Southern Belle

Chapter 30

“Jasper, Spawn” said Edward as Jasper and I sat down across the room.

“Ethel” I said in the same tone. And smiled when he sent a blood chilling look my way.

“Dad” snapped Reneesme as she pushed her father warningly. “Play nice with Aunt Liddie” She had grown up so much in the last few years, I still remembered the day she was born and looking at her teenage form now, one would never think that day was four years ago. “That goes for you too” she said in my direction.

“Hey, I’m being nice” said Edward “I removed ‘Devil’ from the beginning of it.” Progress was being made on our relationship, slowly of course but it was being made.

“And his new name starts with an E” I defended. She should be thankful I put that much consideration into the name at all.

“It’s a girl’s name!” she exclaimed. I stick with my previous answer. It does start with an E.

“All of you, be quiet” said Bella as she, Carlisle and Esme walked into the room. “I swear the only mature one between you four is Jasper.”

“What?” he asked sounding slightly insulted “I’m just scarred of Nessie, that doesn’t mean I’m mature” he ended his sentence with a funny face to prove his point.

“Idiots, they’re all idiots” said Bella as he sat down. You’d think she hadn’t been living with this for the last four years.

“Anyway we’re all here for family updates” said Esme and I groaned as I leaned into Jasper. We had these little meetings every month and I didn’t see the point. So everyone was everywhere, that didn’t mean we had to get together and talk about them.

“Rose and Emmett are doing very well in Antarctica” said Carlisle. “Their studies made the Scientific Journal this month. This is great for their new program and they’re hoping to get a new grant this upcoming July.” He handed out a copy of said journal to everyone in the room.

“Liddie, how is your family doing?” asked Bella. I knew this was coming and I also knew that trying to get out of it would be completely pointless.

“Good. Ariel and Ricky are adopting their first child in May. I guess the Volturi found a newborn and decided to let them take care of her until she learns what she has to.” Ariel and Ricky had gotten married two years ago and no one even knew they were dating until they announced the engagement. Even Roxy had been left in the dark.

“That’s amazing” said Nessie “They always seem so happy whenever I see them. They’d make great mentors for someone.” She was so cute when she got excited and if she wouldn’t rip me into a thousand pieces for saying it then I would have mentioned something about that.

“Tell them about Lester and Roxy” said Jasper. He was more excited than I was about the news and I was the one who’d known them for decades.

“Tell us what?” asked Esme “Did they finally decide to take those jobs at the college?” This would be so much easier if I was aloud to talk without interruptions.

“No, they’re getting married in October, Halloween to be exact.” I said rolling my eyes at the Halloween part. Roxy still had a weird obsession with the color black and loved anything dark and creepy.

“I knew they would bite the bullet sooner or later” said Edward “Lester’s been calling me everyday for the last six months and talking about nothing but that woman.” I was happy by the scowl that appeared on his face because that meant Lester had been annoying him, just like I told him to.

“Now that’s everything” I said dramatically. “Can we please go now?” There were better things I could be doing. I can’t name any right this moment but I knew they were out there.

“Not quite” said Jasper “There’s still something I want to say” I groaned and fell back on the couch.

“Just hurry up so we can leave. I want to go home Jasper.” Home was a beautiful Victorian house in Firebanks that Jasper and I had bought together three years ago.

“Fine” he said and stood up before kneeling down on one knee in font of me. I immediately sat up and I knew I looked like a deer caught in headlights. I had not expected that.

Jasper pulled out a red velvet ring box from his pocket and opened it, revealing a simple but elegant diamond ring.

“Lydia Cecilia Cole” he said “I never want to leave your sight but when I do the only thing I see is your face, the only thing I hear is your voice, and the only thing I smell is your hair after you’ve washed it. You’re my everything. My moon, my sun, and my stars. The only other thing I want you to be is my southern belle. Liddie, will you marry me?”

“Yes” I said pulling him into a hug “a thousand times yes.”

“Ten bucks” said Nessie and Edward groaned before handing her the money.

“You betted on this?” I asked shocked by their behavior but unwilling to release my Jasper.

“Hey, I betted that you’d except” said Nessie “Dad said you wouldn’t.” I smiled and shook my head in amusement. Some things never changed.