Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Interlude

Alex’s POV

It’d had been sort of awkward between Jack and I all day. And when I say sort of awkward, I mean a hell of a lot of awkward. In English; we just sat there; Jack’s arm around my shoulder and my head on his shoulder. Ms Coleman had come in and asked if I was alright. I lied; saying I wasn’t feeling well. She excused me from class; Jack following me into the hall way. He pulled me into the empty assembly hall and we sat on the floor in silence; resuming our position from earlier in the semester.

I was glad to have second period as a free and away from Jack just to gather my thoughts. I knew why I broke up with Holly; despite the fact that I had hurt her. I felt sympathetic and guilty for using her like I did. But I also came to the realization that being with Holly didn’t make me think of Jack any less. In fact, it made me think of him even more. When Holly would take my hand ever so softly I would try and imagine that it was jack. Jack with his warm hands, soft skin and slightly calloused finger tips from his guitar. I would look up to the person and feel instantly disappointed that it was Holly standing there.

We would sit together at a lunch table; sometimes with Holly’s friends and sometimes with mine. When I wasn’t sitting with Jack and the guys I would make sure I would sit in a seat where I could at least see him; see him sitting there. He always wore a frown. I hadn't seen him smile since this whole Holly thing had started, which made me feel guilty. I didn’t want to me to blame for Jack being unhappy. I would find myself staring at Jack when we did sit with the guys; Holly sat talking into my ear but I wasn't paying attention about 99% of the time. I was focused on Jack; watching him push his peas around the plastic plate, watching him sit and talk to Zack about something from maths or discuss something about music with Rian. Occasionally he would look at me and catch me staring; shaking his head at me with a smirk on his face. That would snap me out of it; quit the staring and I would turn back to Holly’s nonsense.

In P.E I would watch him. I would watch him do everything; hit a ball, catch something or try to smack the ball with a bat; once letting it fly accidentally and it smacked Coach Reynolds on the back, knocking him flat on his face. I watched him as he got changed; trying not to make it obvious that I was staring at him.

I would walk home alone; not brave enough to catch the bus with him. I would think about him the whole way home as Blink 182 blasted into my ears. I smiled slightly, because their music reminded me of him constantly. It makes me sound like some sort of creepy stalker to say that i was staring at him all the time; checking him out on a daily basis.but i guess you could say that i couldn't help it.

I also dreamed about him; dreamed about kissing him, swinging on swings with him, dancing around a park an holding his hand in the school hallway.

I thought about him more when I was dating Holly then before I had started so I knew I had to break things off with her. It wasn't fair on Holly and it wasn't fair on me. But most of all, it wasn't fair on Jack. I was feeling more strongly for Jack; watching the pouts, watching the frowns and disappointment that I was dating Holly. I guess one thing positive came from being with Holly and that was it proved to me that what Jack felt for me was strong. It also proved to me that, as much as I wanted to fight it and as confused as it made me, I was falling for Jack. I was falling for him hard and fast and there was nothing I could do about it. And truth be told, I couldn’t give a flying fuck. I wanted to fall, I wanted to date him, hold his hand and kiss him with everything I have.

It’s just getting the words out that's the problem.

We were currently sitting at a table in the cafeteria; Zack, Jack and i. Jack sat across from me and Zack beside him. I had my back in the direction of Holly. I really couldn't handle the sadness in her eyes. I glanced up at Jack. He frowned as he pulled the crust of his sandwich and squeezing it in between his fingers until I became a pile of crumbs on the table. I smiled slightly at his actions. He was cute. And he was dressed cute today too.

He had his signature skinny jeans on; but instead of black they were a dark blue. He had on a light blue vneck t-shirt under his black leather jacket; which hung on the back of his chair currently. His hair was done again but instead of straightened flat it sort of stuck up everywhere. In a weird way, the messiness of it almost looked tidy.

The table was silent. Zack pulled his phone from his pocket and fiddled with it for a moment before putting it down on the table; spinning it around in circles. He cleared his throat.

“Well, this is awkward,” he said to nobody in particular.

“Mhm,’ Jack hummed; continuing to squish the crust between his fingers.

“Dude, you’re making a mess,” Rian’s voice came from behind me.

I jumped a little. I didn’t know he was approaching.

“Oh thank god you’re here.” Zack sighed in relief.

Rain stopped and glanced over at me, to Jack and back at Zack.

“Um why?” he asked.

“It’s been awkward as hell man,” Zack explained. “Don't know whats up with these two. But, I haven’t gotten anything but a hum from this one.”

He nudged Jack and Jack looked up form his pile of crumbs; shrugging.

“Oh,” Rian slid into the chair beside me. “I’ve got some news.”

“What sort of news?” Zack queried; clearly thankful that Rian was here to talk to.

I looked up at Jack and surprisingly, his eyes were on me. I smiled lightly; Jack immediately averting his eyes to Rian. Rian leaned forward on the table, gesturing for us all to so the same. We all leaned forward.

“I heard, some seniors are having a party on Saturday,” Rian grinned.

“And?” Zack told him.

“Apparently, booze is provided,” Rian told us.

This wasn’t a selling point. I had never tried alcohol and I didn’t plan to.

“Are we even invited?” Zack asked Rian; sitting up slightly.

“Who cares if we’re not?” Rian shrugged. “There’ll be so many people there I don’t think he’s notice if we rocked up.”

“True,” Zack finally agreed.

“So, are we in?” Rian pointed to Zack.

“I’m in,” Zack shrugged..

Rian pointed to Jack.

“Yeah. A party’s a party,” he smiled a little. “I'm in.”

“How about you, Alex?” he asked me; budging me with his elbow.

I looked up at Jack and he looked at me; hope in his eyes and a slight smile on that goofy but adorable face. How cold I say no to something as cute as that?

“Sure,” I smiled. “I’m in.”

Rian rubbed his hands together; a grin on his face.

“Excellent.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for prattling on but i wanted you all to know how Alex was thinking and feeling during his 'time' with Holly.
If it's an info overload I'm sorry. there's excitement coming up, clearly. there's a party.
but yeah, trying not to ramble.
i hope you enjoyed this chapter, theres more coming soon.
comments are love. :)