Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Circles

Jack’s POV

I plonked down heavily into my seat. English had always been such a drag. Unfortunately it was a compulsory subject, meaning I had to do it. I sucked at it. Sure; I knew how to read, I can write, I can spell and form sentences. But I’m dreadful at poetry and writing short stories. I knew poetry was on the syllabus for this year. I dropped my bag on the floor at my feet and rested my face on the desk; staring out the window to my left. I already hated school again and it was only five minutes into first period. I sighed and turned my head so my chin was resting on the desk. I stared at the blackboard as the teacher, Mrs. Coleman, wrote the title of the first topic across the top of it.

Short Stories

Thankfully I wasn’t the only one in the classroom to groan at this concept. Ms. Coleman simply clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes at our lack of commitment to the possibility of “broadening our minds through creative writing.” In my opinion it was a load of bullshit.

“Who can tell me some story genres?”

They started getting yelled out across the classroom.

“One at a time,” Mrs Coleman said; flustered already. “We’ll go around the room. We’ll start front left and snake our way back. Stephanie?”

“Drama,” Stephanie; a small blonde girl responded.

“Excellent,” Mrs. Coleman praised. “Let’s continue shall we.”

“Romance.”

“Science fiction or sci fi.”

“Comedy?”

When it came to my turn, I stayed silent. Mrs. Coleman turned around from the blackboard and walked towards my desk. She leaned on it with both palms flat against the surface.

“Well Mr Barakat?”

I slowly raised my eyes to hers with a glare.

“Murder mystery,” I answered flatly.

“Well done,” Mrs. Coleman told me. “And here’s me thinking you weren’t paying attention.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Can I go to the bathroom?” I asked. I was already tired of this shit. I would rather wander the halls for twenty minutes then endure this bullshit.

“Yes, yes. Take a pass,” Ms Coleman waved me off.

I stood up and raised the hood of my hoodie over my head. I sauntered over to the teachers desk and picked up the lime green pass that was meant for the bathroom. I stuffed it in my pocket along with my hands and trudged out of the classroom. Stepping over that border instantly gave me freedom. I inhaled the scent of the empty, dusty hallway and smiled to myself. I allowed my thoughts to wander back to the kid I had knocked down earlier. Of course I don’t blame him for being there; it was entirely my fault for not watching where I was going. He dressed so much different then I did. The rolled up jeans in comparison to my black skinny jeans. The grey sweater in comparison to my well warn Blink 182 band tee shirt. The black leather jacket in comparison to the old red hoodie I was wearing. The boat shoes over my converses. Even his hair looked done; the soft brown was so neatly sitting over his forehead. Meanwhile, I didn’t even brush my skunk hair this morning and I don’t remember the last time I washed it. He was so different to me. Don’t even get me started on that accent. It sounded British. Maybe he's usually sloppy as all hell. Maybe he was just trying to make an a good first impression; first day at a new school and all that. I guess I'll never know.

Trudging on through the abandoned halls, my feet were joined by another set of footsteps. I turned my head when my paranoia took over; thinking it was Chris Stanley coming for second round. Instead I spotted the boy from this morning. His head was down, hair in his face. I guessed he was trying to read the map that all new kids are given when they start here to help them find their way around. I remembered when Zack had started here half way through Freshman year. Rian had told him he was better off walking around completely blind and just guessing his classrooms rather than trying to distinguish the chicken scratch ‘directions’ on the map. I had agreed. I decided to cut this guy a break; help him out. I needed to get to know him. I slowed down; allowing him to catch up to me.

“Hey man,” I said to him.

His eyes snapped up at the statement.

“You scared me,” he breathed.

“My bad,” I smiled innocently.

“Mhm,” he mumbled.

“Do you need a hand?” I offered. I held my hand out for the map.

“Oh. Really?” he replied; excitedly. He handed me the map. “That’d be helpful.”

“Alright, tip one?” I started. I ripped the map in two.

I watched his face fall into shock.

“You won’t need it trust me,” I told him. “I got your back.”

“Um, thanks?”

“No sweat,” I shrugged. “Where’s your schedule?”

I watched as he dug through his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He handed it to me. I studied it; reading through the subjects and teachers.

“Alright, well, you’ve got music, Spanish, gym and English with me!” I told him. I looked up to find him watching me. “What?”

“Nothing,” he looked down.

“Okay then,” I frowned and went back to looking at the schedule. “You’ve got American History with my mate Rian. Dude! You take AP Chemistry?”

“Is there a problem?” he asked me.

“No,” I shook my head. “Are you some sort of egg head?”

“Some sort,” he smirked and snatched the schedule out of my hands. He scanned it. “Now. You said I have English with you yes?”

I nodded.

“We have that now,” he read the schedule. He looked up to me with questioning eyes. “Why aren’t you in class?”

“I hate English,” I shrugged. “Short stories. I told the teacher I was going to the bathroom.”

“Oh,” he frowned and stuck the schedule back into his pocket. “We should be off then.”

“I guess,” I shrugged again.

I started walking in the direction of the English classroom with him hot of my heals.

“Hey, I never did catch your name?” I turned around; walking backwards.

“I'm Alexander, or Alex Gaskarth,” he told me.

“Cool,” I grinned. “I’m Jack. Jack Barakat.”

I turned back around and he stepped up to walk beside me.

“Its nice to meet you Jack,” Alex told me.

“Likewise,” I smirked. “You don’t have to be so formal with me dude. We’re mates.”

“Mates? Really?” he sounded hopeful.

“Well yeah,” I shrugged. “Mates help each other out. I just helped you out. We’re mates.”

“Excellent,” he smiled. I looked at him, cocking an eyebrow. “I mean, awesome. Awesome.”

“That’s better,” I grinned at him. “Alright, here it is.”

I stepped up and turned the door knob and walked in; Alex followed slowly.

“Yo, Coleman!” I announced loudly. “We’ve got some fresh meat. I found him wandering the halls.”

I smacked Alex on the back and gripped his shoulder; steering him to the empty seat at my table. I pushed him down into the seat.

“Welcome dear,” Ms. Coleman smiled at Alex.

“This is Alex Gaskarth everyone,” I waved my hand around the class. No one cared.

Alex looked at the desk; a blush covering his cheeks and ears. I smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter. Sorry i kept you guys waiting.
Thank you so much to the 19 people who have subscribed so far. thank you for having faith in me.
Comments?
I'd like to know what you thought.
word count; 1266