Dreaming of Sunsets

Chapter 28

Image

Image

"Sen! We're going to open presents!" I heard Jimmy yell from the living room. He was such a kid!

"I'll be right there!" I called back, still finishing up a few things for dinner.

"Baby, come on. Everything will be fine, just leave it. Plus, I think Jimmy's about to explode if you don't hurry," Brian said, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"I'll be right there," I mumbled, grabbing an oven mitt and checking the cookies.

"Living room, now," Zacky said, coming out of nowhere, grabbing the oven mitt and dragging me to the living room.

"But, the cookies-" I started, but Val cut me off.

"I'll get them, you sit and relax." Her and Zacky were the only two that knew about my little surprise for Bri, so they both had kept an extra eye on me all day.

"Presents!" Jimmy yelled/squealed as he sat in front of his pile and did a little dance.

"You are so strange," I mumbled, shaking my head.

"Here, Babe." Brian handed me some Eggnog.

"This doesn't have Rum, right?" I asked cautiously.

He gave me a confused look. "It does, why?"

"Here, this one doesn't," Zack said, giving me his.

"You usually have Rum in yours." Brian frowned.

I kissed his almost pouting lips and smiled. "I just don't feel like drinking tonight." He shrugged, and turned his attention back to Johnny who was opening his present.

Like every year, everyone had stayed over until at least one in the morning. Brian was about to fall asleep on the couch, but I was too giddy to go to bed just yet.

"Come on, Bri. I still have my present for you." I smiled, pulling him upstairs.

"Oh, sneaky." He smirked, wiggling his eye brows.

"Sit." I pushed him down onto the bed, before going into the bathroom. I simply placed a red bow on my stomach, before taking a deep breath. When I opened the door, Brian was leaning back on his elbows, just waiting.

He gave me a confused look as I walked over to him. "I have a really special present for you, but you unfortunately can't have it just yet," I said softly, standing in front of him.

"I don't understand," he mumbled. I took his hand and placed it on my stomach. It took him a few minutes, but soon, his eyes widened in understanding. "Really?" He whispered, still in shock. I smiled softly, nodding my head. "Baby, that's great!" He picked me up and spun me around. "How far along are you?" He asked, laying me on the bed and pushing my shirt up.

"About two months." I giggled at his excited face.

"Hey there," he said softly, kissing my stomach.

"You know the baby can't here you, right?"

He sent me a playful glare. "I can still talk to it if I want to. It'll here me soon enough." He continued to kiss, rub and speak to my stomach. I just lay there, smiling at him. He really was excited about becoming a father. "When did you stop using the pill?" He asked, coming to lay beside me.

"A little while before your accident," I said softly, keeping my gaze down to the comforter.

"Why didn't you tell me? I feel like such an ass," he mumbled, laying back on the bed and throwing his arm over his eyes.

"Because I wanted to surprise you. I didn't know it would be in time for Christmas, but I still wanted to surprise you. I know you really want this Bri, and I'm trying not to be so freaked out about it."

He looked at me with sad eyes. "Baby, you didn't need to do this for me. I know you're having a hard time with it, and I don't want to push you."

I nodded. "I know, but, I thought it was time to finally put the past behind me. We've started our own lives together, and what better way than to bring a baby into it?"

I was pretty convinced that his smile was now permanent. I didn't see it leaving anytime soon, and that was fine with me. I just hope that nothing goes wrong.

The next morning I got ready before we headed over to Brian's parent's. Zacky was still upset that I wasn't going with him to Zina's. It broke my heart to see his face, but what could I do? I already promised Brian that we'd go to his parents this Christmas.

"They're here!" McKenna yelled after she opened the door.

"Hey, you." Brian smiled, picking up his little sister.

"Come on in guys!" Suzy said, coming to the door to great us.

"Can I tell them now?" Brian asked, his grin still plastered onto his face.

"Tell us what?" Papa asked.

I just rolled my eyes and nodded. "We're going to have a baby!" Brian said, almost jumping up and down.

Papa looked at me with wide eyes as Suzy squealed in happiness. "That is so great!" She said, giving me a hug.

"How do you feel?" Papa asked quietly as he gave me a hug. I smiled lightly and just shrugged. He nodded, knowing that we would talk later.

The rest of the day was filled with normal Christmas activities. But, of course Gavin had called me, asking me why I wasn't over there. His voice sounded so upset, like he was crying.

I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "Buddy, I'll come by tomorrow." I told my nephew.

"Why can't you come today? Today's Christmas, not tomorrow!"

I could feel the tears stinging the back of my eyes. What were you supposed to tell him? I mean, really? I felt like a total bitch. "I'll see what I can do, Gav," I said softly, before hanging up.

"Hey, everything okay?" Brent asked, finding me alone on the front porch.

"That was just Gavin. He's upset that I'm not with him for Christmas," I said, trying to keep the tears at bay. I loved my nephew. He meant the world to me, and I felt like I was letting him down some how.

Brent frowned. "Then go."

I looked at him confused. "What?"

"Go see Gavin. He obviously needs you more than my brother does right now."

"But I promised Brian-"

"If your own husband can't understand that you need to spend some time with your own family on Christmas too, then he needs to pull his head out of his ass." He pulled me into a hug. "Go see your nephew, Sen. I'll take care of Brian."

"Thanks, Brent." I smiled, before going back inside. I grabbed my purse and the keys, before Brian saw me.

"Where are you going?" He asked, confused.

"I'm sorry, Bri, but Gavin just called me in tears. I need to go see my family, too."

He frowned, but then nodded his head. "I understand."

"You're not mad, are you?" I whispered.

He shook his head. "No, I'm not mad. Tell them I said hi." He pulled me into his arms and gave me a kiss. "I love you," he said softly, running his hand over my stomach. "Don't be out too late."

"I won't. I'll txt you when I'm on my way home."

When I got to my sister's, I could here the music going and the laughter of my brothers and a few of my cousins. Oh, this was going to be good...

"Aunty Sen!" I was taken off guard and tackled by Gavin, who I hadn't seen until it was too late.

"Gav!" Zacky quickly pulled him off of me, helping me up. "You okay?" He asked frantically.

"I'm fine," I said, laughing lightly.

"I thought you were staying with Brian's family today," Zina said confused, while giving me a hug.

I smiled down at Gavin who decided to attach himself to me. "I had a little bit of persuasion."

Zina crossed her arms and gave Gavin a look, who just smiled innocently up at her.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Zacky asked again.

"Zachary, I'm fine, I told you already," I sighed, shaking my head.

"Why are you so panicked about her?" Zina asked, giving him a questioning look.

"Because she's pregnant." He let it slip before he could even think about it.

Zina's eyes widened as I slapped Zack's arm. "Really?! Oh my God! That's great!" Zina smiled, pulling me into another hug.

"What's pregnant?" Gavin asked, cocking his head to the side.

"She has a baby in her tummy," Zacky said, laying his hand on my stomach.

"You have a baby in there?" Gavin asked, poking it like it was some un-known blob or something.

I laughed. "Yep, your new cousin."

"Sweet!" He seemed so fascinated by the thought.

Ah, children. What I would give to be his age again. There was nothing to worry about. Your biggest fear was the monster in the closet. Now, things were so much more complicated. Where is that time machine?

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit