By the Light of the Northern Star

Plans and Unplanned Meetings

After a long day of getting the place for the wedding, the wedding colors (midnight blue and silver), and the food choices Anna was exhausted. She got home and saw Héri sitting on the couch.

“Hey sweetheart, how was your day?” He asked.

“Exhausting,” Anna said sitting down. “We were all over the place but at least we have the place, food, and colors picked out.”

Anna laid down on the couch with her feet on Héri’s lap. She felt him slip her shoes and socks off. He started rubbing her feet and ankles. Anna drifted off to sleep but not before mumbling a “thank you” to Héri.

Anna woke up the next morning lying in bed alone. She could smell breakfast being cooked and she got out of bed. She walked down the stairs and saw Héri finishing up on the food.

“Hey babe, how are you this morning?” He asked when she appeared in front of him.

“Glad to not have to do anything today. The girls and I decided to stop playing at the restaurant. Abby, Mel, and Lucy have new jobs they’re starting and Elise and I just did not feel like playing anymore.”

“Oh well later today the guys and I have practice and we need to start working on the new album. I figured you would want a day to yourself.”

“Yes that would be great. I’m gonna miss you but I just want to relax.”

“Breakfast is served,” Héri said setting the plates down.

The first thing Anna did when Héri left was called Erik. She had something to ask him.

“Hello,” Erik said after the first ring.

“Hey E, it’s me Anna.”

“Anna how are you? It’s been a long time since I’ve talked to you.”

“Yeah I know, but I have some great news. Héri and I are getting married.”

“Really that’s great. I have some news too I met someone.”

“Oh really and what is she like.”

“Well she’s about your height; she has dark red hair, freckles on her nose, and crystal blue eyes.”

“I’m so happy for you E. I have a favor to ask you. I’m not inviting my family, I know you know why. So I wondered if you would give me away at my wedding.”

“I would be honored to give you away.”

“That’s wonderful; give me your address so I can send you an invitation. I would love for your girlfriend to come with you.”

Erik gave Anna his address and they hung up promising to talk on Skype later. After Anna got off the phone with Erik she took a hot bubble bath and laid down for a nap.

“Hey Anna, wake up.” Anna heard a voice say.

“Huh, what,” she said groggily.

“It’s me Héri, I just got back. How was your day?”

“Great Erik said he would give me away and then I took a bath. I have no idea why I’m so tired.” Anna noticed the clock read five o’clock.

“Probably because you didn’t have anything to do today,” Héri explained.

“So what now,” Anna asked.

“Well the girls wanted to meet you at six to go and try on wedding dresses.”

“Oh well, I’m gonna go get ready.” Anna said walking to the closet.

She picked out all her clothes and got ready to go try on dresses.

When Anna got to the dress shop all the other girls were there already. It was only a little after six. She got out and walked up to them.

“Well about time you got here.” Lucy said smiling.

“Yeah, yeah so I’m here let’s get this thing started.” Anna said.

The dress shop was interesting. Anna picked out the two dresses she really liked and left them for last. Every dress she tried on was pretty but didn’t look great on her. Some had too much lace, looked too much like a bunch of wadded up Kleenexes, or had too much beading and decoration.

She tried on the one from the Disney Princess collection. The Snow White inspired dress, but Anna felt it didn’t fit her personality. When she finally put on the dress with the blue on the back of the skirt it was perfect. Everything fit perfectly, it was the right length, and made Anna feel special.

“I love it,” Elise said.

“Yeah I know it’s the one. Have you all picked out the dresses you all liked?”

“Yes we found one in the dark blue that we all agreed on.”

Elise showed Anna the bridesmaid dresses and she was excited about the ones the girls had picked. They gave the dresses to the clerk and got measured. They would come back in two weeks to get fitted.

The weeks and months passed, everything got squared away and ready. Unbeknownst to Anna, Erik was coming the week before the wedding instead of the day before.

Anna heard a knock on the front door.

“It’s kind of early for someone to be coming over.”

When she opened the door she saw Erik.

“E,” she whispered. He walked up to her and embraced her in a tight hug.

“Oh my God, I’ve missed you E. It’s been too long.” She whispered to him.

When they pulled apart she noticed Rachel.

“Hi Rachel,” she said hugging the small girl.

“Erik has told me so much about you. Come in you two, it’s so nice you came by early.” Anna said.

“Yeah I figured we should come see you a little early, since we have that rehearsal dinner and everything.”

“I’m gonna tell Héri you’re here.” She ran up the stairs to grab him.

Everything was going great. She already had the bachelorette party and the rehearsal dinner went without a hitch. Everyone including Anna hoped that the wedding would be just as easy.