Status: Currently on hold (evil writer's block) though I fully intend to finish this story eventually.

My Favorite Part Was Dying

Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

Gerard had always hated hospitals, watching his grandmother and then his brother waste away inside their sterile walls. But this was worse. Now he was watching himself fade away. His parents had betrayed him. When they had brought his friends to talk to him, they had listened by the door. Gerard didn't blame his friends, they didn't know. And they gave him one shining evening of feeling like a whole person, instead of a shell.

But then he had to go home. He had to see Mikey. Mikey had to leave him. He had to shout out. His parents had to burst in. And they felt that they had to admit him into a mental hospital.

"Honey, it's for your own good. You're not thinking straight." Donna said sadly to Gerard, taking his hand in hers. He pulled it away quickly.

"Okay, even if I wasn't thinking straight, the only time someone needs to be admitted into a mental hospital is if they're a danger to themselves or others. And I don't fit into those categories, now let me go home!" Gerard demanded. His parents just shook their heads. He sat back in the small hard bed and folded his arms across his chest. He couldn't believe this was happening.

You can't believe that you got yourself stuck in a mental institution, but you can believe that your dead brother is talking to you? Oh my God. I do belong here....

"Gee, you're not crazy!"

"Oh hell no!" Gerard's head snapped around to see Mikey standing on the opposite side of the bed, glaring at their parents. Donna and Donald gave each other significant looks.

"Oh crap!" Gerard muttered. Just get out of here! You're making a bigger mess!

Mikey lowered his gaze and shoved his hands in his jean pockets. "I'm sorry. You're right. I'll go."

"Wai--" Gerard felt his parents' intense gazes on him. Wait, you can hear my thoughts, right? Mikey nodded. Okay, maybe I'm just slow, but I never really noticed that before.

Mikey giggled and lifted his head up. "Yeah, you always were a little bit slow." he admitted.

Thanks, thanks a lot. Feeling the brotherly love! Gerard thought sarcastically. He looked over to his parents to see them staring quizzically at him, their eybrows furrowed. He attempted a smile that must have looked more like a painful grimace because his parents' just looked at him even more strangely.

"Dumbass -- when you're thinking to me you can't use the facial expressions you would use when talking. It's a dead giveaway. Man, I love you, but come on." Mikey said, shaking his head.

Gerard rolled his eyes, then tried to keep his face as blank as possible. You're a mean brother! I'm not stupid... well, I'm under a lot of stress. So I'm not --

"'Thinking Straight?' as Mom put it." Mikey asked, smirking. Gerard couldn't help but glare at his (invisible) brother.

"D-Do you think that Mikey's here right now?" Donna asked hesitantly. Gerard turned to look at her, biting his lip.

"Smooth. Gee, you gotta learn to fake it." Mikey said, exasperated. Gerard rolled his eyes again and finally spoke.

"No."

His parents looked at each other wearily. They knew he was lying. They stood up slowly and headed towards the door.

"We'll be back later, sweetie." his mother said. Gerard nodded sullenly and turned back to Mikey once the door closed behind them.

"Mikey, I don't wanna say this, I really don't, but you need to go. I can't pretend that I can't see you. You said you wouldn't come when people were around. Why did you now?"

"I'm sorry, I just, I missed you. I'll - I'll go." Mikey muttered sadly, fading into nothingness. Gerard just stared at the space where his brother had been and sighed.

And the whole time while always giving,
Counting your face among the living

But would anything matter if you're already dead?
And well should I be shocked now by the last thing you said?

Your eyes vacant and stained...
And in saying you loved me,
Made things harder at best,
And these words changing nothing
As your body remains,
And there's no room in this hell,
There's no room in the next,
And our memories defeat us,
And I'll end this direst.

But does anyone notice?
But does anyone care?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments! ! !
~aep