Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Prelude

Jack’s POV

Middle School had dragged on slowly. As had freshman and sophomore year; why was Junior year going to be any different? Was anything going to change? Was I going to change; or was I going to be the same boring Jack Bassam Barakat until the day I died? Alright, so I’m not exactly boring. Yes, I play the guitar and I’m known for my funky chicken and running man dance moves at the random parties that older kids would throw but that’s it. I’m not boring, but I’m not overly exciting either.
I was bullied all the way through middle school. My nose is too big, I’m “too skinny,” my pants are too tight etc. The bullies would come up with a different excuse everyday for two years to beat me up for. I would go home with a new bruise every day. I guess I had become immune to it; I just didn’t feel the pain anymore.

I peered through the grime covered window and pulled a face. I spied the school coming up on my right. I sniffed in disgust and coughed quietly. The old yellow school bus smelled the same as it did the last two years; gas, vomit and b.o. It obviously made the bus ride all that more fun in the mornings and afternoons. Notice my sarcasm, please. The bus slowed to a stop outside; the bus driver hitting the same bit of curb as he always did. I jolted forward as he hit the bump and cursed under my breath at his inability to drive properly. Not that I would know how to drive either; I don’t have my license. But I could guarantee I could drive better than this douche bag. I stood up and followed the girl who was sitting beside me off the bus. I stepped off and up onto the pavement. I stopped and stared at hell; also known as Dulany High School. I frowned. Must I go in there for another two years of my life? Must I endure it until graduation? I sighed. I knew the only possible answer to come from this was yes. There was no way that my parents would let me just drop out of High School.

”Get an education first; then we’ll talk about your future.

It was always the same. I guess you could say that my parents didn’t understand me. They just didn’t get what I was putting up with at school, not that I would tell them if they asked. They didn’t understand why my grades were awful; I didn’t understand half the shit they taught in Spanish, I hated poetry and I didn’t see the point in maths. They also didn’t understand why I didn’t have more friends or a girlfriend for that matter. They just didn’t get me. That's was so very stereotypical sixteen year old banter. I apologize.

With one more sigh and a flick of my fringe from in front of my eyes, I made my way to the front doors of the school; stepping over the horizon clutching my folder to my chest. I took a few steps and glanced up and around the corridor. Students already lined the lockers; and some moved in between in small groups. I smiled slightly when I saw my two best mates; Rian Dawson and Zack Merrick at the other end of the corridor standing and talking by our lockers.

“What are you smiling at, Jack-off?”

I heard a sneer and I was shoved from behind; sent flying forward and landing face first on the tiles of the corridor. I sighed and lifted my head; looking out to the people in the corridor through my dark fringe. They all stood having their conversations. They didn’t notice; only Zack and Rian had turned to face me. I rolled my eyes and sighed; bringing my palms to the floor and pushing myself up onto my knees. I knelt and grabbed my folder as well as the few papers that had fallen out. I got to my feet and looked up at my usual bully; Chris Stanley. Asshole. They turned away from me and made their way further down the corridor; shoving obvious freshman out of their way. I looked up and found Zack waving me over. I shook my head slowly. There was no way I was dealing with this shit for another year. I backed away from the crowd slowly and smacked into someone completely knocking them down. I nearly lost my balance; grabbing hold of the door frame to stop me from falling on top of them.

“Hey, watch it would you?” a voice yelled from the ground; a thick English accent making me turn around.

I stared down at the boy on the ground. He sat up; one hand resting on the concrete of the steps and the other moving his fringe out of his face. His light brown hair was covered by a black beanie that looked too big for his head and a black and white checked cotton scarf hung loosely around his neck. He wore a leather jacket and what looked to be a grey sweater; the ends of the sleeves stuck out from the end of the jacket. His jeans were rolled up at the end and blue boat shoes donned his feet. He adjusted his beanie on his head and looked up at me; frowning when he found me staring.

“Oh, um, I’m so sorry,” I cleared my throat and held out my hand to him.

He slid his into mine and I pulled him up to his feet; bending down to pick up the black notebook that lay open on the step beside him. I snapped it closed when I picked it up; not wanting to invade his privacy. With a slight smile on my face, I held out the notebook to him.

“Thanks,” he said; chewing the right side of his bottom lip and took the book from me.

“No sweat,” I shrugged.

He looked up at me again; confusion written on his face.

“It means no problem, you’re welcome,” I explained; slightly amused by his ignorance towards a phrase I used all the time.

“Oh,” he broke eye contact. “Can you point me in the direction of the office please?”

“Are you new?” I asked him.

’No duh, Barakat! Have you seen him before? No! Seriously! You’re an idiot.’

“Yeah,” he nodded. “The office? It’s the least you can do, given that you knocked me down.”

“Alright,” I blushed and turned back to the corridor. I pointed. “Just follow this corridor all the way to the end; take the doorway on the right and it’s the first door on the left. You can’t miss it.”

“Thanks,” he murmured and scuttled away quickly; his notebook tucked under his arm.

He got about half way down the hall before the realization hit me.

“Wait! I didn’t catch your name!” I called after him.

But he didn’t turn around; he kept walking. I didn’t know whether it was because he couldn’t hear me or he just chose to ignore me. But I knew one thing was for sure; this year definitely was going to be a lot different.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first chapter of my Jalex fan fiction.
Please let me know what you think; your thoughts are very important to me.
Comments?
:)
word count; 1237 words