Sequel: The Choice Is Yours

Candescent

It wasn't a hoax.

Of course, the next morning I tried to act like everything was fine and dandy. Which of course it wasn’t. I was seriously freaked out and feeling slightly worried that I was finally losing it after all these years.

It got even stranger at breakfast.

“Alyssa,” my mother started – that’s my name if you hadn’t guessed already. “You haven’t gotten a letter recently have you?”

“Other than the one I got from Danielle?”

“No,” she frowned. “I was thinking a bit more official than that.”

Holy cow. She knew.

“Well…” I could see on her face that she already knew. “I kind of got this crazy letter delivered in the middle of the night last night by and owl. Seriously, an owl! It was some kind of practical joke I think. It said that I’d been accepted into some school of magic. I mean, did they actually think I would believe it? It’s so far-fetched that it doesn’t even deserve to be called a serious attempt at fooling someone.”

My mother was quiet throughout my ranting. But as I stopped and started to stir my cereal absent-mindedly, she spoke up.

“We’re not going to buy your new school uniform today then Alyssa.”

“Why?”

“Because it wasn’t a hoax. When September comes, you’re going to attend Hogwarts.”

“What?” I said dangerously.

“Honey…we never wanted to admit it. But you’re special.”

“As in what?” I asked, standing up quickly. “I’m a freak? You’re going to send me away to some school for freaks?!”

“No Alyssa,” she said, remaining annoyingly calm. “You’re a witch.”

“I’m a what?”

“A witch. A magic-“

“Yeah, I know what a witch is. But that’s impossible. Everyone knows there’s no such thing as magic.”

“So everything you’ve done over the years has just been coincidence?”

“Well, I mean, maybe?”

“You’re a witch Alyssa,” she said. “But I’m not.”

“I’m adopted aren’t I?” I asked, sitting down and letting it all sink in. “I knew it.”

“Years ago, a wizard by the name of Albus Dumbledore arrived on our doorstep with a child. You. He explained some things, but not in depth. I didn’t understand most of it anyway. But I did get the part about you getting a letter and going to Hogwarts when you were eleven.”

“But I don’t want to go away,” I whispered.

“This is a chance for you to embrace yourself Aly. It’s a chance for you to fit in and be who you were meant to be.”

“I’ll still see you on holidays…right?”

“Of course you will,” she said, smiling.

Maybe this was a good thing then. I just hoped no one was going to think I was strange because of my scar.
♠ ♠ ♠
*suspenseful music* A scar, eh?

Comments please! =]