Status: Finished (:

Impact

Chapter 30: Lindy

Friedlinde Baum carefully stood up and slowly walked to the gorgeous picture of Riley. To Lindy, he was perfect, flaws and all. Before she spoke, she softly touched her fingers down the picture. Maybe Riley would feel it in Heaven.

“Hi everyone,” Lindy uncomfortably began. She honestly had no idea what to say. She didn’t want to repeat her eulogy, but then again, what choice did she have?

“When I first met Riley, he pushed me off a swing. When I first kissed him, or rather, he kissed me, we were in a moonbounce for my birthday. When I asked him out, sorry Riley, spoiled the secret, it was at his house. And now, I’m in the one place we don’t have memories. So, I guess this is our new memory,” Lindy began to ramble. Her breathing became short – there was not enough oxygen to share in the room at that point.

“He was definitely my boyfriend, but he was also my best friend. Not a lot of people can say that, I realize it now. Riley, I could tell him anything, and he would never judge me. He wasn’t like any other boy I ever met, to be honest. He cared about me, for real. It wasn’t just a façade to get with me, he wanted to be with me,” Lindy paused for a breath.

All eyes were on her. She was in the spotlight. She had always been in Riley’s spotlight.

“I never in a million years thought I would experience true love before I went to college. But Riley, he proved me wrong. He always did. He was always right, even when I didn’t want him to be. I couldn’t believe how perfect he was – perfect for me, at least,” she kept going on. God, she felt so superficial. She was stating the obvious. What more could she do?

“He made me feel on top of the world, though. He would have brought me the moon if I had asked. The trouble with him was, if I ever got mad at him, and I needed a best friend to turn to, it was impossible – they were both the same person,” she chuckled. Her large eyes wandered across the room once more, as if searching for Riley’s familiar face. But sadly, they looked to no avail.

“Once upon a time, Riley and I were a real-life fairytale. But now, we’re a true tragedy,” she enunciated. She had always been a quick speaker – it sometimes annoyed Riley who could never understand what she was saying.

Tears did not leave anyone’s eyes alone. There were tears of regret, of jealousy, of misfortune, of love, of grief, but most of all there were tears of missing a boy who had, at one point, impacted each and every one of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that Lindy's was supposed to be long and magnificent, but to me, it seemed that short was so sweet. That Lindy's love could not be expressed in pages and pages, so why try? I hope I did not disappoint anyone, but I would like you to know that the story is NOT over ;)