Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

The Beach

Jack’s POV

The afternoon had flown by; the sky turning a deep orange as the sun slowly went down. We had only just got out of the water; frantically drying ourselves when the wind picked up. The breeze was absolutely freezing on our still damp skin. I shoved my towel in my bag and picked up my t-shirt; desperate to put something on my bare torso.

“Shit!” Alex explained from his position kneeling beside me. He was digging through his bag.

“Whats wrong?” I asked him.

“I think I lost my shirt,” he complained; not looking up.

He groaned and stood up; hands on his hips and an adorable frown on his face. I looked from Alex, to my shirt in my hands and back again. I smiled to myself.

“Here, wear mine,” I offered; holding it out to him.

"But, what will you wear?” he asked me.

“I’ve got my hoodie,” I shrugged. “I’m good.”

“Oh,” he smiled slightly. “Alright. Thanks Jack.”

“No sweat,” I smiled at him and picked up my hoodie; slipping my arms into the sleeves.

I watched Alex as he pulled the t-shirt over his head and down onto his torso; sticking his arms through the sleeves. He smiled at me.

“Very nice,” I told him.

We finished shoving our stuff in our bags. Alex finished first; throwing things in untidily and grumbling about losing a shirt he had only bought the other day. He walked away from me a little; turned to face the sea and crossing his arms across his chest. I stood up properly; walking towards him. I heard him sigh contently and I smiled. I stepped beside him; copying his action. I nudged him gently with my elbow.

“It’s so beautiful,” he said quietly; his face focused on the sunset.

I looked out at it myself. The sky was a deep orange; the ocean a deep blue almost black in reflection. The cloud that ran along the horizon were purple and mauve; they seemed to have a literal silver lining. I smiled and glanced over at Alex who stood beside me. He had a slight smile on his face; the breeze blowing his hair back off his face a little. The sunset was making his skin glow and I smiled wider. He, and I hate myself for thinking this, is a lot prettier than any sunset. That face, the smile; his brown eyes. Not to mention that body; the soft skin on his back, the curve of his spine, his shoulder blades. His slim hips, long legs and strong shoulders. But what draws me to him most was his heart; that warmth even though he’s had so much loss in his life. That warmth that let me in. That warmth that was brave enough to trust me and trusted me enough to tell me his story, tell me about his brother and trust me with something so huge. I guess privileged would be the right word. Alex shivered; rubbing the tops of his arms with his hands. I smiled a little and slowly unzipped my hoodie.

‘Come here,” I said to Alex softly; holding open my hoodie.

I instantly knew why he was cold. The breeze hitting my chest like I was diving into an ice cold pool. Alex pulled a face; looking at me unsurely. I tilted my head; smiling at him. He stepped loser to me; tucking his arms in between his chest and mine and resting his head on my shoulder. I pulled the hoodie closed around his back; my hands in the pockets and folded in the small of his back. I rested my cheek on top of his head; his hair smelled of the salt from the ocean.

“Wrap your arms around,” I instructed and Alex stepped back; wrapping his arms around my waist on the outside of my jacket.

“Lex, on the inside you doofus,” I half laughed at him.

He moved again; slipping his arms into my hoodie. He grazed his fingers against the skin on my sides and round to my back; locking his fingers together in the small of my back. His cold touch gave me goosebumps. He rested his head on my shoulder again; looking out at the ocean. I lay my head on his; watching the low tide roll into the beach. I smiled at the moment, at the contact, at whatever is was that Alex and I were sharing right now. He snuggled in closer to me. I felt his hips against mine and the fabric of the t-shirt against my bare chest. I smiled; inhaling the salty scent of his hair again; a few stray hairs tickling my nose.

“Thank you,” he whispered against my chest.

‘You’re welcome,” I responded; smiling again.

This boy had made me smile more in the last few days that I remember smiling the whole summer break. He made me happy. Alex made me really happy. No one made me feel the way he does. No one.

“Um, Alex?” I said quietly.

“Yeah Jack?” he replied; his breath across my chest.

“About earlier, in the ocean, when we were swimming,” I bit my lip.

Alex shifted in my arms; looking up at me with those big, beautiful brown eyes. They were warm, thoughtful and curious.

“What about it?” he asked; a small smile forming on his lips.

I looked down to him; his eyes boring into mine. He had a certain cheekiness to the small smile; his eyes sparkling and mischievous. I licked my lips nervously and leaned down a little. Alex moved his hand further up my back; one up higher then the other. I held him against me as we moved into to each other. I slipped my eyes closed. What'd I have to lose by kissing him right now? I felt his nose touch mine softly and I knew I was getting close. He exhaled through his nose; the breath tickling my lips. Our lips brushed ever so gently; I felt the slightly softness against mine.

Someone near by cleared their throat and Alex and I flew apart. My face was red with a blush and suddenly embarrassed froM being busted again. I was also annoyed for being interrupted again. I looked to the accused; finding Zack standing with his arms crossed, his head cocked to the side and the most confused expression on his face I had ever seen wear.

“Um, it’s time to go,” he told us; running his fingers through the mass of curls that adorned his head. “Rian’s in the jeep. He said something about wanting to beat the rush hour traffic.”

“Oh alright,” I replied; avoiding his eyes. “We’re coming.”

Zack turned and walked away quickly and I looked at Alex. He stood about a foot away from me; his face scarlet and he was looking at the sand. He was obviously embarrassed too. I stepped closer and slipped my hand into his; holding onto it loosely. He looked up at me when I rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb.

“It’s alright,” I assured him. “Zack won’t say anything.”

Alex’s POV

Jack was sweet. Jack’s nice. Jack is all heart in the body of a joker. Jack is pretty much perfect in every way. So why am I having such a hard time confessing to myself that I like him? That I feel so strongly about him. Is it because I’ve only known him for a few days? No, that’s not it. Is it because he’s a guy? No, I’m not fond of only one gender in particular. Is it because I’m afraid that he truely cares about me? Yes. Is it because I’m afraid that if I let myself fall for him, fall for someone who so obviously cares deeply for me, that he will walk away and leave me alone; leave me broken? Definitely.

I felt bad. Here was Jack, reassuring me that Zack would keep what almost happened to himself when that isn’t even the problem. His hand was warm, comforting. It was soft against mine and strong despite his thin frame. I loved the feeling that Jack produced in me; a feeling that told me I was safe no matter what because Jack was there. Why can’t I just let myself fall? Why can't I just fall into Jack so easily and follow my heart?

I closed my eyes for a second. Jack tugged on my hand and we walked to pick up our bags. We made our way to Rian’s jeep and I let go of Jack’s hand as we got closer. I felt Jack look at me as I did but I kept my eyes trained on the gravel beneath my feet. I walked around to the side of the jeep I sat in on the way here and opened the door silently. Jack climbed in beside me and we closed the doors at the same time.

“Thank you for joining us,” Rian told us. “Alex gets dropped off first right?”

I went to answer; Jack cutting me off.

“Nope. Straight to my house,” Jack told him. “Lex is staying with me tonight.”

Zack whipped around to look at Jack; his face knowing. I looked at Jack myself; confused by this sudden invitation, but then it hit me; at his house, in his bedroom, we couldn’t be interrupted. We could kiss and nothing would stop us. I felt suddenly nervous. Butterflies took flight in my stomach. I looked at my hands.

“Alright,” I mumbled. “I’ll have to call my mum and let her know though.”

“That’s cool,” Jack beamed.

I felt guilty. He wanted this so badly and I just wasn't sure.

“Jack’s it is,” Rian agreed; reversing out of the parking spot and pointing in direction of home.

We drove for what felt like forever. It was completely dark and freezing. The lack of a top of this car was definitely not a positive right now. I shivered and sunk down into my chair more, hating myself for not bringing a jacket or something. Jack pulled an arm free of his hoodie that was still undone. How was he not freezing? He held it away from his body and I slid across the back seat; sitting close Jack and holding the hoodie as far around me as it would go. I smiled a thanks to Jack and lay my head on his shoulder; suddenly feeling that safe feeling again.

We pulled up outside Jack’s house and I reluctantly left the warmth of his side. I slid back to my side, picking up my bag and opening the door. Jack jumped out over the door and grabbed his bag.

“We’ll see you guys later,” Jack told them.

“Alright guys,” Zack grinned.

“See ya tomorrow!” Rian called a he uturned and drove away down the street.

I followed Jack up his pathway and to the front door. He slid the key in and turned it; pushing the door open and shoving me through. He stepped in beside me; closing the door.

“Jack! Is that you honey?” a female voice called.

“Yeah, mum! It’s me!” he called back to her.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me through to the living room. There were two girls kneeling beside the coffee table playing a board game and a woman sitting in an arm chair reading a book.

“How was the... oh! Who’s this?” she smiled; warmly and stood up to greet me.

"This is Alex,” Jack smiled. ”The guy I told you about the other day.”

“Oh! Well, it’s lovely to meet you Alex,” his mum smiled.

“You’re Jacks friend?” one of the girls said loudly.

‘Yes,” I replied.

“Really?” she asked.

“Yes, Alex is my friend,” Jack frowned. “This is Mae and Leeyh; my sisters.”

“You’re too cute to be Alex’s friend,” Mae stood up.

“Mae!” Jack protested. “Stop flirting with Alex alright? We’re going to bed.”

"Goodnight love,” his mum smiled.

Mae winked at me and Jack sighed; grabbed my wrist gently and pulling me through the doorway and down the hall way. We entered the room at the end of the hall and it was so obvious it was Jack’s room. There were a few posters on the walls; mainly of Blink 182 and Jimmy Eat World. It was as if a clothes bomb had exploded on the floor and the desk. The only thing that was completely clear was the bed in middle of the room. I smiled.

“Sorry about the mess,” Jack said; quickly running around the room and picking up the scattered clothes and dumping them in a single pile by the foot at the bed.

“It’s alright,” I told him; still smiling.

“Um, do you want to take a shower?” Jack asked.

“Probably be a good idea,” I agreed, “We have school tomorrow.”

"Shit, I forgot about that!” Jack frowned. “But yeah. In that case.”

“Yeah,” I agreed.

I transferred my gaze to the carpet of Jack’s room. I felt the nervousness creep up on me; suddenly unsure again. I chewed my lip. I saw Jack’s hand move from the corner of my eye, he held it up; sliding it onto my cheek. I leaned in to the touch; breathing deeply once.

“What’s up?” Jack asked me in a soft voice.

“Nothing,” I smiled at him.

His brown eyes were soft, warm and reassuring.

“Good,” he smiled back; leaning in as he had twice before today.

I felt his breath again; just as warm as before. Fuck. What was wrong with me? Why didn’t I want this?

“Jack wait,” I said; as his lips touched mine in the slightest way.

‘What?” he looked at me; his face scared as if he’d done something wrong. “What’s wrong?”

“I just, I don’t think I'm ready for this,” I explained.

I looked Jack in the eye. I expected a frustrated look or at least a disappointed one. Instead a small smile appeared on Jack’s lips. I smiled slightly in return.

“It’s alright,” he whispered. “I’ll wait for you.”

I smiled; falsely. That didn’t make me feel any less guilty.

“Shower?” I said softly; desperate to change the topic.

“Yes, right,” Jack said. “Um, bathrooms just out there on the left. There’s towels in the cupboard int here.”

“I need something to put on,” I bit my lip.

“Oh,” Jack laughed. He moved to a chest of draws and pulled out a pair of boxer shorts, a pair of pajama pants and a white v-neck t-shirt. He walked back to me; a smile on his face. “There you go. Oh and keep the shirt. To replace the one you lost today.”

“Thanks Jack,” I smiled and moved towards the door.

“Wait,” Jack stopped me.

I stopped; turning slowly back to him.

“What for?” I asked.

Jack walked over to me, lifted a hand and used it to turn my head slightly. He leaned in, pressing a soft kiss to my cheek. I blushed and smiled ever so slightly.

“Now you can go,” Jack grinned. “I’m going to make some noodles. You want?”

“That’d be great,” I responded and turned away again; making it to the bathroom and closing the door.

I leaned against and took a deep breath. Who would’ve thought I simple kiss on the cheek would leave me so breathless?
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you thank you thank you and a million times thank you for all the new subscribers.
(there were 21 of you)
and for the whole heap of people who commented!
here's an update for ya'll.
Please keep it up; give me ideas, things you want to happen!