Status: sleepwalking...

Sleepwalking Past Hope

Train Wreck

I felt nervous. My stomach was tied in double knots. I woke at around eight and had drank half a bottle of pepto-bismol by noon. My French manicured nails were only a vice for my nervousness. I sat on the edge of my bed tapping my long nails against the nightstand for fifteen minutes straight.

I stared at the cocktail dress I’d picked out the day before. It was deep purple and strapless. I swallowed the lump in my throat. It was way out of my comfort zone. My normal wardrobe consisted of jeans, t-shirts and sweats.

It was worth it to see Ville though.

I took a deep breath and stood up from the bed. My hair was wrapped in a towel on the top of my head and I still had my pajama’s on. I grabbed the dress off of the doorknob on my way to the bathroom. I didn’t have any time to spare.

---

The doorbell echoed through the house. I stopped dead in my tracks.

“I’m coming!” I yelled as I ran downstairs as best I could in a tight dress. It was never meant for running, luckily I had bare feet, if I had been wearing high heels he might still be waiting.

I pulled the door open. My breath caught in the back of my throat at the sight of him. He was stunning in his black suit. I backed out of the way so that he could come in.

“Hello.” Ville said as he stepped into the door. I closed the door behind him.

“Hi.” I said as I looked down at my small feet, my yellow and white polka dotted toe nails revealed my childish nature. He snickered as I wiggled my toes.

“Sorry, I’m here early; I was dying for another cup of that coffee.” He smiled cheekily.

“Oh! I’ll make you some so you can drink while I finish getting ready.” I said then walked into the kitchen, a slight haste to my steps. I didn’t want to try running again.

“I wore all black so no matter what we would match.” Ville said like he was proud of himself. I glanced over at him as I poured the water into the coffee maker.

“Good idea.” I said as I fidgeted with the coffee maker.

I smiled bashfully, “Okay, it will beep when it gets done. I have to go finish.” I said then ran back upstairs, leaving him alone in the kitchen.

I fixed the remainder of my hair, carefully curling the locks of hair so that they hung loose on my shoulders. I went into my bedroom and grabbed the high-heels from the closet and pulled them over my bare feet; and at last I was ready. I grabbed the black pea-coat from the bed and went downstairs. Pea coats were my favorite, they were classy but could be casual if need be.

“Are you aware of how beautiful you look tonight?” Ville asked, he stood quietly at the end of the stairs holding a coffee cup in his hands.

My cheeks turned bright pink, “No, I’m not.”

“Well, you should be.” He said then took the last drink of his coffee. He sat the cup down, straightened his jacket and held his arm out for me to take. I looped my arm with his and let him lead me out the door. We stopped on the stoop so I could lock the door, then he held his arm out for me take, I hooked my arm with his and he led me to the car. The driver was standing beside the door

A black town car was parked outside of my house.

---

“Don’t be scared,” Ville whispered in my ear, I felt like there was another half to that sentence, and it would have soothed my nervous heart had the words left his lungs.

I laughed a shaky laugh, it held the intricate details of my nervousness.

The room smelled of vanilla, the scent instantly calmed my calamitous stomach. It was decorated mostly in white, white linens draped across the rafters. The tables were arranged around the room randomly and were covered in crisp white linens. The tables were set with black china and a red rose centerpiece adorned the center of the table.

A man wearing a black tux, much like Ville’s, sat at the table Ville was leading me to. He had long dreadlocks that hung over his shoulders. His face held a solemn frown, yet his eyes said held a certain knowledge that made me squirm. I held a straight face as I was introduced to him.

“Linde, this is Emma.” Ville said, a proud smile on his face.

I smiled and nodded, “Hello.” I said courteously.

“I’ve heard many good things about you.” Linde said quietly.

“Over there is Mige, Vedrana…” Ville carried on introducing people, my mind wandered. I couldn’t help but sit and revel in his company. I felt at peace, my heart nearly stopped and I was at peace for a moment.

The room quietly filled with people who became not so quiet. I adored the hum of chit-chat among people. It was comforting.

The music that had been quietly playing in the background became louder and I smiled at the sound. One by one the couples at the table got up and left for the dance floor leaving Ville and I alone.

“You want to dance?” He asked, his charm was irresistible.

I smiled, “I’m not a good dancer.”

He smiled a crooked smile, “You don’t know until you try. I, however, am amazing and it’s a slow dance. There’s nothing to it.”

“You have a good way of talking me into things.” I said as I stood up from the table.

He laughed that signature laugh that made me laugh. Laughing at someone’s laugh, not the joke is the exact opposite of how things work. That’s what I enjoyed about this entire experience, nothing was how it was supposed to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have to split this into two chapters because otherwise, it would be impossible to read. it was four pages in word. No one wants to scroll through that haha.

-love, jessica.