Status: Writer's Block

Mein Kampf as a Teenage Outcast

Deryk's POV

"Where the hell is my food?" my dad demanded. I don't see what's so hard to understand for him; I can't make water boil faster just by wanting it to; otherwise I would have about half an hour ago.

"What the fuck, kid? You can't even make some damn spaghetti? God, what do I keep you around for?" He said, walking into the kitchen and smacking my head each time he finished a sentence.

"I'm sorry."

"You what?" he asked, pushing my shoulder. Apparently someone never outgrew his bully stage. He pushed my shoulder blade once more. "What?"

"I'm sorry." I said, my voice betrying my lie.

"That's right. Get your worthless ass moving and finish my dinner." he said and pushed me into the counter.

I guess the fact that my dad is so young has a bit to do with his lack of maturity. He knocked up my mom when they were both fifteen, and now at thirty, he never really outgrew his bad habits. Mom, however, outgrew him and is probably raising some family of perfect children in the suberbs.

Finally the spaghetti was done and I served my dad his plate. "Well it's about time, asshole. How long does it take to boil water?"

I sat on the sofa and listened to him bitch about how the noodles were too al dente, and just about everything else it's possible to bitch about. Just as long as there was no beer in his hands, I was happy. Suddenly I felt a pleasant vibration in my pocket.

"Hey, ya busy?" Danni's text message read.

"Uh, no, but I dunno if my dad'll let me out." I replied before my dad could notice I wasn't looking at him. Or so I thought.

"Hey, listen to me, you little idiot! God, and you wonder why your grades are so low. Get over here." he demanded, tossing his plate to the coffee table and standing up. I tried to hunch low, like a turtle, into the sofa. "I said get up!"

I couldn't find my way to my feet, but my dad quickly fixed that. "When I talk to you, you better listen, got that?" he said, punching me in the stomach. "And when I tell you to do something, you better do it." Another hit to the face. "Don't talk back, don't ignore me. You aren't any better than me, so you show me some damn respect." Every other word was met with a kick to my side as he knocked me to the floor. I huddled and tried to just take it.

Just as soon as it started, though, it was over. He grabbed his food, stormed to his room, and slammed the door. I was safe... enough.

"Well then I'll come to you. I really just need to get outta my house, so can I stay at your place tonight?" Danni texted. On a Wednesday? Well, that is sort of random, but I could try to let her. Maybe if she's quiet, my dad won't mind.

"I dunno, Danni. My dad isn't in a good mood right now." I replied.

"Neither am I, and I really need someone, so please just do me this one favor, Deryk." Something about the way she worded her message made me forget all qualms about inviting her over. Which, I technically didn't.

***

*****

***

"Hey, sexy. What happened to your face?" Danni greeted me as I opened the door, eager to not allow her to knock once more.

"Just a, uh, freak accident involving a doorknob and a shoe I tripped over." I lied fairly believably. "So what with the urgency?"

"I was just having some, uh, issues with my dad." she said.

"Well, you know my bedroom floor is always-"

"Please???" she looked up at me with her beautiful deep brown eyes.

I sighed. "Ok, that my bedroom floor is always comfortable enough for ME whenever you need somewhere to go."

She smiled ear to ear and jumped forward towards me. "Thanks, Deryk!" she exclaimed into my chest as she hugged me tightly. My chin on her soft hair, I knew this was going to be a long night.