Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Runaways

Jack’s POV

It was an infernal tapping that woke me up. I cracked one eye open and peered at the time on my alarm clock. 1;43am. I closed my eyes again desperate just to go back to sleep.

The tapping started again a little louder then before. This time I ignored it completely. It was probably just a tree branch tapping again the glass of my window. Stupid wind. Stupid tree disturbing my beauty sleep. I had just settled into my pillow, my blanket pulled right up on my chin when my phone started to vibrate loudly on my bedside table. I sighed frustrated and picked it up. A photo of Alex’s grinning face taken last night greeted me. I remembered last time he called me in the middle of the night. It had led to a pretty sensational blow job if i do say so myself.

“Alex, hi,” i said into the mouth piece; plopping the phone down onto my cheek.

“Jack?” Alex’s voice sounded different; weird or nervous. But not night before battle of the bands nervous. A different type of nervous.

“What’s wrong?” I had to ask. He was worrying me now.

“I’m outside.”

“Where?”

“Your house.”

I sat bolt upright, my phone dropping into my lap. I scrambled for it as I turned to look at my window. Alex waved at me from behind the glass. I got out of bed and wandered over to my window. I hung up the phone and chucked it back onto my bed. I pushed my window open.

“Hey,” I greeted him. “What are you doing here?”

“Nothing.” I could just tell he was lying.

“Don’t lie to me,” I frowned. “You don’t just rock up at my window at nearly two in the morning. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong,” He repeated himself. “Not really. I just, need to get away.”

“Where?”

“Just anywhere,” he shrugged before leaning on my window sill.

“Now?” I asked him incredulously. Has he seriously lost his mind?

“Yeah Jack,” he reached up and adjusted the beanie he had on his head. “I just wanted to tell you that…”

“I’m coming with you,” I interrupted him and walked over to my closet.

I pulled out a shirt or two, my leather jacket, a hoodie; things I figured I’d need for an impromptu getaway.

“Jack what…?”

“I assumed you wanted a runaway buddy,” I smiled over at him as I got changed, chucking my pyjama pants at the pile on my bed. I grabbed my school bag and dumped the contents out on the floor before stuffing the clothes into it.

“But, that’s not why I came,” Alex told me. “Schools tomorrow Jack.”

“You think I care about school when I could spend the day running away with you?” I turned and looked at him.

“But…”

“No buts,” i pulled my jeans on and stuffed my feet into my converses. I tugged on another hoodie in my closet and it came free of its hanger. I pulled it on over whatever shirt i was wearing as pyjamas. I couldn't make out the logo in the dark.

“Jack…” Alex said and I walked over to him.

His eyes were glassy and a frown was set on his lips. I kissed him softly.

“I’m not letting you go alone,” I slid a hand onto his cheek. “Where we’re going, we’re going together. Now come on. Before we wake up my parents.”

Alex stepped back as I grabbed my back pack. I swung a leg over the window sill and pulled myself up and over it, landing on my feet on the other side. Alex pulled me into a quick hug before ceasing my hand and pulling me towards his car. We climbed in and with a final smile at me, Alex put it in drive and pulled away form the curb.

Alex’s POV

It’s about half an hour into our journey when Jack asks me the question I had honestly been dreading.

“Where exactly are we going?” his voice was soft in the silent car.

We pulled to a stop at a red light and I glanced over at him. He had turned around to face me as much as his buckled seat belt would allow; leaning against the door of the car. He pulled a knee up, setting his foot against the centre console.

“I don't know,” I answered him honestly.

“You dont…”

“I dont know Jack,” I told him again; accelerating violently when the light turned green. I was more frustrated with myself then I was with Jack.

Jacks hand flew out against the dashboard to keep him up right on the seat.

“Fucking hell,” he muttered.

“Sorry,” I kept my eyes trained on the road in front of me. It was just myself, Jack and the streetlights for company. It was so empty, like a ghost town. But honestly what did I expect at almost 2;30am. In my peripheral I saw Jack turn and sit in the seat properly, propping his chin up on his hand and looking out his side window inadvertently shutting off any welcome conversation.

“Jack,” I started and he turned a little further away from me.

I silently thanked any god that was listening when the next traffic light was red when we approached. i reached over and put my hand on his knee. I saw his eyes flicker to it.

“Please Jack,” I begged. “I can't do this without you. I just, I’m sorry. I don’t know where I’m going yet. I haven't decided. I just know I need to get away from here. If only just for a little while.”

“You could have just said that,” Jack mumbles from his seat. He’s not looking at me. Fuck.

“I know,” I slid my hand onto his instead and he flipped his hand over and laced his fingers through mine. “And I’m sorry again. Really I am. I just don't really know what I’m doing. And I cant absorb what went down at battle of the bands. I um.”

“You what?” Jack was looking at me now. I’d lost count of how many green lights we had missed sitting here chatting.

“I wasn’t going to come to yours tonight,” I admitted. “I wasn’t going to come and tell you I was running away. I was just going to go and deal with the consequences, or maybe if I got the guts I would have called you from wherever I ended up with but god, I am so glad I came to you first.”

“For the record, I’m glad you came too,” Jack squeezed my hand. “Even if you did nearly decapitate me with my seatbelt.”

I couldn't help my smile when he grinned at me.

“Now, what do you say we get a sing a long going,” Jack let go of my hand and started digging through the glove box for my cd cases. He pulled out one of the many mixes he had made to educate me on good music. “I know last time you sang it didn't rally end too spectacularly. But hey, I’m a pretty good audience.” He slid the cd into the player under the dash.

“I have one condition,” I told him.

“Whats that?”

“You have to sing a long,” I finally pulled away from the traffic lights when they next went green.

“Deal,” Jack grinned at me and hit play.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. So this wasn't in my original plan for this story. I was inspired by Runaways from Future Hearts.
Just some Alex/Jack lovely stuff. There's more where this came from.

Did anyone else listen to the first play of Future Hearts on iTunes? What are your favourites?
I'ms really loving Satellites and Missing You and well pretty much the entire album!
Comments my lovelies?