Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

The Party Scene

Jack;s POV

Alex smiled at me; pushing his fringe to the side of his face. I saw a little nervousness in his eyes. But I was glad he overcame it to come talk to me.

“Hey,” I smiled.

Alex looked amazing; hot even. He had on his black beanie. It sat loosely on his head. He wore a white button up with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. The shirt was untucked and hung loosely around his torso. With the shirt, he had a black skinny tie which hung around his neck; stopping around his belly button. He had on those sexy skinny jeans I loved so much and his converses; that weren’t as clean as the first time he wore them. I leaned close to him. He watched me with alarm in his eyes.

“You look pretty hot,” I whispered in his ear; before pulling back to a safe distance.

“Thank you,” he blushed and smiled. “You look pretty good yourself.”

“Thanks,” I replied.

We fell into an awkward silence. Not really a silence really; given that the horrible music was continuing around us.

“Jack?” Alex said.

“Hm?”

“Can we, talk?” Alex asked me. “Maybe outside; so we can actually hear each other.”

“Of course,” I responded.

He lead the way back through the small crowd that was gathered in the hallway. Alex pushed his way through the people coming through the front door and I followed him through the gap, thankful to be away from the music and the already large crowd. Alex inhaled deeply before plonking himself down onto the grass of the guys lawn. I followed him down; sitting close. We sat quietly for a moment and I turned my head to look at him. I pulled my knees up in front of me; hooking my arms around them. Alex crossed his legs and toyed with the end of his shoelace.

“So, um,” I started; trying to make it less awkward. “What did you want to talk about?”

Alex turned to look at me; his body almost all the way around. He looked thoughtful and I relaxed; crossing my legs as he had. I smiled at him again; ushering him to tell me.

“Well, first of all I want to say sorry,” he told me softly.

“What?” i asked. What did he have to apologize for?

“I’m sorry,” he repeated.

“Yeah,” I shook my head. “I heard you. But, what are you apologizing for?”

“For going out with Holly,” he slowly looked up; his eyes meeting mine.

“Oh,” I said. “You don’t have to apologize for that.”

“Yes, I do,” he told me.

“But, why?” I asked.

“Because, of the reason I went out with her,” he answered slowly.

“Which was?”

“I went out with Holly as a distraction.”

“From?”

“You.”

I stared at him. What? Why did he need to be...? I was confused.

“Wait? Why’d you need a distraction from me?” I scratched my head. “Did I do something? Like. I, don’t get it.”

“I didn’t really need a distraction from you as a person, per say,” Alex explained; chewing his lip. “I needed a distraction from what I was feeling for you.”

“Oh?” I smiled slightly; tempted to smirk at him. “Which was?”

“I was really confused,” he frowned. “And scared; to be honest.”

“Why were you scared of me?”

I was shocked. This didn’t make sense. Why was he afraid of me? What would I do that would scare him?

“I was scared of getting hurt,” he whispered; looking down. “I was scared that if I let myself fall for you, that you would leave me.”

“That’s..” I started, but he cut me off.

“Stupid, I know,” he sighed.

“I wasn’t going to say stupid,” I shook my head. “Its normal. Like, you don’t really know me very well. You don’t know that much about me. I would be scared too.”

“Why aren’t you?” he looked up to my face. “Why aren't you scared? The same things apply to you. You don't know me, you don’t know much about me. Why aren’t you scared that you’re falling for a guy that you only just met?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “I guess, I just don’t really care.”

“Oh,” he looked taken aback.

“No no! Nothing like that,” I sighed. “What I meant was; I know somethings about you. But, being in a relationship with you, if that's what you want. I don’t know; I’d learn more about you then. I don’t need to know everything to fall hard for someone Lex. And I guess, you’re no exception.”

“I'm the opposite,” he confessed. “I like knowing a lot about someone before, you know, dating them. with Holly it was just to try and get my mind off you. Which didn’t work by the way; I was just thinking about you more. But, I feel more secure if I know someone.”

“Oh,” I said; crestfallen.

I glanced down; picking at some of the blades of grass. He wasn’t going to try it. He didn’t want to try it. He didn’t know me and didn’t trust me with his heart. I exhaled; sadly. I saw Alex’s hand move from the corner of my eye. He reached for my hand, sliding his into it and lacing our fingers together. I squeezed it gently and looked up at him.; a questioning expression on my face.

“But for you Jack,” Alex smiled. “I guess you’re my exception.”

I smiled brightly at him. Excited, happy and warm.

“So, you want to try this out?” I asked him.

“Like maybe a trial?” he asked.

“Well, yeah. if you want,” I smiled; averting my eyes. “I, I really like you Lex. Like, like like.”

“Well, I like like you too, Jack,” Alex smiled.

We smiled awkwardly at each other before looking away. I felt myself blush. Alex rubbed circles in the inside of my hand with his thumb. I looked down at our hands and smiled. No one had held my hand like that in years. It was comforting, warm and I felt safe. Safe and happy.

“Do you wanna go back in? You know, get to each other?” I asked Alex; winking.

“Sure,” he smiled at me. “I heard you pull a mean funky chicken.”

“Who told you that?” I gaped at him.

“Rian,” Alex grinned; letting go of my hand and standing up.

He pulled me to my feet and i frowned.

“I'm kicking his ass,” I mumbled.

“Don’t,” Alex told me and slowly leaned into me; his arms around my waist. “I was trying to get to know you better.”

“You were?” I asked him; wrapping my arms around him too; shoving my hands into his back pockets.

“Yeah,” he smiled up at me.

“Well, I guess I've got a rep to protect,” I grinned.

“I guess so,” Alex laughed and loosened his grip on me.

He reached behind him and grabbed one of my hands. He pulled back up to the house and through the small crowd to the living room. I let go of his hand and cracked my knuckles; stretching a bit.

“Let’s do this,” I grinned at Alex and grooved my way like a moron onto the dance floor.

As the music filled my ears it was joined with a sound more beautiful and a lot more addictive; the sound of Alex’s laughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
See? There we go. That's much better then the one before it.
What'd you guys think?
Please let me know.
Commeeeeeeeents? :)