Status: -[06/24/2011]- Currently being re-edited. (:

Only in the Moonlight Does This Feel Right

Work Things Out

Jade was in her bed, staring at the ceiling as she waited for her get together with Jacob later that night. She was shaking in her boots. She couldn't remember a time that she was this nervous. There was no doubt in her mind that this would be awkward beyond comprehension, and that was something that she just wasn't ready to deal with. Jade was simply hoping that it wouldn't be so bad that she would up and leave before their issue was resolved.

A knock on her door snapped her out of her deep thinking and she looked at the door that was now slightly open, a head poking its way inside.

"Can I come in?" Emily questioned. After a quick nod of the head, she walked inside the room, closing the door after herself and plopped onto the bed. "So... how was your first day?"

"Boring."

"Did you make some new friends?"

"I met Jared's girlfriend, if that counts."

"Kim's a very sweet girl." Emily smiled. "So I heard from a little birdie that you and Jacob have a date tonight?"

"It's not a date, Em. We're just going to talk about what happened over dinner."

"It's a date." She chuckled. "Are you nervous?"

"You can't even comprehend."

"Don't be, Jade. Everything is going to work out tonight, you'll see." She reassured. "Jacob's been a mess and I'm sure he wants everything to return to normal."

"He was really quiet today. It was... odd."

"He doesn't really talk much after what happened. Just do me a favor, Jade. Please, hear him out and don't jump to conclusions — I'm not saying I think you will, I'm only suggesting. Just try to have fun with him."

"I will, Emily. I promise."

"Great, thank you. Now, care to help me make the rest of dinner?'

"Sure."

Image


Jade stepped out of the steamy bathroom, a large white towel wrapped tightly around her torso. With haste, she made her way up the second flight of stairs and into her room so no one would see her so bare.

Jade jumped and blushed madly as she saw Jacob sitting atop her bed, twiddling his thumbs innocently. He looked up and his eyes widened considerably, his jaw dropped open slightly before he snapped it closed. Jade saw this though, and she couldn't help but let her confidence grow.

Jade's heart rate slowly began to slow down once again, however, she still was incredibly uncomfortable being in his presence. She hugged the towel tightly and Jacob stood up, hands at his sides awkwardly.

"I'm sorry," He began. "I just came up right now because I wanted to know if you still wanted to go."

"Yes, I do." She nodded. "You said seven o'clock, right?" Both their eyes traveled towards her alarm clock and saw that it was 7:20. "Oh crap, I'm so sorry. I lost track of the time in the shower. I'm an idiot..."

"No, you're not. It's fine." Jacob replied, giving a soft sigh as he walked towards the door as well as her. Her heart pounded inside her chest like a wrecking ball as she realized that he was so close and that the only thing that separated her from being completely nude in front of him was a layer of fabric. "We'll do this another time. Is that alright with you?"

"No... no, it's not. I'll be out in a few minutes, okay? I still want to go with you right now."

This brought a small smile to his lips before he nodded. "Alright, I'll be downstairs."

After closing the door, she sighed out loud. I've gotta hurry.

Jade was thankful that she had picked out her clothes before hand. So instead of searching for something to wear, she simply had to slip on her outfit. Within minutes, she was going down the steps and into the living room.

"I'm ready." Jade announced, meeting Jacob at the table.

He smiled at her and stood up. "You look nice." He commented.

"Thanks." She flashed him a quick smile in appreciation.

"Have fun, guys!" Emily shouted from the kitchen. "Be careful driving!"

"We will!" Jacob hollered back.

The two teens then exited the home and made their way towards Jacob's red Volkswagon Rabbit. The ride was shorter than expected, which pleased Jade because it was awkward and silent, and Jacob was soon parking in a garage, helping Jade out of her seat like a gentleman.

Jacob led her into the dinner they had went to before, and were, coincidentally, seated at the same booth. After giving drink orders, there was a silent tension in the air.

"This is all on me." Jacob declared with a smile. "Don't even think about trying to pay."

His voice made her look up at him and their eyes met each other. His dark chocolate brown eyes pulled Jade in, penetrating her soul. They had such an effect on her...

"If you say so."

It was silent until the waitress came back with their drinks and they ordered their meals.

What did I get myself into...?

"So how did you like your first day of school?"

Jade looked back at him and was yet again captured by his brown orbs. "It was... alright. It could've been better." She replied. "Mr. Murphy is a complete ass, though..." She mumbled.

Jacob chuckled. "He's always been one. Everyone knows it, even himself."

Jade nodded her head in response, a small smile on her lips. "Yea... so how long have Kim and Jared been dating?"

"For a while now, a year maybe. He adores her."

"I could tell."

The two didn't say anything for the rest of the meal, and when the food arrived, Jade was grateful. At least now she had an excuse for not talking with him. After Jacob paid the bill, they left the diner and began to walk around aimlessly. Their feet led them towards a park and after finding a bench, they sat down.

"Jade, do you want to talk about it now?"

She sighed before nodding. "Sure."

"Jade, I'm so incredibly sorry for what happened. I really am. Knowing that I hurt you so much... it's killing me inside." He began. "I... I'm not going to lie. Whenever I get really angry, I snap. I just can't control myself sometimes. You have to believe me, Jade... I would never, ever think of doing that to you. I never meant to cause you any harm in any way." All was quiet for a few seconds and Jacob swallowed hard. "Please say something, Jade..."

"I know that you're sorry, Jake. To be honest, I was... never really angry with you. I guess I was just more shocked, and maybe a little afraid at first." Jade replied. "I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have been so distant. I think I really just made everything worse."

"There's no need for you to be sorry, Jade. It was all me. I'm the only one who should be sorry. You had every right."

Jade shrugged her shoulders and sent him a genuine smile. "What's done is done, Jake. It's all in the past and has been forgotten."

He smiled back and let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

The two of them shared a long and warm hug on the bench. Jade had never felt so safe and loved. Being in Jacob's arms... it all just seemed so perfect, so right.

There was a low rumble and a light flashed across the cloudy night sky. Droplets of water then began to fall from the dark clouds, onto the ground below to leave a polka-dot pattern on the cement.

"Uh-oh, let's get going." Jacob chuckled, and the two rose from the bench, beginning to dash towards the parking garage through the drizzle that was turning into a total downpour.

Once underneath the shelter of the structure, they walked towards the elevator and pressed the "up" button. Jade's teeth began to chatter and her body began to quake from the icy cold temperature. The doors slid open and they both got into the box, pressing their floor number and riding up.

"Wow, you're really soaked." Jacob chuckled out, looking over her body to inspect the damage.

"Yes, well, if you haven't noticed, you are, too."

"I suppose I am, yes."

The elevator let out a soft "ding" and the doors once again slid open. They left the shaft and made their way towards his car, Jade's skin becoming covered in goosebumps.

Jacob looked over at Jade and noticed her current situation. He walked to the trunk of the Rabbit and opened it up, getting out a black leather jacket and tossing it to her. Jade stared at him in confusion, which caused him to look at her expectantly.

"Well, put it on."

"It'll get wet." She retorted.

Jacob rolled his eyes, a small smile lingering on his lips before he closed the trunk and made his way over to her. He took it from her grasp and slipped it on her like she was a child. "Can you ever just think about yourself and not others...?" He mused through a soft laugh.

"But I like being selfless."

"Just get into the car, Jade. You're getting colder by the second."

Jade did as she was told and got into the passenger seat, Jacob getting into the driver's. He revved up the engine and then pulled out of the parking space, soon driving back down the road towards La Push.

The silence was beautiful in its own way. It wasn't the awkward or tense silence they had experience in the past few hours, but it was one of understanding and contentment. Jade knew right away that things would be better from now on.

She was happy that they had gotten to work things out.