By the Light of the Northern Star

A Nice Surprise

The night before Gunnar and Elise got back Anna and Héri went to a nice place for dinner.

Héri had reserved a table in the back of the restaurant in a quieter location. They had a wonderful dinner and a lot of small conversation.

“Anna, I have something I want to tell you. I love you and I’ve felt that way for a long time. When I met you, I instantly wanted to be near you and talk to you. After a while I started to fall madly in love with you. Tonight I’m still very much in love with you,” he said and got down on one knee.

“Anna would you do me the honor of being my wife?” Héri asked.

“Yes, Héri you are the best thing to happen in my life.” Anna said as he slipped the ring on her finger.

She hugged him and cried on his shoulder. They went home that night excited to share the news with everyone.

The next day they met up with Elise and Gunnar at the airport.

“Anna,” Elise screamed running down through the crowd.

“Elise,” Anna screamed back running to hug her friend.

“Oh my God I have so much to tell you.” Elise gushed.

“Me too,” Anna squealed.

“You first,” Elise said out of breath.

“Héri proposed to me last night. He promised I could tell you first.”

The girls turned around to see Gunnar congratulating Héri. The girls walked up to their significant others. They all hugged and grabbed all the bags and things from the baggage carousel.

The whole ride home the girls traded stories about what had happened during their week apart. They talked quietly so the boys couldn’t hear their private conversation. When they settled Elise and Gunnar back home they invited everyone over to tell them the good news.

A few hours later the guys of Týr, Abby, Mel, and Lucy were all crowded in Gunnar’s living room.

“Well I called everyone here because Héri and I have great news. We’re engaged and we want to start planning the wedding.” Anna exclaimed happily.

“That’s great Anna,” Mel said hugging Anna tightly.

The whole room erupted in congratulations, hugs, and slaps on the back. There were excited conversations and memories.

“So we,” Anna started as everyone calmed down. “Decided that since it was March we decided the date would be June 15 of this year. We already started some of the planning the minute we got home.”

“Are any of your family coming?” Abby asked.

“No I’ve distanced myself from them and I don’t really want them there. The relationship has been strained for a while. I’m sure they wouldn’t come anyway.” I answered stonily.

I didn’t care about my parents anymore since they never taught me anything and never helped me so that I could mature at the right time. I will not have them there on my happy day.

Elise spoke up, “So what did you guys think about already?”

“I know what dress I want and some alternates picked out. We also decided to have it during the afternoon, after lunch and just have some finger foods. We want a DJ, and you and the girls sing our first dance song.”

“Alright Anna tomorrow we’ll find you a place because we have to have it reserved early. We’ll talk about everything tomorrow, so let’s all go home and get some sleep since it’s getting late.” Elise said and shooed everyone away for the night.

It was hard to sleep that night but Anna knew everything would be sorted in the morning.

“Anna, Anna wake up.” Someone said shaking me awake.

“What,” I said angrily.

I opened my eyes and saw Elise waiting impatiently. I slowly sat up and looked at the clock. It was 7:30 in the morning.

“Why are you here so early?”

“Well I found a place that I’m sure you would like to get married at. The sooner you get ready the sooner we can go look at it. I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Since it’s important I guess I can get ready quickly.” I said while grabbing clothes and a towel.

It took me twenty minutes to get all the way ready. I walked down the stairs and saw all the girls waiting for me.

“Come on we’re waiting,” Lucy said tapping her foot.

“Well I’m ready now, so let’s go.” Anna said walking out the door.

It was a two hour drive and a hectic one at that. Everyone asked me tons of questions; black metal was playing, and Elise with her aggressive driving.

Thankfully we made it to the place in one piece. I marveled at the site she had chosen. It was a large green meadow with the mountains in the background. There was also a gazebo near the trees at the back of the field. There was a small building to the right of the open field.

“Wow,” was the first thing Anna muttered stepping out of the car.

It was beautiful. The girls made their way into the building. There was a desk to the left side of the inside and we stepped up to it.

“Hello ladies, what can I do for you?” A petite lady with dark hair asked.

“Yes, we’re here to see what kind of accommodations you have for weddings.” Elise asked.

“Well I could show you around first if you like.”

“That would be great; this is the bride to be.” Elise said pulling me forward.

“Hello, it’s nice to meet you. From what I’ve already seen this place is beautiful.” Anna said shaking the ladies hand.

“Well this is just the front entrance of this building. On the left down that corridor are dressing rooms etcetera. On the right through that door is our kitchen. Through these double doors is the ballroom.” She said and led us through the white double doors.

It was breathtaking. There were hardwood floors and the walls were a cream color. There was one chandelier hanging on each side of the room. I knew then this was the place for the wedding.

“I was wondering if we can have the ceremony outside. I would like an outside wedding.” Anna asked.

“Oh yes, we will set out the chairs and I’m sure you saw the gazebo near the end by the trees. We do everything so all we will need are your color choice, food choices, and how many guests.”

“How much does it cost?”

“About three thousand and it includes everything that I just explained.” She answered.

“We’ll take it.” Anna answered.

“Okay let’s go get everything sorted out. If you like you can pay in installments.”

So once Anna called and confirmed it with Héri, the girls started working with the lady on all the details they had already like the colors and food they left the venue. It was already shaping up to being a great wedding.