Sequel: Blanket of Fear

Bound to You

Chapter Twenty-Nine

“Eliza?” Zack asked, opening the bedroom door and looking in. She was lying in a lump on the mattress, covered by the duvet and seemingly asleep. He sighed and walked over to her, sitting on the edge of the bed, touching her hip through the cover lightly. She shifted slightly, turning her head back to see him before laying her head back down on the pillow, her hands curled up underneath the side of her head.

Almost like praying hands, Zack thought to himself.

“Are you alright?” Zack asked her, breaking the silence. The sheets ruffled again as she sighed and turned to look at him, her eyes sleepy-looking. He wondered if she’d gotten any sleep at all since learning of Johnny’s kidnapping.

“I’m fine.” She told him. Her voice didn’t match up with her emotions though, Zack noticed. She was lying to him. He wondered if she was still angry about their half-assed fight an hour ago. He called it half-assed because neither of them had really fought with each other; she had said some things she shouldn’t have, and Zack had been a little less considerate of her feelings than he could have been. But it wasn’t what he’d necessarily call a fight.

“Any headway on Johnny?” She asked quietly, her voice void of all emotions. Zack nodded, and she sat up.

“Yeah. He’s out.” He told her. “Short Shit managed to get himself free somehow.”

“Where is he? Why isn’t someone—“

“You didn’t let me explain.” Zack cut her off. “He called us from a payphone about ten minutes ago. He isn’t sure where he’s at, so he’s going to find out. Then he’s going to call us back and let us know. We don’t have a plan—and we won’t have a plan—until then.”

Eliza nodded, and then directed her gaze towards the floor. “I’m sorry for earlier.” She told him. “I shouldn’t have snapped at you. He’s more your friend than mine, and—“

Much to her surprise, Zack cut Eliza off by pressing his lips gently to hers, leaning back a few seconds later. He nodded, saying nothing. She realized that he was telling her without words that it was okay, and she nodded as well before laying her head against his chest.

“What do we do now?” She asked him as he wrapped one arm around her, the other pulling his cell phone out of his pocket so he could check the time. 10:13.

“Sit and wait.” Zack said quietly. “There’s nothing we can do but sit and wait.”

-x-

Johnny estimated that it had been about an hour since he’d escaped, give or take five or ten minutes. He knew it wouldn’t be long before Sean had the entire town crawling with his henchman; when Amara had fired the gun at him, it hadn’t hit him in a lethal area. Sean was still alive, and wouldn’t take long to organize efforts to take Johnny hostage again. He had limited time to figure out a plan, and he was running out of options fast.

The lighting was dim as he walked quickly down the sidewalk, though it was enough for his vampire eyes to easily see in. He was still in a residential part of wherever he was, but he realized that his best chance for survival would be to get into a commercial district.

“Can I help you, sonny? You’ve walked by my house three times already.” An old man called to Johnny from a quaint house with a small porch. Johnny stopped and looked over at him. He looked innocent enough, with a head full of genuine gray hair and wrinkle upon wrinkle on his face. Johnny walked hesitantly over to him, still suspicious of the man.

“I’m looking for a grocery store.” He told the man simply, not saying any more or less. The old man smiled and nodded, pointing his cane down the street.

“It’s down that way, sonny. Just take a left when you reach Main Street, and it’s right there. Can’t miss it.”

Johnny nodded before walking back towards the street, following the directions the man had given him. He just hoped that he hadn’t fallen for a trap, because this time, if Sean got him back in his hold, he’d kill him before he had a chance to get out.