Memories That Fade Like Photographs

It Was Hers

I was now officially married. The reception was okay I guess but I couldn’t fine Peyton anywhere, and trust me, I looked all night. Alex told me that she had gone back to the apartment after the ceremony but I could see there was something he wasn’t telling me, something big.
At this point I sat on my bed thinking about her, the way her brown hair waved, how her eyes lit up my own, how no matter what was going on she tried to see the positive outcome even if there wasn’t any. I sighed and dug my hands into my pockets as I felt sorry for myself.
I felt something hard and took it out. Of course the notes! I unfolded the paper and looked at my sleeping wife. I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen. May was still up making coffee I assumed.
“Want some little bro?” she asked. I nodded slowly and laid the paper on the table.
“What have you got there?” May inquired picking it up and pouring the black liquid into my mug. She skimmed over it. her mouth hung a little. “I knew something was up with that girl today. She looked so upset.” May frowned handing me the paper, “You might want to read that.” She announced putting milk and sugar into the mug and stirred.
“Thanks May.” The corners of my lips tugged up and I took a sip of the hot liquid. I read over the note.

To my dear beloved Jack,
The past month has been, well it’s been weird, for the both of us. We announced our love and let it slip away to a stranger. A little ironic but I’ll take it and run with it I guess. It’s not something any of us could really control, was it? God if I knew this was going to happen I would have let you walk away from me the day I called you a man whore. Not because I don’t love you or anything but because it made us argue, ripped us apart from the inside out.
But we did okay, better than I ever imagined anyway. I thought you weren’t even going to tell me about Natalia.

Anyway the purpose for me writing this note is, well a week ago I bought plane tickets. You know how I said I was running away. Well that's basically what I’m doing. I need space to clear my head, a fresh start without the drama of the love of my life getting married. I’m still in the US so don’t freak out to badly when you read this… I’m going to miss your face. Though I’m sure it won’t be too far away. You guys are always touring. Maybe one day soon I’ll be able to come see you play again. And then we can reunite and maybe this stupid arranged marriage will be gone and I can finally be yours.
I think we’d both like that.

Before you panic I’m not changing my phone number, it’s going to stay the same so whenever you need to hear my voice you can. Knowing you you’ll call me as soon as you read this so I’ll be waiting up
I’ll always love you, don’t ever forget that Jack.

Forever yours
Peyton Elisabeth Jessica York


I looked over the note again and again reading the same lines.

I’ll always love you, don’t ever forget that Jack I sighed and pulled out my phone. She was right I was going to call her. I needed her now more than ever and she was gone.
After the third ring she picked up.

“Hello?” her groggy voice came though the receiver. She’d been sleeping “Jack?” she asked
“Peyton York what were you thinking leaving me!” I yelled breaking down. May rubbing my back for support.
“I’m sorry, I just I had to Jack, you don’t know what it’s like to watch the man you love get married.” She had a point I must admit.
“Ugh whatever, just I need you. Besides I’m not into guys, I’d much rather you.” I told her trying to bring light to the conversation. I didn’t want to fight with her.
“I need you too, but right now it’s not best. Maybe in a few months. I don’t know. But I love you.” I could hear her smile
“I love you too. Will you stay on the phone with me while I go to sleep?” I asked wanting to hear the sound of her breathing.
“Sure, I’d love to do that for you babe.” She giggled and I heard sheets ruffle.
“Peyton, where are you sleeping?” I asked out of curiosity.
“Curiosity killed the cat you know.” She laughed, she was quoting The Nightmare Before Christmas
“Just tell me” I laughed back getting into the spare bed.
“Well I’m laying on the floor of my new apartment’s bedroom under a blanket I packed and pillow for softness.” She told me yawning.
“Isn’t that uncomfortable?” I asked back.
“Nope, I like the floor.” Her breathing was steady. I closed my eyes and tried to remember her light breathing pattern but before I could memorize it I had fallen asleep.

When I woke up I looked at the phone, the conversation had ended, I looked at the background image. Peyton and myself on a swing set. I smiled at the memory.
But now she was gone. I sung Memories That Fade Like Photographs to myself and sent Peyton the Lyrics. That was her song. Well and truly.
♠ ♠ ♠
hopefully this answers all unanswered questions.
SEQUEL... Yes? No? Maybe?

Thank you!
The Freak Show
JayA7x

For all Your comments :)

Cass