Status: -[06/24/2011]- Currently being re-edited. (:

Only in the Moonlight Does This Feel Right

Introductions

Jade had to agree with her Aunt Emily. The road to La Push wasn't pleasant — it had been far too long for her tastes. Sitting in the cramped truck wasn't exactly comfortable for the three of them.

When Emily killed the engine, they found themselves in front of a two story building that looked homey. Jade felt that this place wouldn't be a disappointment.

"Well, here we are." Emily sighed contently, getting out of the vehicle, Christian and Jade following suit.

Everyone picked up a suitcase and helped carry the luggage up the porch stairs. Aunt Emily opened the door and the three of them walked inside the humble home.

“It’s not much,” Emily began. “But its home.”

"It's nice, I like it." Jade smiled.

Emily smiled back in gratitude. "Thank you, Jade." She replied. "Your rooms are upstairs, although I'm afraid one of you will have to take the attic. Don't worry though, Sam and I spruced it up — it's not half-bad actually."

Jade looked to Chris as she picked up her bags from the floor. "I'll take the attic."

"Whatever you want, Jade." He responded, shrugging his shoulders as he picked up his luggage as well.

“Why don’t you both go and unpack?" Emily suggested. "I’ll start making dinner.”

The siblings nodded and began to ascend the staircase. Chris walked into his room first and Jade continued to go up another flight. She opened the door at the top of the staircase and entered the room.

The walls were painted a calm Teal, a color that Jade didn't mind and actually enjoyed. In the middle of the room against the back wall, a bed with a Midnight Green comforter beckoned her to come and sit, relax on the furniture. On the adjacent right wall, a wooden desk stood there, a lamp residing upon it. Next to the desk, a small bookshelf sat there, a few dictionaries and encyclopedias on the few shelves. And on the other wall, a large wooden dresser that was painted white stood up against it, a large window beside it.

Jade threw her suitcases upon the bed, ruining the wrinkle free covers, and began to put away her belongings. She set up photos from her past life in New York upon the dresser and desk. Lastly, Jade placed her white Mac upon the desk, a few books onto the shelves, and put her now empty suitcases in the corner of the room to hide them.

Out of sight, out of mind, right?

She sat upon her bed and gave a tired sigh. Jade gave a quick glance at her phone's clock and noticed it was just past three o'clock. Why's Emily making dinner so early? Do they usually eat at this time...? She questioned. She looked around the room and gave a shrug of the shoulders before standing up and walking out of the room. I'll help her.

Jade headed into the kitchen and saw Emily standing beside counter, mushing grounded meat together, no doubt making hamburgers.

"Need some help, Emily?"

Emily looked over her shoulder, somewhat curious to see who had talked — she still wasn't used to having her niece and nephew over to stay. "Oh, that would be great, Jade, thank you." She replied with a small smile.

The two of them ended up making more hamburgers than Jade had suspected — around thirty in total. After making the hamburgers, Emily and Jade then made two large pot fulls of spaghetti and meatballs. Needless to say, Jade was shocked at the amount of food they were preparing.

"Um, Emily...?"

Emily turned to her with a small smile. "Yes, Jade?"

"Why are we making so much food?"

"Well, the boys are coming over — they always do — and they have very hearty appetites." Emily explained. "The boys are Sam's friends. They're around your age, too, so I'm sure that you and Christian will get along just fine. You'll be seeing them a lot." Jade nodded as she listened to her aunt.

After finishing at a quarter-to-five, Jade returned upstairs and into her room. She sighed as boredom threatened to overtake her. She then turned to her laptop for some kind of entertainment. Jade turned on the electronic and logged onto the internet, beginning to check her email for anything to interest her. She wrote a quick message to her dad about how things were and what had happened when she remembered that he had instructed her to keep him updated on everything.

Once she was done, she pressed "Send" and watched as the screen popped up with a new window saying the message was sent successfully. Jade turned the Mac off and fell backwards onto her bed.

Sighing, Jade got comfortable as her eyes did a quick sweep of her new room. What was there to do around here...? Her eyes landed upon one of the many books on the bookshelf and she reached out to it. She opened up the diary and flipped to a random entry.

September 6, 1939

Dear Diary,

I don’t know why, but my mother gave me her diary. Something about, ‘you’ll soon give this to your daughter’. I’m not quite sure myself. Apparently this has been passed down from mother to daughter for years — it dates back to 1789! The first page is pretty… creepy to say the least. The back cover is thicker than the front, and it has a clasp on the inside for some reason. I tried to open it, but it’s shut for good. I can’t get it open. Mom’s calling — I’ll write later.

Bye,

Anna


Jade went to the front of the book to the first page in curiosity and read the text silently to herself.

The moonlight’s gift
Is another’s curse
A guardian, protector
For better, for worse

A descendant of those
Who kill for red wine
Immortal enemies
Will cross the line

Destined to meet
Is two youth’s fate
Love at first sight
Will overcome hate


Jade reread the small few stanzas and she knew that this was some sort of prank. Was this old thing suggesting that there were such things as immortals...?

Jade rolled her eyes as the simple thought and then went to the back of the journal. On the inside there was, in fact, a small clasp. She attempted to open it, however, it wouldn't budge.

This was slightly frustrating to Jade.

There was a soft knocking on her door and she put the diary underneath the pillow for safekeeping. "Come in."

A tanned man came inside her room — shirtless — with the body of a tall athlete on steroids. "Hello, I'm Sam Uley." He introduced. "I'm Emily's fiancé."

"Oh, it's nice to meet you, I'm Jade Young, her niece."

"It's nice to meet you, too." He replied with a nod. "Anyways, Emily says that dinner's on the table and that you can come in whenever you want to eat."

"Okay, I'll be right down."

Sam nodded his head in understanding and walked out of the room, closing the door silently, his footsteps fading down the staircase.

That was kind of awkward... She thought as she began to exit the room and follow Sam's earlier lead.

Jade paused when she reached the bottom of the staircase, staring at the sight before her. A few large guys were sitting at the dining table — shirtless — and scarfing down everything on their plate. Chris, who was already seated, was the one exception. He also looked a bit confused at the scene, but wasn't going to make anything out of it.

Jade could feel her cheeks becoming hot as blood rushed to them in slight embarrassment. Jade hadn't realized how truly sheltered she was until now...

She then noticed that the boys that had been wolfing down the food were now staring at her curiously. Jade gave a small and shy smile before walking over to the empty seat between Emily and Chris.

"Jade, these are the boys, Paul, Embry, Quil, Jared, and you just met Sam, my fiancé." Emily introduced, and Jade couldn't help but notice one more empty chair that was across from here. "Boys, this is Jade, my other niece besides Claire, and Chris's sister."

"Nice to meet you." She murmured softly.

They all gave nods and a few welcoming smiles before they continued to eat ravenously. After Paul, Jade believed his name was, served himself more spaghetti, there was no more in the serving plate. Noticing this, Jade stood from her chair, grabbing the plate and heading into the kitchen to refill it.

Emily saw this and smiled. “Thanks Jade.” Jade gave a small smile and then continued on into the kitchen.

She headed towards the stove and placed the platter onto the counter. Jade grabbed the spoon and began to put more pasta onto the plate.

"There you are," Jade heard Sam talk from the other room. "Go and get yourself a plate and sit down."

Jade thought she would finally know who the missing person from the table was. She got out a clean plate from the cabinet and got ready to hand it to the person.

She turned when she heard the footsteps getting closer and saw that it was another — shirtless — boy. He was scrutinizing the floorboards, looking like he was deep in thought. When Jade realized that he wasn't going to notice her being there any time soon, she cleared her throat and waited.

He looked up, slightly confused, and his eyes widened as their eyes met. Jade took in everything about him. He was tall, russet skinned with the body of a well conditioned athlete, and his hair was black and cropped.

It then occurred to Jade that they had been staring at each other in awe for more than a minute. "Here's a plate." Jade said, finally finding her voice.

He seemed to snap back into reality as well, and he nodded, smiling at Jade in appreciation. He reached out for the plate and took it into his grasp. Suddenly he let it go and it fell to the floor, breaking it into small ceramic pieces.

The two of them both knelt down and began to pick up the small shards one-by-one. There was a small commotion in the dining room as everyone began to stand up and walk towards them.

"Ouch," Jade muttered as one of the small shards cut her palm.

“Are you alright?” He asked quickly with concern, his voice mesmerizing.

“Um, yea... it’s just a small cut.” She answered.

They quickly resumed picking up the pieces before anyone could come inside.

“What happened?” Emily asked as she noticed all the pieces on the counter.

“I was handing the plate to… him,” Jade pointed to the boy, not knowing his name yet. “And I accidentally lost my grip on the plate. He tried to grab it, but it fell. I’m sorry, Emily.”

“It’s fine, honey,” She said. “No harm done.”

“Actually she cut her hand, where are the bandages?” The boy asked.

“Inside the left cabinet, are you alright?”

“Yea, it’s just a small cut.”

Jade looked down and realized it wasn’t as small as she had once thought. It was in fact an inch and a half in length and the blood was oozing out rapidly.

“Come over here and rinse that out.” Emily ordered, turning on the faucet.

The boy brought over the bandages and took her hand. He put a few cotton balls onto it and put some pressure on it. Emily then left, realizing that everything would be fine.

“I’m sorry,” He apologized.

Jade looked at him in confusion. “What do you mean? This wasn’t your fault.”

“No, but if I had just gotten a better grip, it wouldn’t have shattered in the first place.”

“It’s alright, really." She said.

He nodded, but didn’t look completely reassured. After a few minutes, he then switched out the cotton balls with clean ones and then put the large bandage over it.

“Thanks,” Jade smiled gratefully at him.

He nodded and smiled back as Jade got him another plate. She finished putting more spaghetti onto the dish and returned shortly after, setting it down onto the table, hands attacking it immediately.

Throughout the rest of the dinner, the boy kept staring at Jade, making her rather uncomfortable. As a result, she was blushing throughout the entire meal.

As dinner ended, Jade helped Emily clear the table and take the dirty dishes to the sink to be washed. As soon as the two of them left, there were howls of laughter.

“Oh, man! I can’t believe you!” voices howled with laughter.

“Shut up!” She heard the boy’s familiar voice demand. “I didn’t — it’s impossible!”

“Oh yea, because Bella’s your girl, right?” One of them snickered.

“Paul, shut your mouth.”

“Make me, Black.”

“Maybe I will!” He retorted.

“Hey, settle down!” Sam hollered at the boys.

They did as they were told and didn’t speak another word.

“Jade, why don’t you go upstairs and unwind?” Emily suggested. “I’m sure you must be jet lagged,”

“Yea,” She nodded. “Just a little.”

Jade left the kitchen and reentered the dining room. All eyes were on her and it became awkward instantly. She quickened her pace as headed towards the staircase. She soon entered her room and she let out a sigh of relief.

Jade sat down on her bed and grabbed the diary from underneath the pillow, turning to the first few pages that were a yellowish-tinge because of their old age.

August 14, 1789

Hello,

My name’s Amelia. The things I’ve seen are not meant to be known, however, they’re not meant to be secret either. So I feel that it’s my responsibility to keep my family in the future well educated about these beings.

My mother, Bernadette, was murdered by these creatures—these monstrosities. It saddens me, however, to know that I am a descendant of them.

They’re…


The rest of the page was torn off, and on some parts red ink was visible.

She turned the page and there was a knock on the door. Jade hid the book under the covers and turned towards the door.

“Come in,” She called.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. :)