Dreaming of Sunsets

Chapter 9

Image

*Sen's P.O.V.*

The next day, I pretty much stayed in Zack's bed all day. I was trying to not let the fact of what happened get to me, I was going to be strong about this and not let it rule my life. I could tell Zack was a bit skeptical and scared about this after I had told him, but he didn't argue with me.

"So..." Zack trailed off, trying to start a conversation.

"What?" I sighed, already knowing where he was heading.

"Are you ever going to move back in?" He asked in one rushed voice.

I buried my face in the pillow, not wanting to get into this conversation. I simply settled for shaking my head.

"Why not?" I could hear the hurt in his voice and it was tearing my heart to pieces.

"Please don't do this, Zack," I mumbled.

"Do what? Sen, I realized I was an ass and I'm sorry for that, but, you know I'll change all of that. Please, you have to move back in."

I lifted my head up. "And why is that? You're a big boy, Zack; plus, you have the band and now the guys are over almost all the time. You're going to be busy recording and other things that you won't even notice I'm gone."

It was quiet for a few minutes, before he replied. "Yes, I will."

"I'm sorry, Zack, but my word's final. I'm not moving back in."

I heard him sigh, before kissing the top of my head. "I understand," was all he said, before getting up and leaving.

I wanted to follow him and make him understand, because I knew he still didn't, but sleep was taking over me.

Throughout the night, I was having nightmares, and was afraid to sleep, but I kept telling myself that I was not going to let this ruin my life. I had let too many things ruin my life already, I needed to get over it. Slowly but surely I would.

I heard a soft knock on the door. "Sen? You up?" I heard Cal's voice call softly from the door.

"Yeah," I said, yawning and sitting up.

I felt the bed sink next to me as he sat down. "So, I have some good news for you."

I smiled at his excited voice. "Good news would be wonderful right now."

"How you feelin'?" He asked, stroking my hair.

"You can't just do that!" I said, shaking my head at his easy distractions.

He laughed softly. "Sorry! Anyways, Ken Richards called." My body froze in shock.

"What did he say?" My voice came out barely over a whisper.

"He said he wants to have a meeting with you... Today."

"Really?" Okay, this couldn't be right.

"Really. Now, get up and I'll bring in your clothes." He kissed my forehead before getting up. I already knew my way around the house, so I found my way to the bathroom for my shower.

A few weeks ago, I had sent in some of my pictures to a small photography agency that was well known around Huntington. I had loved their work before the accident and always wanted to work there. So, I sent them a letter with a few of my pictures and prayed for the best. Now, I was happy I did.

When I was ready, I started walking down the stairs, when I heard Zack talking. "I don't like this one bit," he mumbled.

"Zack, this is one of her dreams, you can't take that away from her," Cal defended.

"You saw what happened to her yesterday," he hissed. "I know she's not over it; you don't just get over something that easily."

"Yeah, well maybe she's trying to, have you thought about that? Maybe she doesn't want to dwell on it."

"She's dealt with too many things. I don't want this ass breaking her down even more."

"What makes you think he will? She hasn't even gone to the meeting yet!" Cal didn't get angry often, so it was strange to hear when he did. "This is her life, Zack not yours! So let her live it how she wants to."

I decided to make my presence known before they started ripping each other to pieces. "Hey, ready?" I asked Cal.

"Yeah, let's go." He put on a fake, happy attitude to make me think nothing had just gone on.

We waited in the lobby for about an hour before Mr. Richards called us into his office. "Miss Baker, it's nice to meet you," he said as he closed the door.

"You too," I smiled, pulling off my sunglasses. I heard silence after that and Cal taking my hand in his.

"Oh, I had no idea..." Mr. Richards trailed off.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, confused.

He cleared his throat. "Please excuse my bluntness, but... I had no idea that you're blind."

"Partially," Cal said in a strained voice. "She can still see shapes and such things." I squeezed his hand, telling him to shut up.

"Well, that may change things," Mr. Richards said, sitting down.

"How so?" I asked, not liking where this was going.

"Miss Baker, your photos are spectacular, but your sight may put you in a tough spot."

"And why would that be?" I asked, slowly becoming frustrated with this man.

He sighed. "No disrespect towards you, but how do you expect to take photos with your sight?"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I've been getting along just fine so far. Why wouldn't I be able to continue this way?"

"But all of your pictures are of the sunsets and beach. Yes, they are beautiful, but people get bored of them after a while. We need a more versatile photographer."

"And your sure this isn't because of my eye sight?" I asked, a bit crudely.

"Well, of course a little of it is."

I sighed, standing up. "Then you must not be a photographer yourself, because you don't see past the flaws. Thanks for your time," I said, walking out.

"Are you okay?" Cal asked softly as we walked to the car.

"Fine," I said, smiling to reassure him.

I won't lie, it did sting a bit that Mr. Richards had said that, but that just means there's better options out there... Right?

*Zacky's P.O.V.*

"I don't know about this, man..." Matt mumbled, looking over my shoulder at the computer.

"Come on, Matt. This would make so many things better for her," I said, itching to call.

He sighed. "Why don't you talk to her about it first? It would have to be her decision in the end anyways."

"Yeah, alright." I nodded, knowing he was right. But... It wouldn't hurt to call ahead of time, could it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh... What does Mr. Vengeance have up his sleeve??? Who thinks he's gonna get in trouble? Tell me in a comment! :)