Status: Back in business. Please read second authors note added to the 'Info" section of this story.

Head on Collision

Light The Way

Alex’s POV

The clock on the dashboard read 6.15am. I had been driving for about four hours. I’d crossed a state line, lost count of the amount of trees I’d past and i had long since lost the lights of a city. Where the fuck was I going? What was i even thinking? What was i even doing? The road stretched out in front of me; just white lines and darkness. The occasional car had driven past, a semi trailer truck, a tourist bus. But nothing else. Jack was right. I was crazy. I should’t have done this. But i couldn't stay in baltimore. i didn't want to go back to that school, to those kids, to their face. Not yet, not just yet. Maybe i should have just went alone. I dint want Jack to come with me. His parents and siblings would be so worried. Fuck my parents would be so worried. I had told them what had gone down. What if they thought i had….

No. They wouldn't think that. The cars only gone. They probably think I’m at Jacks. Thats where i would usually go if I’m upset. Speaking of my boyfriend. I had lost him about an hour ago. His voice had gradually gotten quieter; if you can imagine Jack talking quietly. It dropped off to hums of agreement and then to silence.

I glanced over at my sleeping boyfriend. H was angled slightly towards me. One leg bent up onto the seat, his other foot still on the floor. His arms were folded across his hoodie clad chest. He’s probably cold. I know I am but i don't want to turn the heat on. I don’t really have that much cash on me for gas. He had his head back against the glass of the window but turned into the seat, his cheek agaisnt the leather, his hood up over his head and his fringe mashed adjacent his forehead.

He looked so fucking cute. God damn it. Why did i go to his house? Why didn’t i just drive away and leave him at his house? i should have called him from wherever i got to. He could be asleep in his warm bed, comfortable if i didn't go to his first. I stole a quick glance at his again as a semi trailer past by; his headlights illuminating the front seat. Jack shifted ever so slightly and he smiled a little in his sleep.

That’s why. That’s why I went to him. Because i don't think i would have found the strength to go this far without him.

Jack’s POV

It was the park brake being pulled up that woke me up. I opened my eyes slowly and was affronted by sunlight. I groaned at the offending light, pulling my hoodie up over my eyes.

“Jesus christ,” I mumbled. “Someone turn down the sun.”

“Oh!” Alex voice greeted the groan. “You’re awake!”

I slowly lowered my hoodie s my eyes adjusted to the sunlight. I looked over at Alex as he pulled his seat belt off. His face looked exhausted, his hair was a mess like he’d been fussing about with his fringe this whole drive. But his eyes were bright, energised, excited. I sat up and looked out the windscreen. We’re at

“Alex?”

“Yes Jack,” he stretched his arms out in front of him.

“Where are we?”

“The beach.”

“I can see that,” i turned and looked to either side of us. “But this isn't Chesapeake. Where are we?”

“Myrtle Beach,” he answered shyly.

“Myrtle….”

“South Carolina,” he finished and opened his door; seemingly trying to avoid this conversation.

What the hell? South Carolina? Thats like ten hours drive. I climbed out too and looked at him over the top of his car.

“You've been driving his whole time?” I asked incredulously. “Why didn't you wake me up?”

“You looked so fucking adorable Jack,” he turned his back to me and leant on the side of the car. “I didn't want to wake you up.”

“That’s not the point,” I started and walked around to his side. “That’s so dangerous Alex. Driving what? Ten hours. No one to spot you, no one to take over if you’re tired. And you’re emotional and angry and upset about what happened at school!”

I watched Alex’s body slump against the door of the car, his arms coming up around himself. I sighed and stepped up to him myself, dragging him forward into a hug.

“I didn’t mind,” he told me. “I liked having the silence, time to think. I coulnd’t sleep last night. Who’s say i would have slept in the car.”

“But still.”

Alex pulled back from me and looked up at me.

“I know,” he chewed his lip an then sighed. “And I’m sorry. I know i shouldn't have driven all night. Especially this far. But I needed that time Jack. You get that don’t you? Needing time to be by yourself and think.”

“Of course i do,” i agreed. “ but i house to do it in my bedroom, or in a parked car not flying down the highway at seventy miles an hour in a death machine.”

Alex pulled away completely, his face angry. He started to walk away towards the little row of shops behind us. i ran my fingers through my fringe, dropping my hood back off my head. I looked to the sky for some sort of help, finding only a perfect blue sky looking at me. i s]hook my head and went after Alex. i grabbed his hand.

“Look, I’m sorry,” I told him, yanking him back to me. “I don’t understand what you’re going through. I know that. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped like that.”

Alex kept his eyes on the gravel beneath our feet. i pressed a kiss to his forehead. i looked over his shoulder at the shops across from us.

“Hey, does that say waffles?” I asked cheekily and Alex looked up. He looked like he was trying not to smile.

“Okay okay. Look, i promise” i slid both of my hands into his. “No more questioning your choices okay?”

His eyes found mine.

“I am here as your boyfriend and your best friend and your runaway buddy,” I smiled and i kissed him.

I felt him sigh against my lips.

“Thank you Jack,” He told me quietly.

“You’re welcome babe,” i grinned. “So, um. Waffles?”

“Waffles it is,” Alex laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
here's another. won't be long for another.
love you guys.