Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

I Can't Do The One Two Step

Jack’s POV

“What do you mean I can’t go?” I gaped at my mum.

I had just sprung the new of the new years party at Zack’s on her; the day of the party of course. Actually it was supposed to start at 8. It was 5:30 now. Obviously I’d be going for a fashionably late entrance given that Zack’s house was about an hour maybe an hour and a half walk away. Plus I still had to get ready. I sighed. I knew I should have asked her earlier.

“Exactly that, Jack,” she replied curtly.

“But why?” I admittedly whined.

I wanted to go. It was a party, my best mates party. But more importantly, Alex would be there. Kissing him at midnight was all that I had been thinking of. The symbolism of that moment; that kiss. It would set the whole year off to an amazing start, set up resolutions. It was couples thing to do and I wanted it to happen with Alex. As corny as that sounds and how sappy and ‘romantic comedy’ that seems, I want it to happen.

“I don’t have to explain my reasoning to you Jack,” her stern voice scaring me a bit.

“But I really want to go,” I continued to argue. “Everybody will be there. Alex will be there!”

“You should have thought about that before you stayed out all night Christmas Eve,” she told me; turning her back on me, facing the stove where she was cooking some sort of stew.

“Is that why I can’t go?” I asked her incredulously; stepping up beside her to catch her eye. “Because I spent the night out?”

“Yes,” she nodded sharply. “You didn’t even call Jack. I was under the impression you were going to thank Alex for the gift and come home.”

“Well, I did thank him,” I looked down sheepishly.

I didn’t want to admit to my mum what had gone down that night; the sleeping together part. As amazing as it was, that’s one thing a mother never wants to know. I bit my lip and slowly looked up at my mum.

“Look Jack, I understand that Alex is your....” she paused; waving her hand to finish the sentence.

“Boyfriend,” I finished, annoyed.

Why is she so against Alex and I all of a sudden?

“Yes, that,” she frowned. “But that doesn’t mean you can go gallivanting with him without letting me or your father know.”

“We weren’t gallivanting,” I scoffed. “We stayed at his house, in his room all night. We didn’t go anywhere. We fell asleep.”

My mum raised an eyebrow at me and I cast my eyes downward. Shit. Busted.

“Spare the details please,” her frown was permanently attached to her face.

“Sorry,” I murmured.

“My decisions final, Jack,” she finished. “You’re not going.”

With a sigh and a scowl I turned my back on my mum. Muttering profanities under my breath, I stalked away, down to my bedroom and slammed the door behind me. 16 isn’t too old for a temper tantrum right? Good. I flopped down on my bed and sighed heavily into my pillow. I couldn’t exactly tell my mum about that night or the reason I didn’t come home.

“yeah mum. The reason I didn’t come home was because I was making love with my boyfriend. Yep. That's right. we weren’t just talking like the innocent little boys you think we are. We were fucking okay? That’s why I didn’t come home.”

I rolled onto my back; laughing to myself just thinking about how my mother would react if I was to actually tell her that. No. Never. I had only told her about me and Alex actually being a couple because Alex persuaded me. I swear, sometimes without him I would turn into a pile of jello. Then again; with him I become a pile of jello. He just had that effect on me okay.

I reached into my bedside table draw and fumbled around for my phone; eventually having to sit up and actually look for it properly. I pulled it out and slid it open. I opened a new text to Alex. I sighed one more time before thumbing him a quick note.

“hey Lex. Finally asked my mum about Zack’s party. The answer is no. Something about staying out all night on Christmas eve apparently ‘gallivanting’ with my *waves hand* Anyway. Have fun for both of us alright? Say hi to the guys for me.
I love you.”


I frowned at the message and read through it twice before hitting send. I dropped my phone back into my draw. I doubted I’d get a reply. He was probably showering and getting ready for the party or something. Shower. I subtly took a whiff of my own under arm and pulled a face. A shower would be a good day. I rolled off of my bed and pulled off my hoodie. I walked into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. I started the water as I stripped off; leaving my clothes in a pile on the floor. I tested the water with my hand before stepping in under the stream. I decided to savor it; letting the hot water just cascade down my body.

~

I stepped out of the shower and dried my hair furiously with my towel. I wrapped it around my waist; settling it around my hips. I slowly opened the bathroom door and peeked around before making the quick dash to my bedroom. I slowly closed my door behind me before moving to my drawers and pulling out a pair of boxers. I dropped the towel to the floor and stepped into my boxers; pulling them up to my hips. I chucked a t-shirt from the floor over my head and plopped back down onto my bed. I crossed my arms above my head and settled my arms on them.

I let my thoughts go back to Alex. What would he be doing now? It was almost seven. Would he be doing his hair? Maybe picking out a beanie. What would he be wearing? Those black jeans probably. He knows how much I love those. A vneck perhaps; or a button down and his leather jacket. Converses for sure. Would he drink? I doubt it. Well, maybe just one. He’s never drank before. I’d be sure to take care of him if he ever did.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my door.

“What?” I hollered.

“Dinner,” I heard my mums voice call to me.

I frowned and rolled my eyes. I sat up. As if I would go to dinner with them. I would probably just get told off some more, cop a lecture from my dad for ‘disrespecting’ my mum and get smart ass smirks and comments from my siblings.

“I’m not hungry,” I yelled back as politely and sweetly as possible.

“Are you going to stay in your bedroom and sulk all night?” she asked.

Sulk? Me? Never. I laughed to myself and shook my head.

“So what if I am?” I replied; my tone mocking.

I heard her tisk as she walked away. I lay back down and frowned again. Dug out my phone again and slid it back open. I flicked through old text messages from Alex. Ones that were sweet, ones reminding me about homework and ones that were a little more risqué and sent during classes. I smirked at the picture message that Alex had sent of himself. He was blowing me a kiss. But it wasn’t the picture I was smirking at, exactly. It was the whereabouts. Up in the eaves of the hall where no one would find him; and the small message beneath it.

“come find me.”

I smiled and closed out of the texts and moved into the camera album. I scanned through ones from before Alex and I met; mainly ones from family gatherings and ones of Zack skating in the skate park. Then I found them. The first photos. Ones of Alex smiling, ones of Alex where he didn’t know the photo was being taken. And one, which was my favorite. He was smiling right at the camera; his eyes burning into mine through the screen. He was making a heart with his hands. I smiled at the picture.

I sat bolt upright. Barakat what the fuck are you doing? Why are you just giving up? You’ve never given up on anything. Well maybe Spanish homework but when it comes to Alex; never.

I jumped up off my bed and picked up a pair of jeans off my floor. I stuffed my legs into them quickly and pulled them up and buttoned them. I pulled my leather jacket free from the back of my desk chair and pulled it on. I zipped it up. I stuffed my feet into my still laced converses.

With a devious grin, I quickly stuffed my pillows under my blankets in an attempt to make them look like my sleeping body. I walked t my window and slowly opened it. Thankfully, it didn’t creak. I chucked a leg over; followed by the other and pushed my self off the window sill. I landed with a gentle thud on the grass below. I recollected myself, stuffed my hand into my jean pockets and hunched over against the wind. Even though it was cold and Zack’s house was a long walk away, I knew that it would be worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
*breathes sigh of relief*
Writers block sucks. Really. But there we go.
i didn't write Jack in the shower because i feel awkward doing so.
But um, what'd you think?
i hope it's alright.
please comment and let me know!