her pounding heart.

"That was great," Neon was the first to compliment her.

Arpeggio looked up at the two bands, which had formed a semicircle around her.

"Thanks," Arpeggio whispered, followed by a coughing fit.

Her throat was killing her. Both Jack and Neon immediately patted her back to soothe her coughs. When they ended, Jack engulfed her in a hug.

"You did amazing, cutie. But now its time to stop talking and rest your throat," he stated, pressing his lips against hers.

"Does resting her throat not include avoiding having tongue shoved down it?" Dorian asked.

"It does. Get off, Jack," Neon commanded.

Jack pulled away slightly, "Let me kiss my girlfriend, Neon."

He pressed his lips back to Arpeggio's. Arpeggio smiled into the kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to musicxloverx2, rivals are insane, tq6776, Erinnnn.xo, Stay Seventeen, managemischief, breepocket, Matt Flyzik., and irishpunk99.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
So the commercial reference was from a State Farm commercial but it was a really small reference so I didn't expect anyone to get it.
The commercial goes something like:
guy2: Like a good neighbor-
guy1: Just say it.
guy2: StateFarm is there.
guy3: with a sandwich.
guy1: and that girl from 4A.
guy2: And can I get a hot tub!

In the story Lestat says "Can I get a 'hot tub' on three?"
I got that line from that commercial.
But I don't think they play it anymore.
Oh and there's this story I've been enjoying a lot that I think you guys should read called Back Pocket Believers
Check it.
I hope you enjoyed.
Comment/Subscribe?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste