A Summer to Remember

Sometimes life just comes crashing down

The vibration of my phone caused me to jump as I was ringing up a pair of cleats for a customer, my friends knew not to text me while I was at work unless it was important since I could get fired if I was caught. Once the customer had left I pulled my phone out of my pocket and opened it,

New Text: James :) flashed on my screen.

Hey, we need to talk. Meet me outside?

Sighing softly I looked up at the clock 3:52. I get off work in eight minutes so I texted back sure and waited impatiently for the clock to reach 4. My mind was spinning James always met me after work because I don’t have a car, but the weird part is him texting me. He usually walks inside and waits for my shift to end. Something was wrong, I just didn’t know what. The hand on the clock reached 4 just as Kate another employee took my spot.

As soon as I walked out of Sports Authority I heard James yell.

“Dani, over here.” I walked over to the bench I usually sit at during my lunch break and sat down.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked nonchalantly.

“Dani,” James let out a small sigh then turned to face me. This wasn’t good, I could feel my heart racing something bad happened, did my mom get in a car accident, oh my god did my dad get arrested…Jake had better not done something stupid. The back of my neck started to sweat. “I know we only graduated three days ago, but it’s time to start looking at the future. I know there’s three months until college starts, but I have had enough of this town. I don’t want anything to do with it anymore and that includes you.” After those words he stood up and walked back to his car and drove off like nothing had happened.

I don’t know how long I sat at that bench with my mouth hanging agape, but when rain started falling from the sky I finally got over my shock and started bawling. What could I do to deserve this? Since I was unable to come up with an answer I did the one thing I always do when I need help. I called my brother.

***************************************************************************************************

Jake’s POV

“Hey little miss graduate,” I said as I answered my phone.

“Alex…” I heard Dani’s voice crack, then a bunch of sobbing.

“Dani, where are you?”

“At Sports Authority,” she answered.

“Okay, I’m not to far from there, stay where you are, I’m coming.” I ended the call the looked at my friends. “Hey do you guys mind if we make a quick stop before we head back?” I heard a unison of no’s, so I drove off to as fast as I could to my sister.

“Hey, Sports Authority!” Pat shouted. “I love this place, what our we doing here?”

“We—“ but before I could respond Jon cut me off.

“Jesus Kaner, were all in the same car you don’t have to shout.”

“Yeah Kaner, you’re such a little kid.” I heard Kris say.

“Guys, shut up! We are going to pick up my sister and she’s upset so if I hear a peep out of anyone of you, I will personally beat the crap out of you.”

**************************************************************************************************

Dani’s POV

When I saw Jake’s car pull up I ran straight into the passenger’s side. Tears streaked down my face along with mascara and wind whipped my hair around making it so I could barely see. I climbed into the car and shut the door; finally safe from the rain and wind I looked up at Jake.

“Dani, what happened?” He asked. His face was filled with concern. That’s the way he’s always been though. Jake is the typical over protective brother, who is always ready to go after whoever hurt me. I spilled out my story. Telling him exactly what happened.

“And on top of that, Julie, Andrea and Margaret all texted me after I called you and told me this is the only night we will be able to hang out over the summer.”

“Whoa, why? You guys have spent every summer together for as long as I can remember.”

“Because Julie got a job up in Milwaukee to pay for her college books, Andrea is visiting her cousins in Arizona and Margaret is going to Europe for the whole summer. This just sucks! What am I supposed to do all summer? I have no one to hang out with.” I said with a sigh.

“That does suck, I’m sorry, I wish I could help” Jake replied.

I sighed, “It’s not your fault Jake, I’m just glad you care.”

“Glad I could help, are Julie, Margaret and Andrea coming over tonight?”

“Yeah, if this is the only time I’m going to see them this summer, we’re going to have a lot to do tonight.” I answered.

“Just don’t do anything crazy.” Jake said as we pulled up our house. Well technically mine because Jake doesn’t live here anymore he has his own apartment in Chicago.

I gave him my most angelic smile and said “Of course not Jake.” Before I left I took a glance at myself in the car mirror to see how terrible my appearance was. As I looked in the mirror I saw the most beautiful blue eyes looking at me in the reflection. I gasped, but quickly recovered by making it look like I was shocked at how bad my hair looked. Quickly I hugged my brother good-bye and ran straight into house. It took all my strength not to turn around and get one more glance at those beautiful blue eyes that were driving away in my brother’s car.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first story so please comment and tell me what you think.