Malicious Smile

Carnival Lights At Night

The technicolour carnival lights in the distance, blurring together more and more with every step I took, caused a glare that made it almost impossible to see the car park at the end of the street. So I used my prior knowledge to lead me down the street towards the carnival grounds.

Up and down the sides of the street, cars were parked bumper-to-bumper. I wasn’t the only one headed to the fair grounds tonight, both lanes busy with people not only coming but going. As children around me, and even people in the fair ground screamed and laughed and had a blast, I silently marched forward like a deathly figure. Not a smile touched my lips, not a movement flickered my gaze as I just marched forwards.

For as long as I can remember now I’ve been depressed, lonely. I’ve played up this charade that is my life for all it’s worth, but it’s finally run dry. For months now I haven’t cracked a smile, my laugh fading from the memories of all those who know me. And for months now, I’ve been worried that if I don’t find a meaning for this life, then there might be no life at all.

At the entrance to the parking lot, two guards stood there in fluoro vests, with indicator sticks in there hands to ward off any oncoming cars with the warning that parking spots were loaded full. As I passed by them, they both seemed to eye me with a sort of hidden fear. This almost made me crack a smile, the thought that someone feared me and I wasn’t even me. Almost…

I made my way through the parking lot towards the entrance of the carnival. The lights of the showgrounds danced along the bodies of the parked cars, turning all weird and wonderful colours as I made my way along the bitumen. It was beside the entrance that I spotted Oliver.

I walked towards him, unnoticed completely. Frowning, I glanced at his costume. The tattered jeans, the white top contrasting with the black leather jacket and heavy steel capped boots with a cigarette hanging limply between his lips. This could have been any character. But it was the black, slicked back, oiled up hair that gave him away; Danny Boy from Grease.

Oliver didn’t raise his eyes until I stood before him, clicking my tongue on the roof of my mouth.
‘Tsk, tsk, tsk.’ I sighed. He jumped, looking me and my attire up and down with wide eyes.
‘Cl-Claire? Oh god, you actually came as him.’ I watched a small shudder rack his frame, despite the lack of a cold chill in the air. I just shrugged him off.
‘I couldn’t think of anything else to come as.’ Maybe I worded that wrong. Maybe I should have said better instead.

Oliver took a few moments to collect himself together, but I could still see the worry in his face as he reached out to gently grab me and pull me into a hug. I half-heartedly wrapped my arms around his waist, trying to avoid laying my face down against his chest for fear that I’d ruin my make-up so earlier on in the night.
‘Marco and Stella are just a few minutes down the road, they called me only moments ago.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Far from over.