Status: Finished (:

Impact

Chapter 12: Ms. Williams

Claire Williams could not believe her eyes. The man that she had once loved, once breathed for had returned. When the split second of memory came back, the anger overtook her. All of a sudden, her hand came down on his cheek with a side-splitting noise. The pain had made his eyes water and his cheeks red, but he looked at her and smiled.

“You never changed, did you Claire Bear?”

“Oh my gosh, this is the sixth time he’s left flowers at my door,” Claire had whined to her best friend over the phone. Robert Williams was basically stalking her and making her incredibly uncomfortable.

“I think you’re going to give in Claire. He’s pretty cute, you know,” her best friend had replied. Claire, of course, had immediately hung up on her. When people disagreed with her, she had a tendency to overreact.

Suddenly, Claire Williams’s windows cracked and she let out a high-pitched shriek. She looked down and saw Robert standing there, with a sheepish grin on his face.

“It works so much better in the movies,” he had said with a chuckle.

“Go away!” she had screamed.

But he hadn’t budged. And he didn’t for two years. Finally, Claire gave in, and it was true love. Sure it was a cliché story, but it was true, and that was really what mattered to Claire. In the end, he had gotten her.


“You sure did,” Claire had responded, with a glare. “Remember that kid we had together, Riley? Yeah, he’s dead now. Hope you’re happy.”

Robert’s face had suddenly gone serious and Claire wasn’t sure if she had a mistake, or if she had gotten what she wanted.

“I know, Claire. That’s why I’m here.”

Claire could only look at him, the tears burning in her eyes. She willed them to not fall; she didn’t want to seem weak in front of the man who had shown her what love was and then abruptly left.

Claire had half a mind right there to slam the door on his face and never see him again. But the other half screamed louder and said, “He could come back to you!”

She moved aside and motioned for him to come in.

“Thank you, Claire.”

“For what?”

“Letting me back in.”