The Affair of Mr. Rogers Jr.

Chapter One

I was sitting alone in Phillies Bar, quietly drinking my cup of coffee. It was very quiet, excluding the noise coming from old Mr. Principi, the old man who owns the place, who was washing some cups.

You see, I got off from work at three in the morning. I used to work at a rundown factory on the other side of town, called ‘Rogers and C.O.’ The hours weren’t exactly great, but at least it paid the bills. I remember always being tired after I got off, so Mr. Principi was really nice as to keep the place open until I could have my annual cup of coffee. Mr. Principi and I didn’t really talk much. Ha, there was no need for talk at that hour of the morning.

All of a sudden, I heard the bell on the shop’s door jingle and the crisp cold air whirl around me.

“Hey! How you folks doin’?” Mr. Principi greeted the people who walked in. I couldn’t see who they were since the door was behind me, but soon enough they walked around the bar and took a seat down the bar to my left. It was an older man with a younger looking woman. I thought the man looked familiar, but I couldn’t quite tell. The two didn’t look at each other as they told Mr. Principi what they would like. As soon as Mr. Principi walked off to get them their order, they stole a look at each other. Their eyes held a wanting… a desire that held something so strong in its grasp. But as quickly as the two shared the moment, they looked away and put a grimace on their faces. Why, they looked as if the two were hiding their feelings for each other.

I shrugged to myself and went on quietly drinking my coffee. Even when I was done, I wanted to wait after the couple had left to talk to Mr. Principi. There was something very odd about the couple. Even in front of the old man, they acted like they completely disliked the other. Then when the old man would turn away, they would both share that same look of desire in their eyes. I also wanted to know who the gentleman was. I still couldn’t put my finger on it, but he looked oddly familiar.

It was a few minutes later when the couple decided to finally leave. After the door jingled closed, I stood up and started to flatten out the wrinkles in my jacket and pants. Mr. Principi came over to me and took my coffee cup. I stopped him before he could go to wash it.

“Mr. Principi, would it be alright if I asked you something?” I inquired.

The old man looked at me with tired eyes and said, “Why, sure. What is it?”

“Well, I couldn’t help but notice that gentleman that just left. He looked quite familiar. Did you happen to catch his name by chance?” I put my elbows on the bar and leaned in close to the old man, my voice low as if I didn’t want the wind outside to hear me.

The old man gave a hearty laugh. “Why, who wouldn’t know that uptown man from a distance? Why, he Mr. Rogers Jr., the son o’ your boss.”

That’s it! That’s where I had seen him before, I thought. Mr. Rogers was the old, wealthy man that owned the factory I used to work at. Mr. Rogers Jr. is his son. Now to find out who that young lady was…

“Mr. Principi, correct me if I’m wrong but, isn’t Mr. Rogers Jr. married to that older woman from Chicago?”

“Why, yes he is. The woman he was with tonight kinda confused me, too. I dunno who she is o’ where she’s from. Never seen her before. But I don’t like to be nosy and ask questions, so I didn’t bother.” Mr. Principi said, and with that he left to go wash my cup and get ready to close.

I took my old sweet time leaving the place, pondering about whom that woman could have been and why she and Mr. Rogers Jr. were acting admirable towards each other. Like Mr. Principi said, I didn’t want to go sticking my nose in anyone else’s business, but the way those two were tonight could not have been normal.

I started down the street towards where I lived, and pulled my jacket tighter around me as the cool air sent shivers all throughout my body. As I thought about the situation at hand, the only possible explanation came to mind.

Mr. Rogers Jr. was having an affair with another woman.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was just a story that I submitted for school. My friends all hated it, but told me that I should sumbit it to mibba anyway. The sad thing is, my teacher is the only one who liked the story. :\ But at least I got a good grade on it.

Comments would be nice, even if they're to tell me that my writing sucks monkey balls.