Status: Currently on hold (evil writer's block) though I fully intend to finish this story eventually.

My Favorite Part Was Dying

Can't Run Away

Gerard walked right out of the school with his brother. A brother that was completely invisible to the rest of the world.

"So what are we gonna do now?" Gerard asked as they reached the sidewalk.

Mikey shrugged and smiled, "Whatever the hell we want."

* * *

"So, you're seriously gonna leave me in the dark about the whole after-life thing, aren't you?" Gerard asked as he and his brother walked aimlessly into downtown.

"Sorry, bro. I would if I could, I should, but I can't, so I won't." Mikey said in one breath.

"You always said that to confuse people that were asking you pointless questions... that means me, now, I guess." Gerard said. Mikey nodded with a grin on his face.

He abruptly changed the topic, "You need to hang out with the guys more. They miss us. And they shouldn't have to miss both of us. You can still spend time with them."

"Don't lecture me. If you don't want the guys to miss you, why don't you appear to them too?" Gerard questioned.

"...Cause I'm a figment of your imagination." Mikey answered.

"No. You're here.... I'm not nuts, am I?" Gerard asked, suddenly unsure of himself.

"I'm here. It's all real. But nobody can know. They would think you were crazy." Mikey conceded.

"Really? Telling people about the chats I'm having with my dead brother could sound a bit odd?" Gerard asked, his voice dripping with playful sarcasm. Mikey laughed, eyes shining.

But after a moment, the smile left his lips. Gerard looked around to see what had caused the sour look on his brother's face. It was a police car, moving very slowly behind them.

"Shit, we should have taken back roads. The school must have called Mom and Dad," Mikey muttered.

"What do we do?" Gerard asked quietly.

"It'd probably be better to face it. The longer you wait, the more trouble you'll be in. Crap, I dragged you into such a mess." Mikey said, hanging his head.

"It's okay, it makes life interesting," Gerard said as he grabbed his brother in a hug.

"Are you nuts?! Do you really need a police officer seeing you hug thin air?" Mikey asked.

"I don't care," Gerard said, finally letting go.

"I gotta leave now. But I'll come back as soon as I can," Mikey said, fading into nothingness once again.

"Damn it!" Gerard muttered, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. He held them back, hearing the police car door open and footsteps approach him.

"What are you doing, kid?" a burly, red-faced cop asked. His badge read "R. Kingston."

"Just walking, Officer." Gerard murmured.

"What's your name?"

There was no point in lying, "Gerard Way."

"Come with me. Get in the front seat," Officer Kingston demanded. Gerard followed in silence, utterly miserable. Gerard got in the car and buckled himself into the seat. Kingston started up the engine and spoke into the police radio.

Great. Just great. Gerard thought to himself, staring out the window as the world passed by.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seriously, people. No comments, no chapters. I don't feel like posting this if I know no one cares. So just take a minute to leave a comment.
~aep