Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Dedication

3 Days Later

Rian’s POV

If you don’t know the meaning of the word dedication, then you sure as hell haven’t met Alex Gaskarth. That boy has hardly left his boyfriends bedside in the three days Jack’s been lying there unconscious. Three whole days Alex has sat perched on that seat, hand loosely wrapped around Jack’s still semi lifeless one; eyes never leaving the love of his life’s face. He had pee’d a few times, ate when Joyce, Isobel, Zack or I had brung him food and showered when they came in to change any of Jack’s dressings and to check for infection. Alex just couldn’t stand the sight of Jack so broken; so helpless.

There, unfortunately, hadn’t been any insight into who had done this to Jack, although I did have my suspisions. That asshole Chris Stanley had been bugging Jack since junior high and I swear, if it turns out it was him and any of his cronies that did this to Jack, they’ll be the next to be checked into the emergency room. And they’ll be there to stay. No one messes with my mates and gets away with it.

I stood in the door way of Jack’s semi private room. His room mate was recently rolled away from surgery; not before shooting a flirtatious smile and a good luck my way. This was a guy mind you. Do I look gay or something? Anyway, i was currently standing in Jack’s door way watching him. We had finally convinced Alex to go home; to shower properly, eat something other then take away or hospital cafeteria food (some of which I was sure was actual cardboard) and to get some proper sleep. The dark circles under Alex’s eyes were worse than Jack’s when he had left earlier this afternoon.

Jack’s chest rose and fell like he was sleeping; a coma like state brought on by a shit tonne of pain meds. The bruising on his chest and jaw had faded but only slightly and he had honestly never looked so thin. I am so taking him out to Buger King or something when he gets out of here. I shifted my gaze to Jack’s face. Ever since Alex had gone home there had appeared to be a frown on Jack’s features. The sides of his mouth were turned down just a fraction and his brow was slightly furrowed. Wait. Did his lip just twitch?

“Hey,” whisper came from behind me; a pair of arms looped their way around my waist. “How’s he doing?”

I turned my head has much as the grasp would let me and smiled at Kara fondly. I pressed an awkward kiss to her forehead before sighing.

‘’Still the same,” I responded. “I swear though, it’s like he’s frowning though.”

Kara stepped a little more to my side; not loosening her grip on my waist. I watched as she peered at Jack.

“You know, it does,” she smiled. “Maybe he knows Alex isn’t here.”

“Maybe,” i half shrugged and sighed sadly. “I just wish he would wake up. I mean, i know we’ve only known Alex for like a few months or something. But seeing him so torn up over this. It’s really breaking my heart.”

Kara wriggled a little stepped in front me; looking up to me with a smile.

“I love how much you care about your friends,” she told me quietly. “Its one of the reasons i fell in love with you.”

I felt my stomach do a back flip when she said that, before smirking.

“One of the reason? What were the others?” i asked.

“Well, you’re sweet,” she kissed me on one cheek. “You’re a gentleman.” She kissed me on the other. “you’re sexy as hell.” She kissed my nose. “and you really know how to make me feel, i don’t know, loved.”

She blushed a little as she explained and i just smiled and pressed my lips to hers.

“I love you too, Kara,” i whispered to her; resting my forehead against hers. “So much.”

“If you two don’t stop being so nauseating in the corner, you’re going to need to get me a sick bucket,” both Kara and i whipped our heads around at the sound of Jack’s voice. “Or at least another bed pan or something.”

“You...you’re awake?” i stuttered; my face resembling that of a fish out of water.

Jack half laughed, coughed and then nodded.

“Seems like it,” he looked around before looking questioningly to me. “What the heck happened?”

“You got the shit kicked out of you,” Kara told him and i laughed at her recollection. “Well, we didn’t see it. We only found the mangled bloody and bruised aftermath.”

“oh,” Jack broke eye contact and looked down to the blanket that sat over his waist. His eyes bulged slightly as he took in the bruises on his chest and stomach. I swallowed as he pulled it up over his chest; seemingly ashamed of what happened.

“If you want us to...” kara started; motioning to the door.

“Where’s Alex?” Jack asked not raising his eyes.

“We finally convinced the little bastard to go home,” i told him.

“finally?” jack looked up then and i smiled.

“he very rarely left your bed side the entire time you’ve been here Jack.”

“how long?”

“three days.”

Jack’s POV

i felt tears start to well up in my eyes. He stayed. He was waiting for me. But. Why? Why would he do that. He hated me.

“do you want me to call him?” Kara offered and i nodded quickly.

“I’ll be right back,” she slipped out the door and Rian closed it behind her.

He moved to sit beside me in the chair.

“Was he really here three days?” i asked; my voice hoarse. I swallowed down tears

“Yeah,” Rian assured me. he stood up and moved to pick the hoodie that was draped over a table in the corner. The red hoodie. That same hoodie i was wearing the first day i ever met Alex. He moved and sat back down; draping the hoodie over my lap.

“Thanks,” i sat up carefully, pulling my arms into my hoodie and zipping it up. i pulled the sleeves down over my hands; lifting my hand to my nose. It smelled like Alex. I then dropped my hand.

“Don’t mention it.”

“Why’d he stay?” i caught Rian’s eye and frowned.

“Why wouldn’t he?” he asked. “You guys fixed everything. You were okay.”

“Last thing i remember everything was awkward,” I shook my head and ran my fingers through my hair, wincing when my fingers brushed my forehead. “Ow. i spoke to Zack. And then, honestly. Nothing.”

i felt Rian’s gaze on me and i looked to him. He looked worried.

“Mr Barakat!” a voice came from the door. “Miss Kara told me that you had woken up on her way out. How are you feeling?”

“He doesn’t remember some things,” Rian told him; not shifting his eyes from me.

“Is that true?” the doctor asked. He checked my stats and began fiddling with the IV in the back of my hand; gently taking it out. I nodded. “Well, I’m doctor Johnson. What do you remember?”

“Last thing i remember is talking to Zack. We were at a bench. We were supposed to be getting pizza,” Jack frowned. “We were talking about how everything between Alex and i were awkward and different.”

“You and Alex certainly didn’t seem awkward when he arrived here,” Dr Johnson continued. “He was quite insisted about seeing you once we told him how everything was. He said he was your boyfriend.”

i looked up to Dr Johnson; surprised. Usually there was a pause before someone said boyfriend. One of ignorance. Or unacceptance.

“I’m gay Jack,” Dr Johsnon smiled. “But, that’s beside the point. When did this conversation take place?”

“Sunday,” Jack told him confidently.

“He’s right,” Rian smiled. “the four of us were at my house on Sunday afternoon. Jack and Alex walked home and got caught in the rain. Which is when your make up conversation happened Jack. You and Alex spent the night together on Sunday at his place. You went home to get changed and everything for school on Monday. Alex stayed home because he had a cold from getting stuck in the rain. You came to school. And you told me and Zack everything. You were sniffling liek an idiot. I told you to just go home. You said you only had one period left there was no point. Then you had gym. Next thing we know, Zack’s finding you bloody and unconscious in a shower stall.”

“I...” i screwed up my face as i remembered, instantly pissed off. “Chris. He cornered me. Him and Riley and a few others. I. I remember that. Kind of.”

“But anything before?” i asked.

“From the conversation with Zack until then is fuzzy,” i shook my head and slammed my palms down onto the bed in frustration. “This is so fucking frustrating. Why can’t i remember anything? From then till now? I want to remember that conversation with Alex. I want to believe that everythings okay.”

I bit down hard on my lip refusing to cry.

“But. Everything is more than okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
see! you didnt think i'd leave him unconscious forever did you?
its been a while. a long while and ive had such a block. but hopefully its been lifted now.
alrighty.
so what'd you think. please comment and let me know.
it's nothing spectacular i admit.