Sequel: Blanket of Fear

Bound to You

Chapter Twenty-Three

“So where are we headed?” Eliza asked Zack several hours later. He’d been driving ever since they’d left, not pulling over for anything. She knew that he had to some time; the car needed gas, and he needed cigarettes. He looked over at her for a brief moment before turning his gaze back to the highway. It was six o’clock at night, and Eliza saw that they were travelling south, just outside of Los Angeles.

“Chicago.” He told her. “It should only take us about three days to get there.”

She nodded, and then wondered why they were going to Chicago, of all places. Zack looked over to see the confusion on his face, and sighed. She gave him a small smile, and then looked out the window, seeing a little red car. Inside, a stressed-looking mother was in the driver’s seat, waving one hand angrily towards the backseat, obviously irritated with the two young children who looked to be bickering.

She smiled to herself as she watched them, somewhat missing the world they lived in. The world where there were no vampires; where there was no real danger. The world where her boyfriend wasn’t some kind of evil serial killer who wanted her dead. The world where she wasn’t slowly falling in love with a vampire. She wanted to be part of that world again, but she knew she’d never give up Zack to have it back. Little by little, she was becoming used to the chaos that came with being his ‘property,’ as he had called her when he’d first kidnapped her out of her dingy San Diego apartment.

“What are you thinking of?” Zack asked her quietly, turning down the music that was blaring. She turned to look at him, surprised that he’d spoken again. The drive had been mostly silent since they’d left, though it wasn’t an awkward silence.

“Life before you.” She told him honestly. “Before all of this. Before Sean was…whatever he is.”

Another long silence passed before Zack spoke again, his words clear. “And what do you think about it?” He asked her. She looked over at him, and then looked back out the window.

“I wouldn’t trade it.” She said quietly. “I mean, I know I’m still technically your property or whatever the hell that piece of paper makes me, but it doesn’t mean I want that life back.”

Zack gave a light chuckle, and she studied him carefully, wondering what he found funny about it. She decided not to press him for an answer, not wanting to make the car ride unpleasant. Before long though, she asked him anyway.

“What’s so funny about that?” She asked quietly. Zack looked over at her with a smile, a genuine smile. It was one she hadn’t yet seen on his face, and it was beautiful. She couldn’t help but smile back.

“That piece of paper you signed, it didn’t really make you my property.” Zack explained. “It just means that you’ve made an obligation to stay with Avenged Sevenfold until we—I—determine a time when you can leave.”

She smiled, and then looked out the window. “I wouldn’t leave even then.” She told him quietly. “I mean, I wouldn’t want to.”

Zack didn’t say another word, but instead turned the music up again. He grabbed her hand over the console, and kept his gaze on the road as he continued driving them down the freeway.