Status: Currently on hold (evil writer's block) though I fully intend to finish this story eventually.

My Favorite Part Was Dying

The Ghost Of You

The tears streamed down his pale cheeks, almost burning away his skin. His long black hair hid broken-hearted hazel eyes.

How could he be gone?

Gerard Way held his head in his hands as he sat under an old willow tree, across from the cemetery where his brother's funeral was being held. The bright sunshine, so out of place with how he felt, blared through the drooping leaves.

The tears began to fall faster than before as he thought of his sweet brother.... As he thought of Mikey's kind smile, and how that smile would never be seen again. Gerard began to sing quietly, uttering the words between sobs.

"If I died we'd be together now...
I can't always just forget him,
But he could try...

At the end of the world,
Or the last thing I see,
You are never coming home,
Never coming home,
Could I? Should I?"

Unable to keep singing, he looked up into the hanging branches through streaming eyes. He gasped, the thin frame of his brother stood before him. He wiped his eyes furiously, trying to see through the haze of tears.

It can't be him... Oh, God. Why can't it be him?

"Gee?"

He heard that soft voice, saw those lips move, but he still couldn't let himself believe it. He looked into his dead brother's eyes, then shut his own tight.

I want you to be here. But you can't be. You can't. You're gone and you're not coming back.

"I am here. I'm not gone...." Mikey's voice whispered into Gerard's ear.

Gerard covered his mouth to keep from wailing. He had never known pain as intense as this. He wanted with all his heart to just grab his brother in his arms and hold him, feel him alive, but he didn't dare move. Gerard knew he must have gone mad -- he was imagining his brother here to comfort him through his grief.

But the hand that caressed his cheek felt so real. Gerard finally opened his eyes, taking in the sight of his brother. A small smile was playing on Mikey's lips.

"It's okay, big brother. It's okay," he murmured. The tears welled up in Gerard's eyes once more.

"How can it be? You're dead...." he finally said out loud, acknowledging Michael's presence. Gerard watched as Mikey shook his head and spoke again.

"Gerard... My favorite part was dying."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments will keep this story alive. Please tell me what you think!
~aep