Close Your Eyes

Three

As we ate and chatted nonchalantly with our friends about classmates and college, my mind kept going back to the color of her eyes. I wanted to figure it out. Were they like blue birds, darting from one tree to another? Like the sky, crisp and wide open? I felt like I couldn’t pin point them as one specific thing. While I was eating, I forgot that I had put my cup of water near the edge of the table, so it was a surprise when I moved my arm and it landed in my lap. While the other kids at the table laughed, she grabbed her napkin and helped me dry myself off. I felt like a fool, cursing my own hands for making myself look like an idiot in front of her.

“It’s okay, I like guys that are wet,” She joked to me. I laughed, making sure my pants were as dry as I could make them before relaxing back in my seat. The music began pounding through the speakers, and I knew it was time to dance. She grabbed me by my hands and lifted me up. She led me over to the dance floor, where I swayed a bit to the beat. I heard her as she giggled with her friends as they danced together. Were her blue eyes like blue lasers, cutting through everything and darting around the dance floor? The song which seemed to last forever changed into another fast paced song. That song changed into a pop song that suddenly changed to a slow song.

She wrapped one arm around my side as I took her other hand into mine. I put my other hand onto her waist as I began to lead her in a slow dance. This was the moment I wanted the most. I just wanted to hold her and be the one to lead her. I wanted to treat her with the kindness she had treated me with. I wanted to be the only guy she danced with, which was finally happening.

“Are you having fun?” She asked me, pulling me closer to her.

“More than you would even know,” I said, her head falling onto my chest. I knew her eyes were closed as she listened to my fast heartbeat. My mind drifted back over the years and over everything that I loved about her.

Then, I realized what her eyes looked like.