Dreaming of Sunsets

Chapter 2

"Sen, wake up." I groaned, pulling the pillow over my head. "No, Missy, you have to wake up," Matt said, pulling the pillow off along with the blankets.

"I could kill you right now," I grumbled, keeping my eyes closed.

"But you would fail epically."

"I'll show you epic."

I heard him chuckle and start to pull me up by my waist. "Why such the bad mood this morning?"

"You woke me up." He picked me up in his arms and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Well, I'm sorry, Sleeping Beauty, but, it's already noon."

"Seriously?" I asked, shocked.

I felt like I was being set down, then felt cushions underneath me. I assumed I was on the couch. "You looked like you were having a bad dream," he said softly, smoothing my hair out.

"On occasion."

"Are they the same one?" I knew what he meant, but I didn't want to answer him. He sighed. "You can't keep letting it get to you, Sen."

"It's not that, Matt," I said, my voice barely coming out as a whisper.

"Hey! Look who's finally up!" Saved by Jimmy.

"Where's Cal?" I asked, trying to keep Matt distracted.

"Fine, I see how you are. I don't want to see you either."

"Kind of hard to do, Jimbo." He got quiet.

"Sorry, Sen. I-"

"You're fine, Jimmy. Can you please just get Cal for me?" From the sound of the retreating footsteps, I figured he left me with Matt again.

"What was the dream about, Sen?" Matt asked softly.

Before I could answer him, I was saved yet again. "What's up, Sen? Shocked to see you up so late," Cal joked, sitting next to me on the couch.

"Where are my glasses? I know you hid them," I said, crossing my arms and trying to give him the most stern look I could even though I couldn't actually see him.

He sighed. "You don't need them, Sen."

"I think that's for me to decided."

"Sen-"

"Jimmy, can you please get my sunglasses? Seeing as how I can't find them for myself and jackass here won't get them for me," I grumbled, leaning back into the couch.

I heard him chuckle quietly. "Sure, give me a minute." A few minutes later, I heard him come back in. "Found them!" He said proudly.

Cal grumbled unhappily and got up. "Thanks, Jim."

"Why doesn't Cal want you to wear them?" He asked, confused.

I shrugged. "Who knows?" I said, playing it off. I knew they would catch on soon enough to why I always wanted to wear them, but not just yet. "Where's everyone else?"

"Kitchen."

I got up and navigated myself to the kitchen. It had taken a while for me to get it down without running into any objects, and it felt like a huge success when I did.

"There she is," Zack said happily. Way to happily...

"Why the hell are you so chipper this morning?" I asked, going over to the cupboard to get a bowl.

"Because I'm home and can be with you. Here." I felt him by me suddenly, getting the bowl for me.

"I can do things for myself, you know," I said, a bit agitatedly. He was quiet and I knew I had hit a soft spot. "I'm sorry, Zack. You just have to know that I'm not helpless."

"I know," he whispered, kissing my forehead, before walking out of the kitchen. I sighed, putting the bowl back, suddenly not feeling hungry.

"Just give it time, Sen. He feels the need to protect or help you in any way. He feels guilty not being here for you with the accident," Matt said, rubbing my back.

"But he shouldn't."

"He's a Baker, what do you expect? You're all hard headed."

"Look who's talking."

I knew Matt was trying to joke around with me to get my mood up, but I just couldn't ignore the feeling in my stomach. I didn't want Zack to feel guilty for something that wasn't his fault. It was my thing that I have to deal with, not him.