Sequel: Blanket of Fear

Bound to You

Chapter Twenty-Four

-x-
Two Days Later
Chicago, Illinois
May 23rd, 2007
8:32 PM

-x-

“This is where we’re going to stay?” Eliza asked as Zack pulled up to a large, two-story house. It was grey clapboard with old shingles badly in need of repair and dark, forbidding-looking windows. A medium-height chain link fence surrounded the main yard, and the side yard was contained within a decorative brick fence and overgrown bushes. Overall, it was a house Eliza couldn’t see Zack ever living in. He nodded, and opened his door. She waited for him to walk around the car and open her door before she got out, taking his extended hand.

“Yeah. It’s in a discreet location, it’s an average-looking house for the area. We can blend in with the people here. It will be very difficult for them to be able to find us here in Chicago.”

She nodded, and then looked around. “Why did we need such a big house?” She asked him as he led her into the house. He opened the door with a key, and then closed it quickly again. The first room was a small entry way, with three steps leading up to the kitchen and another staircase that led downwards, into a dark basement. He led her up the steps into the kitchen, and then looked at her.

“Luka needs a yard, and I don’t care for small, four-room houses.” He shrugged.

“Luka?” She asked. “I thought that he had been—“

Zack shook his head, a smile on his face. “He’s a smart dog.” He told her. “He knew when he was supposed to hide.

“So how’s he getting here?” Eliza asked him. He smiled, and made a short whistle-sound,. Eliza turned around in the kitchen to see Luka walking towards them, his tongue lolling out of his mouth in what could almost be passed as a lazy smile.

Eliza leaned down to pet his head, hugging him around his scruffy neck. In the brief time she’d known him, she had grown attached to the wolf-dog, and was relieved that he was still alive. He gave her a small lick on her cheek before sauntering out of the room, leaving Eliza and Zack alone.

“C’mon, I’ll show you the rooms.” He said, leading her to the dining room, which was to the right. It also had a patio door that led to a spacious deck. The next room was the living room, complete with a door that led to a porch with windows on each of the three walls. The master bedroom and bathroom was next, and after that was a bedroom and a laundry room combined into one. He took her up the stairs. Upstairs were two bedrooms, a small sitting area, and a spacious bathroom.

“So I guess that’s the house.” He told her. She smiled and turned hug him. “It’s not as bad as the outside makes it look,” She told him. He smiled, and hugged her back.

“I’m going to go call the guys and see what the situation is with Johnny.” He said quietly. She nodded, feeling sadness come up over her when she heard him say Johnny’s name. She realized that each day he was with them, the chance of him returning alive lowered.

He turned and walked down the stairs, and then Eliza walked towards the bedroom, needing to rest for a little while.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Chicago House

It's a creepy house I used to live in. ^_^