Status: sleepwalking...

Sleepwalking Past Hope

Past Life Love Affair

It was a warm summer night in 1950, the drive-in was alive with the sound of love stricken teenagers and terrible horror movies. These horrible movies allowed for confident 17-year-old boys to make their moves on willing 17-year-old girls.

I headed away from the crowd, to the snack stand. I had a craving for a ice cold coke.

“Emma!” A familiar voice called out. I stopped mid-step.

“What?” I asked, waiting for a friend to jump out and scare me. It never happened, I carried on towards my coke. I stood in line behind the others who, apparently, had the same sort of craving I did.

I stern hand smoothed its way around my back and rested on my hip. I jumped and turned, prepared to unleash a sermon about personal space and modesty. But to him, this sermon would be a hypocrisy, for I wanted him to touch me.

“Ville! You shouldn’t scare me like that.” I smiled, unable to become angry with him. He was always my weakness, my kryptonite I suppose you could say.

He smiled, a low chuckle escaping his lungs, “But it’s fun.”

“Fun or not, others will talk.” I said in the same proper tone that had gotten me into this predicament.

Ville’s hair was swept into the usual pompadour, he wore jeans and a black t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up to conveniently store his cigarette’s. He pulled me flesh against him.

“Let them talk.” He whispered in my ear. How I longed to give this sleepy town something to talk about, but I never offered a refute, no response would tell the truth.

I stepped up in line and ordered my drink.

“So, why are you here? I mean it’s not like you have a date.” Ville said as he leaned against the wall of the Snack Shack.

“I came alone.” I said as I paid the man behind the counter and took the drink from him.

Ville scoffed, “No one comes to the drive-in to be alone.”

“Maybe I was waiting for you, oh dear knight in shining armor, to save me from loneliness.” Sarcasm hung thick in the air, it wasn‘t sarcasm as much as it was playfulness.

“I can do that.” He said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the crowd of people. Standing in the darkness, his lips attached to mine in a perfect mixture of bliss and desire, I knew there was a place for us. One where no one would care who my father was or who Ville wasn’t.


My eyes fluttered open, it took milliseconds for me to realize that I wasn’t in my house. The taste of wine was thick in my mouth. Ville, Linde and Mige stood around the bed with worried expressions consuming their usual gentleness.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I sat up, the crimson blanket fell at my waist.

Linde sat on the edge of the bed in a fatherly sort of way. He acted antsy; the way a parent does before the speech about the birds and bees. Which I didn’t need…

“Emma, we had to turn you.” He spoke slowly and carefully, as if he were walking in unknown territory.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this five different ways; this was the best, by far. I hope you enjoy it, there is a second part to it that's coming soon! Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving! :D