Close Your Eyes

One

I smelt warm jasmine as I walked up to her front door, counting the three steps up it took to get there. I sucked in a deep breath before knocking on the door. I heard chatter from inside before the lock clicked open and the door was gently opened. I could almost hear her smiling as she leaned forward and wrapped her thin arms around my waist in a hug. I engulfed her small frames with my large arms, leaning my head down to smell her hair. She had curled her hair, and the hair spray in her hair overpowered her usual smell of lollipops and bubblegum.

“Hey there,” She said, not letting go of me.

“You look beautiful,” I told her as she giggled and stepped away from me.

“How can you tell?” She asked, twirling around in her dress.

“Because you always look beautiful, and I know tonight you probably look twice as nice,” I said to her, realizing she was probably blushing by the way she was fiddling with her dangly earrings. I felt for her arms and pulled one down, taking the corsage in my other hand out of its container and slipping it on her arm. We looked at each other for a moment, a big smile on my face.

“We better get going if we’re going to get there on time,” She said, linking our arms together as she led us down the stairs and over to her car. She stumbled over her high heels, and I caught her by her waist to steady her.

“I think I’m going to be the one leading you around tonight,” I joked. I heard her stick her tongue out at me as I grabbed her hand.

“I think I’m still capable of walking by myself,” she said, squeezing my hand as we headed over to the car.

“As long as you don’t run us into another garbage can.”

“That was one time when I first met you. I’ve gotten a lot of practice in since then,” She retorted. I went over to the passenger side, feeling the cold metal of the handle as she unlocked the car. I hopped inside, fastening my seatbelt as she started the engine.

“Don’t worry, I don’t doubt your amazing leading skills,” I chuckled, automatically reaching over to her radio and switching it on, turning up the volume slightly. The car ride was silent for a few minutes, and I could hear her humming under her breath. The first time I met her, she was humming. It was in the middle of history class freshman year. I was afraid to talk to anyone, but when I heard the familiar song, I just had to compliment her on her great taste in music. She told me that the remake of the song was better, and we debated for a few minutes until I gave up and told her she was right. She was my little know-it-all, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.