Status: Finished (:

Impact

Chapter 6: Lindy

“Friedlinde, it’s been four days. Please eat something! You can’t live off that chocolate milk crap any longer.”

“First of all, Mom, you know I hate it when you call me Friedlinde. And for the last time, I’m not hungry,” Lindy Baum replied with no emotion in her voice.

“Not eating isn’t going to make him come back, you know.”

“I know,” Lindy whispered, so that only she could hear the two words.

“My feet are cold, Ri. Do we seriously have to be doing this?”

It was December 2008 and Riley had begged her to dangle her feet in the pool next to his. It was one of his sudden urges that Lindy never did understand. But then again, there were thousands of things she couldn’t understand about Riley – it was what made him so different from every other guy.

“Well you don’t have to… I mean, you can go inside anytime you want. I’ll just stay alone, really, it’s fine Lindy,” he innocently said, instantly pulling her into a guilt trip. He was good at making her feel like she had done something wrong.

“No, whatever, it’s fine, I want to stay and be with you,” she said with a slight smile. Not a day went by where she didn’t feel ecstatic that her boyfriend was Riley Williams, the most amazing guy in the universe.

“Hey Lindy, can I ask you something without you accusing me of being a jinx and stuff?”

The question took Lindy by surprise, but she didn’t see how she could refuse.

“Sure, Ri. Promise.”

“What would you do if I died?”

Lindy, again, was taken aback. She chuckled a little.

“What’s up with you Riley? Why are you being so philosophical today?”

“Are you going to answer the question, Lindy?”

“I… I don’t know,” was all she could possibly say. She had gone red in the face and was already halfway to the door when Riley called out.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you. Forget I asked. Please stay.”


For the first time in four days, Lindy smiled.

“I guess now you know Riley… I’d starve myself,” Lindy whispered, truly believing for a nanosecond that Riley was there, listening.
♠ ♠ ♠
In case anyone was wondering, most of my writing is influenced by Jodi Picoult and Nicholas Sparks. I am an avid reader, so they fit in quite well with my writing style.