Sequel: The Choice Is Yours

Candescent

Detention(s)

I had a detention.

It was the first time ever in my life I had been reprimanded. Apparently one of the tasks we’d had to do in Defence Against the Dark Arts was this huge research assessment on the History of Defensive Magic. I didn’t do it. Of course, the fact that I then pulled out my wand and performed the Jelly-legs jinx upon Professor Quirrell didn’t exactly help.

It did happen to gain me a bit of respect from my fellow Slytherins and even those from other houses who thought Quirrell was a bit of a joke. Of course, Hermione looked horrified and quickly began to ruffle through her books I search of the counter curse.

Reluctantly I incanted the counter curse in an undertone and watched the class laugh as Quirrell straightened his turban and his robes.

“De-de-detention!” he managed through his stutter. “To-tomorrow after th-the match.” The laughter still didn’t stop until the bell rang and people packed up their books chattering loudly. I pulled mine together slowly and put them in my bags. Slytherins patted me on the back as they went past but as I was the last person to walk out, it was Hermione who fell into step beside me.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” she said to me as I swept my hair to the side to put my bag on my shoulder.

“Yeah well, some of us don’t have the same self-restraint that you do,” I replied equally. “It just seemed easier to get something enjoyable since I was going to get a detention either way. I actually just hope this doesn’t reach Snape’s ears because personally, I fear his wrath more than Quirrell’s.” That was, if Snape actually liked Quirrell. But if he didn’t, I don’t suppose it mattered and I'd just gotten away with only a detention. Score!

“Still, Quirrell is a teacher,” she responded. “By the way, how did you learn that jinx?”

I shrugged, not even really remembering. “I'll see you later yeah? I need a bit of help with my Potions, History of Magic, Transfiguration and Charms homework. I'm fairly certain I can get the Defence against the Dark Arts one done.”

“YOU need MY help?” Hermione asked incredulously. “I'm sorry, did I just step into an alternate universe where Alyssa Tyler is a Slytherin who slacks off and jinxes teachers?”

“It appears so.”

I waved at her and walked off down the hallway and a couple of flights of moving stairs until I met Malfoy in the entrance hall. He met me with, “That was brilliant.”

“I do what I can,” I responded nonchalantly as we walked down the stairs. “Say, I hear that Snape’s refereeing the Quidditch game tomorrow.”

Malfoy nodded excitedly, “Hopefully it’ll teach those blasted Gryffindors a lesson.”

And for once, even though I had no idea why, I didn’t disagree with him.

xxxxx

That night I found myself holed up in my bed with the curtains closed. Pansy’s snores and Daphne’s heavy breathing weren’t helping my attempts to concentrate on the conclusion of my transfiguration essay. As my clock ticked closer to midnight I finally managed to put in my last full stop and stopper my ink bottle. Muttering ‘nox’ I turned off the light coming from my wand. Sighing, I leaned back into my pillow, looked up at the top of my bed before closing my eyes –

– a jet of green light –

I sat up with a gasp, blinking quickly as I tried to rid the scene from my eyes. But after I became quite familiar with every stitch on my bed curtains, I realised that I wasn’t going to be able to sleep.

I picked up my wand from next to my pillow and muttered ‘Lumos’ as I pulled aside my curtains and stepped into my woolly slippers. Throwing a jumper over my head I walked pointlessly out of my dormitory and downstairs into the common room where a dying fire cast a dim light over the stonework. A small house elf cleaned away across the other side of the room so I walked silently towards the wall the vanished as I approached.

I was surprised to find no teachers patrolling the corridors or at least Mrs. Norris. Normally I wouldn’t even dare leaving the common room at this time of night…well…morning.

I walked around the dungeons before peeking into the entrance hall. After spotting no one, I crept across the empty hall whilst keeping a wary eye out for any sudden movement. After initially making the decision to go to the library, I decided against it and instead wandered around the fourth floor.

Hearing footsteps coming closer I slipped behind I pillar and saw Professor Quirrell hurrying downstairs towards the third floor. Hmm…

Curiosity got the better of me and I followed him to where he opened the door to the three-headed dog once more. Turning off my light, I stepped lightly and peeked in to see the dog asleep to the sound of a harp playing. Craning my head to get a better look, my foot slipped on the stonework making a loud noise that echoed through the room.

In a split second I swung back around to hide behind the pillar, my heart pounding as Quirrell came running out of the door. Eyes wide, he turned around searching for what had made the noise. Seeming fearful, he locked the door after vanishing the harp and swept back down the corridor glancing fearfully behind him.

I gazed after him inquisitorially. After all, he was a teacher, but I'm pretty sure that even teachers weren’t supposed to be out at this time of night. But judging by the sneakiness it looked like Quirrell wanted the Philosopher’s Stone, whatever that entailed. I wondered if Hermione, Ron and Harry had found out yet.

With my head in a daze I made my way back down to the dungeons finding absolutely no resistance as I walked through the castle. I found it really strange that there weren’t that many security measures up.

After muttering “Serpent,” the wall in the dungeon that led to the common room disappeared and I walked down the tunnel. Being in the common room I expected to be safe, but of course, Snape had to be there reading a book.

“My office. Now,” he said without looking up.

I was inwardly kicking myself as I walked straight back out of the common room followed closely by Professor Snape in his billowing cloak.

Damn it, I told myself as I walked into his office. I was going to get at least two detentions in two days. This semester was not off to an auspicious start.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is the fastest update in a while. I think i'm going through Harry Potter withdrawals.

Anyway, comments always appreciated! =]