A Summer to Remember

Day of Rest

“She would change everything, everything just ask her. Caught in the in between of a beautiful disaster. She just needs someone to take her home,” my phone blared. I groaned, are reached for my phone. “Hello?” I said in a sleepy voice. I had no idea who I was talking to I hadn’t bothered to look at the caller ID before answering.

“Hey sis, I just wanted to tell you that we’re not doing anything to day. We decided Sunday will be are rest day.”

“Okay… you couldn’t have told me later or at least texted me?” I asked irritated. “I was kinda sleeping, Jake.”

“Oh… sorry I didn’t mean wake you, I was just heading out to see Laura and I didn’t really look at the time.”

That’s okay, tell Laura I said hi.”

“Will do, love ya Dani see you Monday.”

“Love you too Jake, bye,” I hung up my phone and tried to fall back asleep, but was unsuccessful. I got up and walked into my parent’s room. I found my mom in front of her vanity doing some last minute packing.

“Oh honey you’re up, good. I was hoping I would get to say goodbye to you I’m just about to leave.” I walked over to my mom and gave her a long hug. I was going to miss her. Every summer since my freshman year my parents went on a vacation just the two of them. Leaving Jake and I to take care of each other. I followed her down the stairs to the front door. “Bye Dani, love you have a great summer.”

“Bye mom,” I said as she walked out of the house. I shut the door quickly trying to escape the cool wind that was making its way into the house, and then walked back to my room to change into something warmer.

************************************************************************************************

I was in my comfiest pair of yoga pants and Jake’s U of I sweatshirt trying to French braid my hair while laying on the couch when Patrick walked in. “Do you always walk into people’s houses at 7:30 in the morning?” I asked nonchalantly.

“Actually I was hoping to get some breakfast.” Patrick responded.

“Oh, that’s only on Saturdays,” I told him.

“What are you doing?” Patrick asked as he took a seat of the couch near my feet.

“Trying to French braid my hair, but it’s not working out too well because I’m to lazy to sit up.” Finally giving up I let go of my hair and sat up and looked at Patrick. His curly hair was all over the place causing my to laugh. “Nice bed head,” I commented.

“I could say the same to you.”

“At least I tried to fix mine,” I retorted. Patrick turned so his whole body was facing me.

“Want me to braid you hair?” He asked softly. I turned toward Patrick and gave him a look of disbelief. He answered my question before I could even ask. “I have three younger sisters.”

“Oh,” was my brilliant response as I handed him my hairbrush. “Tell me about them.” Patrick described his sisters and told me stories of when they were younger. They made me smile because he sounded just as protective of his sisters as Jake was with me. When Patrick was finished braiding my hair, he pulled me toward him so my back was against his chest and laid his head on top on mine. I breathed out a small sigh, I felt so comfortable and safe around Patrick. After a few minutes I dozed off catching up on the sleep I had lost earlier this morning because of Jake.

A few hours later my eyes fluttered open. My first thought was food it seemed like forever since the last time I ate. I tried to get up, but a pair of arms pulled me back. I noticed SportsNet was on TV. Was Patrick still here? I was so comfortable lying on top of him that I thought he was the couch. Wow I’m such an idiot.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He whispered into my ear.

“To get something to eat. Aren’t you starving?” I asked.

“Yeah, but I’m pretty content here.” I tried to wriggle out of his grasp.

“Patrickkkk,” I was getting aggravated. “Please I really want to eat something.” I began to pry his hands off my stomach and it actually seemed to be working. That is until his hands moved straight to each side of my torso and tickle me. A high-pitched scream escaped my lips and I began to laugh uncontrollably. “Pat…rick…please…stop….” I yelled between giggles.

“What was that Dani, you’re laughing so hard I can’t understand you,” Patrick replied in a teasing tone. I could feel my face turning red. Patrick continued to tickle me until I had tears sliding down my face. When he stopped I sat up gasping for air. I turned around to face him and of course there was a smirk plastered on his face.

I looked him straight in the eyes and said, “Don’t ever do that again I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen.”

“I can’t guarantee that. Besides I won’t let you die and if you were about to die I would save you.” He told me. I dropped my gaze from his because I could feel myself blushing. Maybe I did have a chance with Patrick, it sounded like he really does care about me. Unable to decide what to do next I grabbed Patrick’s hand and headed to the kitchen.

“What do you want to eat?” I asked.

“I’m fine with whatever.” I glanced over at the clock on the microwave 11:23.

“Well, its too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. How about nachos?” I suggested.

“Yeah that sounds good.” I got the some cheese and leftover chicken out of the fridge. Then headed to the pantry for some Tostitos. I walked over to the island where Patrick was. He started spreading the Tostitos all over the plate. I began to sprinkle cheese on each chip. “Do you really put cheese on each separate chip?” Patrick asked.

“Well yeah I want nachos not plain Tostitos,” I answered. Patrick just shook his head and mutter what sounds like ridiculous under his breath. I grabbed the plate away from him and headed towards the microwave. A few minutes later the microwave beeped and I brought the nachos to the table. I sat down next to Patrick and began to eat. Out of the blue Patrick asked, “What’s your favorite color?”

“Purple, you?”

“Green,” He replied. “What’s your favorite animal?”

“What is this 20 questions?” I razzed him. He gave me a mischievous grin.

“Yup.”

I shook my head, “You’re such a dork Patrick.” I said with a smile.

“Hmm let’s see favorite animal…I would have to say a dog.”

“So is mine,” Patrick said.

“How many teeth have you lost playing hockey?” I mentally kicked myself for that one. It was clear he hadn’t lost any…I mean look at his smile, its gorgeous.

“Two,”

“You’re smile is perfect, there’s no way you could be missing two teeth.” Immediately I could feel my cheeks redden. Patrick only smirked at me.
“Next question!” Patrick announced to me. “Favorite music artist?”

“Definitively Train. They are amazing!”

“What’s you’re favorite song by them?”

“I like Parachute and Half Moon Bay.” I looked up at Patrick.

“Who’s you favorite artist?”

“Eminem.” I made a face at his response.

“Eminem, seriously?”

“What’s so bad about Eminem? Have you even heard him? He’s amazing at rapping.”

“Well that’s why he’s a rapper.” I put emphasis on rapper. We looked at each other and started cracking up. “Wow that sounded so stupid,” I managed to stay between laughs.

“Ya think?” Patrick managed to say once we had composed ourselves. It was perfect timing too because Pat’s phone started ringing. With a quick glance at the caller ID he answered it.

“Hey Tazer, what’s up?” I looked out the window and zoned out for a bit, but caught the ending of their conversation. “Yeah, it must have slipped my mind. I’ll be there soon,” Patrick said then hung up. I looked up at him wondering what he forgot about. “Hey, I got to got. I was supposed to meet Tazer at the rink at 11…he’s a bit pissed that I forgot. I’ll see you tomorrow though,” He said as I walked him to the door.

“Yeah, have any ideas on what we’re doing?” I knew Patrick was the only one I would be able to get to tell me about what we were doing to tomorrow, but he just looked at me and smiled.

“If I knew I would tell you.” He said as he pulled me into a quick hug. Then kissed the top of my head. “See you tomorrow Dani,” Patrick said as he ran out the door to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? suggestions? feedback????